Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

when they do this good,i post!

surfjazz

go yanks! to heck with the football only stuff! the boys are at it again! those yanks play the game like a hollywood script! all the way ny! they are pullin out the can of last minute wup a*s!-once again- here is a digitally sampled 21 gun salute to jeter,o'neill,and the whole team...you guys are the bombdiggitybomb :cool: !!!! (yes,this message proudly posted by surfjazz and his band undergroundpiano)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can certainly agree on the New York/baseball excitement. The Yankees are playin great and NY deserves a champion!

Ahhh, but you mentioned the "football only stuff" so I have to defend our fanatasicm. I simply ask you this;

Who will win the super bowl this year?

...dont know?

Neither do I.

Neither does anyone in the football thread, which is what makes it soooooo great!!!

Now baseball. . . if you asked everyone in here last spring who was going to win the world series, most would have said the Yankees. Although they havent won it yet(not yet), Im sure you see the difference and can understand OUR football craze...

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by Roto:

2 words...Johnson, Schilling

Unless they can prevent those guys from pitching 9 innings each in the next two games the streak will end.

Respectfully disagree. Granted they are two of the best three pitchers in baseball (the best, of course, being Pedro), but I think Andy's gonna match zeros with Randy on Saturday, and if it's close in the late innings, remember this: The Yankees always win when it's close in the late innings. Who knows why? The last two nights are beyond explanation. You can beat the Yankees, but you've got to blow them the F**k out.

Personally, I think Brenly has made some goofy moves. A little over-involved, if you ask me. I never would have started Schilling in Game 4, and while he pitched beautifully as always, he couldn't go nine, and the rest is history. Will he be up for 110 pitches in the hypothetical game 7?

Yanks fan since age 6. Love this current team more than any team I've ever loved, not just because they win, but how and with whom. I'm not giving this thing to the Yanks by any means, but I like their chances.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Normally, I only follow pro football (go Packers!); but I'm rooting for the Arizona Diamondbacks over the New York Yankees in the World Series.

Now I know that it's bad to been seen as anti-New York right now, but that's not where I coming from (In fact, I still plan on moving there). However, I grew up in Arizona back when we only had an NBA franchise: The Suns. Arizona has never had a championship team in pro sports (although in college sports, The University of Arizona has won in hoops and Arizona State University has won in baseball), so I'd like to see it happen this time. We were off to a good start, but IMHO the Diamondbacks have been shooting themselves in the foot.

Would you relieve a pitcher who is about to complete a shutout? Would you replace a reliever who has just retired the last six batters in a row? If you answered "yes" to these questions, then you must be Bob Brenly, the manager of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Maybe I shouldn't criticize Brenly. After all, he's the one who got the Diamondbacks in the series for the first time ever; but it sure looked like he got caught up in the spirit of giving charity to New York.

The Diamondbacks had yesterday's game won. They just had to leave Miguel Batista on the mound. Instead, Brenly replaced him with Wednesday's loser reliever Byung-Hyun Kim.

Huh?

"No disrespect to the fans or the Diamondbacks, but you have to sit back and kind of chuckle a little bit because it's so unbelievable," Yankee Chuck Knoblauch said.

After replacing Kim with reliever Mike Morgan, Arizona retired six batters in a row and almost scored again. So why did Brenly yank Morgan and replace him with Albie Lopez? Hell if I know!

Well it's back to Arizona. If the Diamondbacks stop beating themselves, they should win it all in seven games.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

BTW, baseball was my favorite sport back in the sixties when I was a little kid. My dad would take me to watch the Giants spring training games back when Willie Mays was playing.

My favorite team was the Dodgers, back when Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale pitched. I was also a Yankees fan, but by the time Mickey Mantle retired, I had caught football fever and never looked back.

Nowadays I get caught up in the occasional World Series (like this one), but it ain't like childhood. What in sports is?

FWIW though, if the Diamondbacks have to lose, I would want it to be to the Yankees; and if any city deserves a boost now, it's New York. So it's win - win as far as I'm concerned. Good luck to all. ;)

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

And now some mysterious (and unattributed) stories are surfacing that Schilling may not be in good enough condition to start game seven. ?? It sounds like gamesmanship to me, Brenly style. Brenly seems like a nice guy and a good baseball mind, but perhaps he has fallen into the Larussa/Valentine school of too-clever managing. Why he ever wanted to throw his rotation out of whack *when he was in command of the series" is just beyond me.

Anyway, what a great series, what a great postseason for the few people who still care about baseball. Of course most of the country is just yawning. Baseball lost its grip on the public imagination long ago.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived