Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any closet guitar players out there?

tenthplanet

At the risk of being struck by lightning...

Is there anybody who always plays guitar but is afraid to admit it? Here is your chance to emerge from the closet. Don't be afraid; your're among friends here.

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a guitar hack...umm, I mean player. I have an American Strat (tobacco burst) and an Epiphone acoustic.

I've also got a bad-ass custom built all black bass that has a built in Bartolini EZ-Q sweepable resonant filter, and a built-in Boss CE-2 Chorus pedal...really...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I play (not very well) the guitar, so far have only played on one of my tracks.

When I jam along with my stuff it sounds ok to me, but when i listen to it in cubase I sound very bad so back to my synth for the guitar part :)

Ian

I used to play a lot more than I do now. Even played guitar for the Univ. of Roch. Jazz Ensemble. Got to stop using samples and start recording the genuine article.

I have a '70 Gibson ES-345, a early-'80s Veillette-Citron solidbody (solid birds-eye maple - gorgeous), and an Ovation '83 Commemorative.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I've also got a bad-ass custom built all black bass that has a built in Bartolini EZ-Q sweepable resonant filter, and a built-in Boss CE-2 Chorus pedal...really...

dB

When I hear about Bartolini I think of the Bartolini gland.

But you might be able to drool over that to? :D

hmm, sorry boys

I was actually a guitar player before I got heavily into synths. I still play, but right now my focus is on getting my keyboard skills to the same level as my guitar playing.

I have a '97 Parker Fly and a really old beat up strat.

Chris

Me too :) Started learning a couple of months ago, but haven't had the time to spend on it that I wanted. This should change in a few weeks...

Ibanez guitar with a Line 6 POD.

I wouldn't even dare to say I know how to play, but it's fun. It's nice to have a guitar around so if a guitar player does 'stop by' I can record ;)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Even though 70 % of my songs originate from a digital piano or synth, I am primarily a guitar player. I started on guitar at age 16 and I'm just about to turn 42....I should be a better player after all that time. Wow....I'd better go practice some more.

It's tough juggling electric guitar, acoustic guitars, bass guitar, drum programming, and keyboard playing. I am well-rounded as a result of playing different instruments but I will never be a master at any of them. Still, I would have it no other way. The way that synths and guitars blend together on recordings is a magical thing. When I listen to a lot of young rock bands today you rarely hear keyboards....what a shame.

If you do play bass guitar, and I believe anyone who writes on the keyboard should, definitely look into the Bass POD. I believe it's a true classic in the making.

SteveRB, I've gotta echo your sentiment. It's much more fun to be a jack of all trades. There will always be people better at keys, electric and synth guitar, bass, viola, and drums than I am, but there won't ever be many who can play a little bit of each like I can. My demos are much more believable with really played parts then if I had tried to do everything from the keyboard.

I love the sounds of my ART SGX-2000 Express for guitar and bass, but its display is flaking out and I'm not sure if I want to send it back to ART for a fix or get a POD. Played bass and keys for a while in a band with a guitarist who played electric 6, acoustic 6 and 12 string through POD and a small combo amp, sounding great, but it doesn't seem like the programming options are nearly as versatile as with the ART. (I can't figure out why they discontinued it, it was a great box with only a few minor gotchas that would've been easy upgrades to a model 2001, such as a dedicated Bank Select button.)

Chris

Primarily, I am a piano, vibe/marimba, and accordion musician. On occasions where I gig with other bands who specialize in older jazz/pop music, I play jazz archtop guitars, such as a Gibson L5, L7, ES175, or Super 400.

I am not a solo guitar musician, but I have studied and apply many jazz guitar chord voicings and rhythms.

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

Do frustrated guitar players count? :D From time to time I've tried to play guitar, but could never develop any chops on it because my left hand just won't make those shapes. I've managed to learn enough about a guitarist's musical vocabulary to (hopefully) make my guitar simulations sound more credible. At least for chord voicings, fingerpicking patterns, etc.

When I was learning to bend pitch on synth, I actually spent more time listening and learning from guitar solos than keyboard solos. Hotel California is still one of my faves to imitate. I learned a lot from Jan Hammer too, but he was also imitating (iritating?) guitarists.

><>

Steve

I have played a bit of guitar all my life, except for the last six or seven years. When I earned my supper as an arranger, I often enjoyed playing the guitar solos myself. That's the thing: I can play decent solos (if the harmony is simple), but I can't play a rhythm part with the necessary balance of dynamics. I sold all my guitars years ago; I just kept one electric and one acoustic, just in case I have an attack of nostalgia...

Oh, and I find guitars with MIDI pickups very useful. I like to play raw parts, then perfecting them on the computer (I am perverse, I know). :D

marino

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

Dave, your bass sounds like a custom job. How did it come about?

I designed it, and a friend of mine built it for me.

It has a Warmoth body, with a Kubicki neck, shaved so it's right between a Jazz and a Precision. Black laquer finish, EMG P and J bass active pickups, gold machines and bridge, red light that indicates when the chorus is on, black hardware, ebony fretboard...and a gold dB logo on the 13th fret. :D

She is one bad bitch, boys. The Bartolini filter lets it sound like just about anything.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Hi!

I've been playing guitar most of my life on and off, but never professionally. In the last six months or so, I have been learning Johnny Smith arrangements by ear, and the results can be heard at http://www.geocities.com/turnerresearch/guitar if anyone likes this style of chord-melody playing. I am particularly interested in the Z-tar midi controller from Starrlabs.com. Has anyone used this controller? I am also learning to use my new G4/Digi001 system.... amazing!!!.. just incredible for someone like myself to have so much to work with.

Best Regards,

Dennis

Yeah, a Peavy Predator (USA-made strat copy, recently replaced the crap stock pickups that were going microphonic w/Fender American Standards, which made a BIG difference in sound) and a Ric 360/12 (of which I am NOT worthy!). Not that I'm any good on guitar, but I went through a period in the late 80's (when DX-7 piano & bell sounds ruled the earth) where I decided I hated keyboards and learned a few guitar chords. It wound up being useful when I played keyboards in a Devo tribute band, and would play rhythm guitar on some songs (or parts of songs) while triggering synth sounds with my feet. And I probably *write* songs more on guitar than on keyboards.

On the other hand, I AM a competent bassist (with a predilection for Rickenbackers) ... unlike guitar, I don't have to stay in the closet to play THAT instrument. :rolleyes:

Archived