Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

E-mu B-3

tenthplanet

How come with all the talk about hammond organ like simulators and keyboards nobody mentions the E-mu B-3 rack module? I've heard it and it actually sounds like a hammond with a leslie and not a sample of one. Anybody got one? How do you like it?

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tenthplanet:

How come with all the talk about hammond organ like simulators and keyboards nobody mentions the E-mu B-3 rack module? I've heard it and it actually sounds like a hammond with a leslie and not a sample of one. Anybody got one? How do you like it?

Michael

from what i hear... the rack kicks butt. i tried one out and i liked its tone and reality...

;)

I'm also very interested in this module and trying to find out what I can before I either cross my fingers and just order one or trek to Guitar Center (50 miles away) to try one ... For what's its worth, I read a overall very positive review in Sound on Sound mag. Its in the archives online, if you just run a search for "Emu B3".

chris

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

How come with all the talk about hammond organ like simulators and keyboards nobody mentions the E-mu B-3 rack module? I've heard it and it actually sounds like a hammond with a leslie and not a sample of one. Anybody got one? How do you like it? Michael

Well, as I understand it, the Emu B3 is a different animal from the other crop of physical-modelling-based clones like the VK7, Voce, or CX3. Rather than using (virtual) drawbars, it's a four-layer sample-playback box. I'm not sure how they do their Leslie sim, but it's not through an effects processor, I think it's done with sample cross-fading, a Z-plane filter, and a lag processor, but I'm not sure. I haven't actually heard the thing, so I'm not sure how it compares with the others in terms of sound. The MP3's sound pretty good, though.

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: GuestUser@GuestUser.com ]

Archived