Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was that synth in "Frankenstein?"

eightyeightkeys

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a 2600. One of the coolest things he did with it was running a mic from the drummer's hi-hat through a seriously frequency modulated filter. That's how he got that quacky rhythmic descending sound that leads into the "laser guns" duet with the drummer. He used to carry the keyboard around his neck Jan Hammer style during parts of the tune that he was playing it.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

d&dmusic, If you liked frankenstein, listen to "Baba O' Riley" with The Who. Pete Townsend's 2600 hooked up to a Hammond (or something else, perhaps?) sounded just incredible on that one!

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Hi mats :

I'll check it out. I've always loved the "sequence" organ sounds in The Who with filters, etc, changing/morphing the sound.

Very inventive/inovative stuff with the hihat trigger idea!

Anyway, not to focus on the synth too much, the composition itself along with the playing is very inspiring still to this day.

I wonder if music will come full circle again and we'll start to hear new progressive rock bands that will start to compose music in that direction.

I'd sure love it.

eightyeightkeys

Originally posted by mats.olsson@rockfile.se:

d&dmusic, If you liked frankenstein, listen to "Baba O' Riley" with The Who. Pete Townsend's 2600 hooked up to a Hammond (or something else, perhaps?) sounded just incredible on that one!

/Mats

Actually, the keyboard/synth part on Baba O'Riley is 100% Arp2500 (Arp's modular; the 2600 wasn't yet available when 'Who's Next' was recorded). It's "Won't Get Fooled Again" that used an organ (NOT a Hammond, but something cheaper and more home-oriented ... I'm thinking Lowrey but I could be wrong) running through the filter of an EMS VCS3.

There's a great BBC documentary (available on Rhino Home Video in the USA) with both contemporary ('71) and current (90s) footage of Pete playing the parts in question on the actual gear ...

And supposedly, Edgar Winter would wear his Arp 2600 (NOT a lightweight synth!) around his neck at some concerts ala Moog Liberation or SH-101 ... THAT must have been a sight!

Originally posted by d&dmusic:

I heard it today, again, and it still amazes me.

Incredible solos and incredibly expressive control over pitch bend, portamento, mod wheels.

Progress ? Jesus, have a listen to that again !

:rolleyes:

Luckily, I caught that coming home from work the other day. No volume restrictions in my vehicle. 45 watts x 2 on the tweets, 100 watts x 2 mids, 300 watts subs. Left me with labored breathing. I thought I`d been running!

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by d&dmusic:

I heard it today, again, and it still amazes me.

Incredible solos and incredibly expressive control over pitch bend, portamento, mod wheels.

Progress ? Jesus, have a listen to that again !

:rolleyes:

Luckily, I caught that coming home from work the other day. No volume restrictions in my vehicle. 45 watts x 2 on the tweets, 100 watts x 2 mids, 300 watts subs. Left me with labored breathing. I thought I`d been running!

"Let It Be!"

I remember you could do part of Frankenstein on an Arp Odyssey; but you needed a 2600 to pull of everything. They even had the Frankenstein patch in the 2600 manual. And the keyboard of the 2600 was not that heavy so you could wear it if you wanted to. Before his 2600 days Edgar Winter used to wear a electronic piano around his neck (quite a bit heavier.) And with that I will return to the trivia catacombs!

Michael :D:D

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Sometimes I think we're part production house, part museum .....We still have a small arsenal of Arp stuff here. A 2600 here that we've had since 74. It seems to weigh less than ten pounds. We also still have an Odyssey (the later orange version with the horrible rubber pitch pads) and an Avatar (Odyssey without a keyboard..mostly useless for guitar) and one of the little multi-slider step sequencers. There's also an Arp "Little Brother" which I think is an add-on oscillator (I'll have to go look closer to jar my memory). They all sit on a shelf in the equipment room and I can't remember last time any of them were powered up...at least 12-15 years.

I agree that there are a handful of really cool recorded hits that utilized the Arp stuff....but the main thing I remember about the days of the hits you now speak of are that ALL of the machines were/are major pains to operate...to the point of almost being detrimental to the whole creative process...no presets once you found a patch you liked (storing a preset meant using a pencil to draw in the patch cord and slider settings on a pre-printed picture of the front panel provided by Arp)...pitch drift problems, ....hassle hassle hassle. OT...I still have a few Arp brochures...ya know what they called "software" in those brochures? ....Arp logo T-shirts!

And the Moog stuff was just as bad. Moog had this thing called a Micromoog for awhile. You could set a heavy object on a key, and then just sit there listening to the various oscillators drift out of tune with each other within 30 seconds...what a pain that used to be in sessions.

In terms of the technology, I'm glad there are songs around like Frankenstein etc, but I'm also really glad those days are over. It is so great to have the equipment we have now.

So......

What's available now, as a VST plug-in, that can morph sounds in a silimilar way?

Almost like running a sound through a VCF and being able to record the changes in real time ?

I agree that most of those synths were very limited at that time. I had a hell of a time with those synths. Which makes it all the more incredible when you hear a song like Frankenstein and the creativity that went into that keyboard performance in spite of the technology of the time.

eightyeightkeys

Two things. One; the synths of the old Moog and Arp days were not as bad as some people think and a lot of the newer stuff is not as good as people think. Since is all started with Frankenstein let me just say once you saw it set up on a 2600 it is not a complicated patch. With a little practice most people can program and play an old style analog quicker than anything computer based.

Tuning of course was a problem. But violins, guitars, and a few other instruments also most be tuned. If you want the sound you have to take the technology that goes with it; at least for the time being. :eek:

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Archived