Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's your definition of football?

Pim

There seems to be some misunderstanding at this forum about football.

To me football is (in short):

A game with 2 x 11 players where you have to kick the bal into the opponent's goal. As the name suggest it is forbidden to play the ball with your hands, unless you're the goal keeper.

I love this game!

What's your definition of football? And do you like it?

This message has been edited by pim@dancewave.nl on 10-25-2001 at 05:44 AM

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by pim@dancewave.nl:

There seems to be some misunderstanding at this forum about football.

To me football is (in short):

A game with 2 x 11 players where you have to kick the bal into the opponent's goal. As the name suggest it is forbidden to play the ball with your hands, unless you're the goal keeper.

I love this game!

What's your definition of football? And do you like it?

This message has been edited by pim@dancewave.nl on 10-25-2001 at 05:44 AM

To add on :o nly one person on the team can use their hands, the goalkeeper and that is in a desperate attempt to stop the ball from getting into the net. Also, how football became soccer in the state's I'll never know, but I'll have you Americans know that it doesn't make any sense to call American Football football if feet are seldom used.

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

Originally posted by Striker1080:

Also, how football became soccer in the state's I'll never know, but I'll have you Americans know that it doesn't make any sense to call American Football football if feet are seldom used.

Who says we don't use our feet in American football! :D;) Feet are used to;

1. Run like hell while you're carrying the ball.

2. Run like hell to catch a flying ball that's coming your way.

3. Run like hell to catch and smash the guy on the other team carrying the ball.

4. Dig into the ground while ramming the guy who wants to smash the guy on your team with the ball

5.Kick the ball to score minor points.

6. Kick the ball to the opponent after you've scored points.

7. Kick the ball to the opponent after you've given up on scoring points.

We LOVE this game! :D:P

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

lol-your game involves lots of smashing of people doesn't it? you see, our gentle, graceful game of strategy involves great coordination and team play and all that other good stuff. not to mention that they have to run for 2X45-min. periods with short breaks-these guys are tough! and no protection either! arrrr, this is a real sport! ok, fine, forget the gentle part, that's too far-fetched.

Originally posted by Striker1080:

lol-your game involves lots of smashing of people doesn't it? you see, our gentle, graceful game of strategy involves great coordination and team play and all that other good stuff.

Uh-huh.

The difference here is that most of us understand how your gentle, graceful game of...heh heh heh...strategy is played. It's fairly simple, isn't it? ;) As I said in an earlier post in another thread, there are a whole bunch of variations of the exact game (including that game field hockey that the girls play) that all pretty much use the same strategy.

How many of you gentlemen who have posted here understand how American football truly works? Hmmm? I'm sure that in order to speak so knowledgeably, all of you must have a fairly comprehensive understanding of the game, right?

:D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

i did a bit of research. this is pretty long- if it's too much, just skip down to the Knute Rokne quote.

American Football is a distinct type of football that developed in the United States in the 19th century from soccer (association football) and rugby football. The forerunner of American football may have been a game played by the ancient Greeks, called harpaston. In this game there was no limit to the number of players. The object was to move a ball across a goal line by kicking, throwing, or running with it. Classical literature contains detailed accounts of the game, including its rougher elements, such as ferocious tackling. Most modern versions of football, however, originated in England, where a form of the game was known in the 12th century. In subsequent centuries football became so popular that various English monarchs, including Edward II and Henry VI, forbade the game because it took interest away from the military sport of archery. By the middle of the 19th century football had split into two distinct entities. Still popular today, these two sports included the football association game, or soccer (the word being a slang adaptation of the three letters, s-o-c, in Association), and rugby, in which players ran with the ball and tackled. Modern American football evolved out of these two sports.

"the ball is round, the playing field square, just like the sky and the earth. the ball flies over us like the sun, while the two teams face each other." a poem attributed to Li Yu (136-50 b.c.)

"the English quite obviously invented football, other countries invented scoring goals." from an online forum

regarding American Football:

this most popular American sport was created by the teams that now make up the Ivy League. From the day Princeton played the first intercollegiate game in 1869, these major schools of the northeast--Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Pennsylvania, Princeton, and Yale--shaped football as we now know it. Almost every facet of the game still bears their imprint: they created the All-America team, produced the first coaches, devised the basic rules, invented many of the strategies, developed much of the equipment, and even named the positions. Both the Heisman and Outland trophies are named for Ivy League players.The college fight song is an Ivy League creation (Yale's was written by Cole Porter)

Knute Rokne was once asked, "did you know that the British think we should not call it 'football'? That is what they call 'soccer.'"

"The British!" sneered Knute. "What do they know? These are the same people who think that an 'elevator' is a 'lift' and a 'trolley' is a 'tram'! I'm not even going to tell you what they call a cigarette..."

"But they argue that there is very little kicking in American football, so it doesn't make sense to call it that."

"What would they want us to call it?" asked Knute. "Melvin? Nigel? That would be a heck of a thing, wouldn't it -- 'Hey, guys, about a game of Touch Nigel?' Actually, the name 'football' has a long and distinguished history. It started at the first intercollegiate game between Rutgers and Princeton in 1869.

"Early in the game, Rutgers gave the ball to Josiah Blakely to punt and Princeton tried to block it. Elmer Katswiddle, the Princeton tackle, ran right into Blakely's foot as it was in midair -- so the 'foot' in 'football' was named in honor of Blakely's right foot. In fact, his shoe was cast in bronze and is on display at Rutgers. Today, it is a tradition at the school for young lovers to have their first kiss there after they get engaged."

"And the 'ball' part of the name is in honor of the pigskin he kicked?" I asked.

"No," Knute told me. "Unfortunately for Katswiddle, the steel cup had not yet been invented. He blocked the punt with a very indelicate part of his anatomy. He was rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery. However, that, too, had a happy ending. Katswiddle gained immortality by having the 'ball' part of 'football' named in honor of his removed left testicle -- which was immediately bronzed and put on display at Princeton.

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: wager47 ]

Football: Violence on the field.

Soccer: Violence in the stands.

Football: Boo the players if they make a mistake.

Soccer: Shoot the players if they make a mistake.

Football: Travel to another city to support your team.

Soccer: Travel to another country to start a riot.

Football: Fun for the whole family.

Soccer: Men only.

Football: Cheer the players at the airport.

Soccer: Clash with Immigration at the airport.

Football: Face Painters

Soccer: Hooligans

and...? ok, i was with you right up to the point where you said (american)football was fun for the whole family. you then proceeded to call us gentlemanly "soccer" players hooligans. enough! some of us just get...touched by some of the moments on the field, that's all. you american football fans just get drunk by some of them. hooligans! ha!

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Football: Face Painters

Soccer: Hooligans

:rolleyes: Yeah, I live in Holland so I wear wooden shoes; in the U.S.A. everybody is extremely rich; in France you can hear accordion music in every street; every Muslim is a terrorist... Sure.

i think dansouth's comparisons above do reflect most americans' opinions about football/football.

here in the states we don't get news about alex or figo, only video of riots.

for the record, i like football and football, but i don't really follow either.

i'm an nba guy.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: wager47 ]

Originally posted by wager47:

i think dansouth's comparisons above do reflect most americans' opinions about football/football.

here in the states we don't get news about alex or figo, only video of riots.

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: wager47 ]

To bad the opinion of the majority of a nation is formed by "the sensational news". Imagine non Americans considder all Americans as Jerry Springer guests. That would be pretty narrow minded...

Hooligans are criminals. Period.

Are football fans hooligans? No sir! Period.

Archived