Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help!

Cowfingers

well maybe someone can help me with our singer...hes developed a bit of a likeing for cannabis before gigs.most of the time it ends up ok but sometimes we just have to sober him up a little bit before he can move properly! anyway does anyone know of a quick way to do this (similar in effect to having strong coffee after alcohol.)

thanks if you know anything

-starfucker

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in my opinion, the "coffee sobers you up " thing is a myth.

one of the first times i got high i got really high. and i was still a bit out of it when i got to work the next morning- waiting tables for sunday brunch. one of the kitchen prep guys said to drink lots of water, and that helped. the side effect is obvious, you may have to extend a few guitar solos while your guy runs to the can.

i agree with krakit, though- if it affects his performance, it's unacceptable.

This message has been edited by wager47 on 10-24-2001 at 07:02 PM

i agree with krakit - if he's not gonna stop it he doesn't sing. as for liquids, i always try to have a strong coffee about 30 minutes before i go on (because i jump heaps when i'm on stage), but i always drink HEAPS of water before and on stage (and yes you do often have to go backstage and relieve, but it's worth it). drinking heaps of water daily heaps clean your skin too (something i am dealing with now).
"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

well theres a fair point about chucking him out, but without him the band and the sex-appeal is gone! hes a good guy and a good friend so we'll probably not threaten him. i;ve been told to give him lots of vitamin C,but it hasn't arisen since being told.as for water,he has lots of that anyway and it doesn't seem to do a huge amount...all i need is a magical cure for being stoned!!

-starfucker

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

I believe Vitamin C AND lots of water are your best bet.

Incidentally, I have played for a few years with a guy that used to smoke so much, I was amzed... And he NEVER got really stoned. He played perfectly! If I had done that, I would have been unable to play a note.

Go figure!

Stage fright???????? If you are a true friend, spend more time with him, tell him that he is one of the horses in the group, but.....I'd interview another singer. Need to clean up the act, or your group will be even worse off, think about the other players doing their best not to screw up a session. This just creates tension. Professionalism is the key.

I had a friend that played bass, he wasn't the greatest, had a van, had lots of girlfriends, basically did what he wanted, semi-serious, and all I could think of was that I wish we had a more serious player to help our group shine. I loved music more than most of my friends, couldn't understand why it was so hard to have this guy focused on the pleasure of music only. We had to constantly find him on breaks, he was in the van one time getting a quickie, I was ticked off. People waiting for our band to continue playing with problem after problem. Our band didn't go far until we got rid of him, hugs and kisses but you outa here. Then we started to be the best group in our home town, started playing in night clubs 3 nights a week and making very good money.

Lesson...... If it's music that you are serious with, everyone needs to be serious........too much competition out there to have one person be a weak link, even if he is a good friend. There are many other groups out there ready, willing and able to step right in and take over at a heart beat.

My thoughts.............good luck.......

My fad out........

Jazzman http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Don't pay him at the end of the gig. Next time he will perform sober.

Musicians who take drugs do think they play and perform better. Big mistake!

T.m.h.o. everyone has to take drugs whenever he/she likes. But NOT when he/she is working.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by pim@dancewave.nl:

Don't pay him at the end of the gig. T.m.h.o. everyone has to take drugs whenever he/she likes. But NOT when he/she is working.

That's it in a nutshell. He's got a job to do, and he either does it well, or he can be replaced. No other profession allows you to come to work too stoned to do your job, so why should the band tolerate it? (Would you take your car to a mechanic for a brake job if you knew he was too stoned to turn a wrench?) If he's really a friend, he'll understand and won't cause you any further problems. If he defies you, he's not professional enough for the gig.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Archived