Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

which Keith Emerson to get

pete psingpy

I know there are a lot of Emerson fans here. I'm embarrassed to admit that, even though I've been tinkering with keyboards for more than 10 years, I've never really heard his music. Only thing I heard was a record that I had as a kid that had a song called "Touch and Go". That's all I remember. So I'm looking for a recommendation so I can hear some of his best stuff. The best thing would be if someone could give me a very brief description of a few of his cd's to help me choose. Thanks,

Pete Psingpy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a big ELP fan (because I like good drummers http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif) and I'm sure true ELP fans will disagree with this....but, I like the album Black Moon the best. It doesn't have their classic songs on it but it has more contemporary sounds, fantastic production, and some really solid songwriting.

"The Best of Emerson Lake and Palmer" has most of their hits and is a good compilation.

"The Return of the Manticore" is a compilation with some re-recordings (Pictures at an Exhibition recorded in the studio in surround sound). 4 CD's. Lot's of great tunes. It has most of the tunes from my favorite ELP Album (Brain Salad Surgery) but the indexing, etc. is kind of weird sometimes...

Also, Nighthawks is an Emerson film score that has some interesting points as well (Sly Stallone was the star).

I found one in a used CD store...

This message has been edited by PatAzz on 10-24-2001 at 03:04 PM

The Return of the Manticore is a great compilation which I enjoy a lot. However, four CD's is quite a bit to swallow/buy at one time, given that you don't even know if you're gonna like his music. There's a two CD compilation which I also like a lot called "The Atlantic Years". It's got live "Pictures", Tarkus, Endless Enigma, Karnival 9, Lucky Man, mostly essential stuff. You won't get the newer stuff though. It's an orange-brownish thick two-CD jewel case, you might want to check it out.

memo.

Memo

Roland Fantom 6/Px-5S/Hydrasynth/DX7IIE!

MBP/Logic/Mainstage/Omnisphere/Native/Arturia

Roland Pk-5A

All my favourites have already been mentioned, but I've always had a soft spot for the live double album (vinyl) Welcome Back My Friends. You can really appreciate how wicked someone is when it's live. You know there wasn't several takes to get something right.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Brain Salad Surgery has playing that has to be heard to be believed.

That said, the TRIPLE live album (Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen: Emerson, Lake, and Palmer) is probably the coolest thing to hear, cause they're doing it all live. However, be aware that there's a LOT of self-indulgent solos, so it might be hard to take.

"Pictures at an Exhibition," while also live, is earlier, and a great listen too. Listen to "Blues Variation" at the end of side one. Some GREAT live jamming.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

imhfo:

Trilogy is the place to start due to being a very good cross-section of what ELP (and especially Emmerson) did.

Brian Salad Surgury would be my second pick.

Emmerson Lake & Planer (their first album) is also very good.

Tarkus is interesting enough, but a bit laborious to listen to. It's not good enough for them to tell us their idea, they have to tell us over and over and over again.

Works would take a little more attention than it warrants. Ah heck, it's downright pomppous, even for Prog.Rock standards.

Sure, any "best of" collection is worth it. But I feel that Trilogy and Brain Salad are their best efforts.

Actually, the box set that came out about 6 years ago was very good, with many of the tracks re-mastered. "Toccata" in particular really, really rocked, baby.

Which reminds me to start a new topic . . .

Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .

Also consider"Emerson,Lake, & Palmer Live At The Royal Albert Hall". Some new some old; all live including a version of Pirates without the orchestra. It's only one Cd so it's a good place to start. If you like it then you will be ready for Brain Salad Surgery and the rest.

Happy Listening!

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Buy these albums, in this order!

Brain Salad Surgery - This will introduce you and has some "air play" material on it. The familiarity will help you assimilate. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Tarkus - You have never heard any part of this album on the radio. You will recognize the G-Dlike abilities of KE.

Emerson Lake & Palmer in Concert - You've heard what they can do in a studio, it's time to hear them live. Remember to pick your jaw up from the floor after Piano Concerto No. 1 (Third Movement: Toccata Con Fuoco)

Trilogy - It's time to mellow out and discover the more subtle genius of ELP. Put on your headphones and turn down the lights.

Emerson Lake & Palmer - Like reading an "Origin Of..." comic book, it's time to see the humble start of this incredible band.

Pictures at an Exhibition - Okay, this isn't original material (for the most part) but the interpretations of Modest Moussorgsky's PAAE is top notch.

If you make it this far, you can buy anything with Keith Emerson on it (including The Nice), with the exception of "Three" and "Love Beach".

Enjoy!!!!

Originally posted by SteveRB:

I'm not a big ELP fan (because I like good drummers http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/tongue.gif) and I'm sure true ELP fans will disagree with this....but, I like the album Black Moon the best. It doesn't have their classic songs on it but it has more contemporary sounds, fantastic production, and some really solid songwriting.

"The Best of Emerson Lake and Palmer" has most of their hits and is a good compilation.

You aren't trying to say that Carl Palmer isn't a "good" drummer are you?

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

Also consider"Emerson,Lake, & Palmer Live At The Royal Albert Hall".

If you primarily want an introduction to Emo, get the video version of this. There are a number of good songs, and you get to see him do his bag of circus trick's:

- stabbing a hammond with knives

- demonstration of hammond pitch bend technique

- toccata and fugue and flight of bumblebee played upside down

- organ wrestling

- The ribbon controller played like a phallic symbol (just like any long haired guitarist)

- A demonstration of the "exploding roman candle from the ribbon controller" trick which damaged his thumb

- etc.

It's all pretty juvenile and tongue in cheek, but it gives you a sense of the fun he has onstage..... an entertainer and a keyboardist.

Regards,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

OK all has been said already - I am left with a last small bit of advice: I would stay away from "In the Hot Seat" too. They recorded that CD during Emerson's worst moment with his hand problems, and it shows - it sounds a bit plastic, and many keyboard parts sound sequenced.

marino

I agree with much of what's been said. Tarkus has always been my most favorite. If you want Emo live you might also check out "Then & now". You get Emo at the California Jam in '74 and also the late 90's before they broke up. The piano solo from '74 is a favorite of mine. Among the "NOW" items you get a somewhat re-vitalized Karn Evil 9 and that version of Take a Pebble with the cool jazzy part in the middle. When given the chance Emo gives a really imoressive piano solo. Don't get me wrong....I love everything Emo does but have always had a soft spot for his piano work.
There are no stupid questions but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots!

I agree with much of what's been said. Tarkus has always been my most favorite. If you want Emo live you might also check out "Then & now". You get Emo at the California Jam in '74 and also the late 90's before they broke up. The piano solo from '74 is a favorite of mine. Among the "NOW" items you get a somewhat re-vitalized Karn Evil 9 and that version of Take a Pebble with the cool jazzy part in the middle. When given the chance Emo gives a really imoressive piano solo. Don't get me wrong....I love everything Emo does but have always had a soft spot for his piano work.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

If you do, check out the liner notes - guess whose name is in the "Thank You" section directly after Bob Moog?

:D:cool::D

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

If you do, check out the liner notes - guess whose name is in the "Thank You" section directly after Bob Moog?

:D:cool::D

dB

Well I'll be! I guess I shouldn't be surprised!

Haven't checked tohse for a while. I also see a reference to Michael J Fox. Would you know if it is THE Michael J Fox and why? Just wondering.

Archived