Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RS-5 vs Yamaha S30?

skier4467

After researching many synths it seems like these might be the final contenders. I'm looking in the $400-800 price range. The Roland seems to have great preset sounds and nice action but not much tweaking/expansion capabilities. The Yamaha has more tweaking abilities, sampler software, expansion slots, smartmedia, BUT the keyboard action supposedly SUCKS according to many reviewers. I am mostly looking for good piano, e. piano, and B3-type organ sounds and playing gigs.

Should I get the RS-5 with good action or the S30 with more features and try to LIVE with the poor action?

I'd also take other suggestions. Like the Alesis Q6.1 is supposed to be good but they are going bankrupt and I don't want to be stuck with a dead company.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skier -- tough question. I owned the RS-5 for a week and have also spent some time the the S-30/80 in the stores. For your expressed sound needs, I think the S-30 is clearly the stronger contender. There were sounds I like on the RS-5, but IMO the Yamaha line is much stronger in breads and butter keyboard sounds. I guess it all boils down to the action. Are you at all able to do a side by side test? See if you can live with the S-30 keys?
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Keyboard action and feel is totally subjective. Never mind what others say - what do your fingers tell you?

I bought an RS5 and returned it. I felt they cut too many corners on quality to make the low price point. No aftertouch, the filter knobs would move while I played so they would "kick in" when least expected.

The S30 has all of the sounds and most of the features of the S80. If you're happy with the way the keyboard feels, what else do you need?

I would take the s30. I had complains for the action of my cs6x, but I made it a point of 'getting used to it' (it's an excellent controller otherwise), and I think it was mostly that I was used to a synth with a very different action.

As someone else said, they cut too many corners of the rs-9. The s30 is an excellent synth, IMHO. The piano is quite good, and the programmability blows away the rs-9.

AFAIK there is no 'sampling software' on the s30. I'm not sure what you are referring too.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

the s30 looks cheap but it has a monster of a fun time hidden beneath its crappy skin. go with what you think is best. i have always been torn between roland and yamaha, so do what suits you not by what someone says.

A most timely topic. One thing no one has mentioned is the Rs-5 is about $700.00 on the street and the S-30 is around a $1000.00 on the street. To my fingers the roland feels like a synth keyboard as does the S-30. I'd love to like the Yamaha but compared to the roland a lot of the sounds are too close to call. The Yamaha does have good keyboard instrument sounds but most of it's potential as a synth is just that you won't hear it in most of the factory sounds. How much tweaking are you comfortble with?

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

The price on the Yamaha S30 is currently $799.99 and the RS5 is around $695.00 the last time I checked .

At one time the S30 was $1000.00 . Yamaha dropped the price around 6 months ago to be more competitive . Personally I like the Yamaha .

The biggest problem I had with the Rs5 is that it's not very obvious how to navigate the sound choices . S30 is layed out better ! Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Dano is right. I goofed! The synths are now only $100.00 apart. I say try the Yamaha and see if the dealer will let switch to the Roland if you don't get along with it.

Have fun!

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Originally posted by skier4467:

After researching many synths it seems like these might be the final contenders. I'm looking in the $400-800 price range. The Roland seems to have great preset sounds and nice action but not much tweaking/expansion capabilities. The Yamaha has more tweaking abilities, sampler software, expansion slots, smartmedia, BUT the keyboard action supposedly SUCKS according to many reviewers. I am mostly looking for good piano, e. piano, and B3-type organ sounds and playing gigs.

Should I get the RS-5 with good action or the S30 with more features and try to LIVE with the poor action?

I'd also take other suggestions. Like the Alesis Q6.1 is supposed to be good but they are going bankrupt and I don't want to be stuck with a dead company.

Hey Skier...If you're still on the fence go to www.yamahas80.com (not connected to Yamaha) and check out the Mp3 page. Listen to the Blue Miles one and I think you will like what you hear. The song samples have some sounds on them that are better then what you've proably heard in the store.

Michael

Archived