Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dead cdrom

i have a dead mac cdrom. it worked until last night, then stopped mounting. it will not show up in system profile. it will not show up in drive setup. its just not there. and until just now, it would eject. my laurie anderson cd is in there. if i cannot get my cd out normally, i WILL take it out with a large hammer and send the shrapnel to apple. sl, how hard is it to get a replacement? bestbuy wont have one. its a SCSI cdrom, needs to be apple i beleive or it wont boot from the cd? i am very irritated right now, i just spent 7 hours yesterday building (can you say sandcastle and cat shit) windows 98 and that alone made me VERY UNHAPPY and now my drive goes out. BAH. its probably all the time the mac had to read those damn windows discs (it takes over ONE HOUR to install windows 98 on virtual pc) so i guess its like $80 for an 8x apple cdrom...but where does one getit?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most CD-ROM drives have a little hole in the front to push a long narrow wire into. If you can find it, straighten a paper clip and push it into the little hole.. and push hard. The drawer should come open enough to grap and pull

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

found one brand new apple cdrom for $19.99 thats sick. these things were $300 a few years ago. hell i can pick up a gig of ram while i am at it, $200. one 64mb stick used to be $197 and that was only after they came down in price. i think i will get another 36.7 gig scsi drive for $125, another 256mb ram for $50. i SHOULDA got the HP9600 CDRW apple bootable for $69, but i digress

Archived