Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there a Mac Equivalent Gigasampler?

Dan Worley

Aside from terrible customer support, I've been hearing great things about the sounds that come out of Gigasampler, especially acoustic piano and orchestral instruments--which is what I'm most interested in. Is there an equivalent Mac based soft sampler? I just can't bring myself to putting a Windows based machine into my studio...my life is hard enough already.

Thanks,

Dan Worley

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that Tascam is in control of Gigasampler, I believe that customer support has improved dramatically.

However, if you are looking for sample streaming and Gigasampler library import on a Mac, your only choice at this time is Steinberg's VST format HALion. HALion has been receiving rave reviews and it also imports most other library formats as well.

Follow this link for a current discussion on HALion vs. Gigasampler.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Thanks, Geoff. Much appreciated.

Okay, you purchased HALion in August, right? It's now mid October. Any chance of hearing your review on it?

Is there a mailing list or forum dedicated to HALion?

Thanks and regards,

Dan Worley

Dan, I hate to say it, but HALion remains in a box in my closet right now, along with Battery, Reaktor, Absynth, and OASYS! I've simply been too busy to install them and set them up. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

In the meantime, HALion has made the cover of many of the major gear magazines. The English magazines (Sound On Sound, Future Music, Computer Music, Muzik) have all reviewed it now. I believe within the next two months, most of the American magazines will have reviewed it as well.

I hope to be caught up with my workload in a few weeks. Perhaps I'll be able to share my overdue impressions sometime during the holiday season. Sorry...

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

No worries, Geoff. I understand how it is. If I pick up HALion and get it working with my system (gulp), I'll let you know how it goes and what I think of it.

Now that I know that Tascam has taken over Gigasampler, I'm kind of wondering if they'll come out with a Mac version. It always seemed weird to me that it was not available for the Mac--$$$$. I'm not going to hold my breath though, so I'll probably pick up HALion and check it out. I need to do a little more research first.

Thanks again,

Dan Worley

I purchased Gigastudio in a preassembled PC in July..

The puter was made for audio.. Cost was $1000 give or take higher than building it myself $3000 + a 2408 and a Midisport($4600)Canadian total... The system is rock solid.. I leave 2 PC's running 24/7.. I can't emphasise that whatever system you run... With the size of alot of those sample libraries you're gonna wanna dedicate a system just for those libraries... I've just got the Gargatium(Sp-1) Strings selection.. I gotta say..... Holy F#ck... They are huge samples so realistic it's scary...

I'm getting a small vib(Don't quote me) that possibly mid Nov.. Giga 2.5 (MAY) come out in Mac format... "It's just a hunch", the Tascam guys are hinting something is coming..

Can't help ya with Halium....

Later.

Brian

Smile if you're not wearin panties.

seclusion wrote:

I can't emphasise that whatever system you run... With the size of alot of those sample libraries you're gonna wanna dedicate a system just for those libraries... I've just got the Gargatium(Sp-1) Strings selection.. I gotta say..... Holy F#ck... They are huge samples so realistic it's scary...

Thanks Brian,

That's what I was thinking of doing, running a separate Mac for a soft sampler--whichever one that turns out to be--and a few offline audio apps.

Regards,

Dan Worley

Archived