Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis, Alesis--where for art thou???

Rick K.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I was driving at with my After Alesis post a few days ago.

I have heard that the guy who owns Promark(or is it Numark) is buying them.

But I heard this from a former Alesis dealer. I corresponded with another dealer who says that Alesis is back and up and running. The parts situation should get better.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Um, I'm sure that all of you scholarly gentlemen know that the word "wherefore" means "why", not "where". When Juliette asked "Wherefore art thou Romeo?", she wasn't asking where the little twerp was hiding. She was asking rhetorically, "Why, of all people, did I fall in love with the son of my father's enemy?" Literally, "Why is it YOU, Romeo?"

So, are you asking "Why is it YOU, Alesis? Why have I fallen in love with YOUR products, instead of some other manufacturer's products?", or do you just want to know where the Alesis cats have been hiding as of late?

Actually, it's already a done deal. And it's not Numark that's buying them, but the president of Numark. They're going to stay separate companies. Here's the first paragraph of the press announcement posted on Harmony Central:

June 2, 2001 -- Alesis Studio Electronics today unveiled the final phase of its company reorganization. It was announced that Jack ODonnell, President of Numark Industries LLC, received court approval on May 24, 2001 to acquire all assets of Alesis Studio Electronics and its affiliates for an undisclosed amount

The full announcement is here:

http://www.harmony-central.com/News/2001/Alesis-New-Ownership.html]

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 10-17-2001 at 07:25 PM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Yes, in 2001, Alesis ...

* Ended joint venture products with Groove Tubes and ... uh ... I forget which drum machine company

* Went bankrupt

* Was bought out by the owner of Numark (it's not a subsidiary of Numark, and Alesis appears to have no intent of making DJ-related stuff, except for the AirFX/AirSynth thing, but the two companies share common ownership)

* Ditched most, if not all, of its old service centers (after allegedly not properly paying them for warranty work and not shipping replacement parts, which probably answers the original question in this thread ... I was told that when I called my local former Alesis service center about getting a replacement for the one bad key on my A6)

* Laid off most of its staff, except for the people involved with the "hot" products that the company will be focusing on (for instance, there were people working on Andromeda OS updates throughout the whole crisis period, and a major update was released in August, with a couple subsequent minor updates)

* Are now getting back into production; I know nothing of what the schedule will be, although from what I've heard, you shouldn't hold your breath if you're waiting for an Andromeda (the only Alesis product I really know anything about, just in case this message makes you think I'm actually "informed"), but there WILL be more available, eventually

All the "public" information can be found on the Alesis website (and our esteemed moderator may have something to add), but I'm not sure if that will help you with your QS screen http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif (your best bet might be to find out the OEM part number and order one from an alternate source) ...

And thanks for the English lesson, Dan! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif I *had* learned that in high school, but had subsequently forgotten all about it ...

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Um, I'm sure that all of you scholarly gentlemen know that the word "wherefore" means "why", not "where".

Sir South speaketh sooth, fellow musical breathren. Wherefore he hath doth proferred his scholarly advice to we, the uninitiated heathen flocks, is but a mystery. Ah! That is the rub. To speak, perchance to maketh an idiot unto our loathsome selves. Better silence pervade the dreary night.

- Jeffspeare

Originally posted by DougP:

our esteemed moderator may have something to add.

Not me, man - I'm staying out of it.

I will say that everything in Doug's post is, to my knowledge, correct.

BTW - the drum company was Hart Dynamics . They don't make drum machines, they make the pads that Alesis used for the DM Pro Kit.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Originally posted by wager47:

alesis, poor numark, a new screen for my DMpro?

Hey, wager -

If the problem with your DM Pro screen is that it's losing pixels, it may not need to be replaced - mine had a similar problem that it turns out was just some shoddy soldering that a friend of mine was able to fix pretty easily...

Hope that helps,

dB

Thank you all for your help. Maybe db knows who makes the display for the QS7? That's all I need for now. I'm wondering if it's time to take it off my gig rig for awhile--at least until there are parts available for it.

What in all of your cumulative wisdom would be a good replacement?

Needs:

Organ action

Portability

Nice sound palatte with organs, brass, strings, etc.

Price point

Serviceability

I hate the fact that I'm thinking this way, but it's kinda like saying 'good bye' to an old friend.....

Now I'm really depressed!

Originally posted by rickkreuzer:

Thank you all for your help. Maybe db knows who makes the display for the QS7? That's all I need for now. I'm wondering if it's time to take it off my gig rig for awhile--at least until there are parts available for it.

I hate the fact that I'm thinking this way, but it's kinda like saying 'good bye' to an old friend.....

Now I'm really depressed!

Rick - have you talked to Advanced Musical Electronics in LA? They obtained many Alesis parts, and they might be able to help you with your "old friend" - I know what you mean!

Here's their number: 310-478-0589.

Good luck!

Laurie Z.

http://www.lauriez.com

http://www.mp3.com/lauriez

Originally posted by lauriez@lauriez.com:

Rick - have you talked to Advanced Musical Electronics in LA? They obtained many Alesis parts, and they might be able to help you with your "old friend" - I know what you mean!

I have been trying to get warranty service through Advanced since the Spring. They still haven't got it together. Maybe you can pay to get it fixed, but no warranty service yet.

I like a weighted keyboard myself - gigging a QS8 put 50 yards on my tee shots!

So, this is a weighted board and I don't know if there is a semi-weighted equiv, but if you need to replace your QS7 check out the new Roland RD-700. Its not perfect - getting to and fro from piano to Hammond requires about 5 keypresses (unless there is a fast way I don't know about) and there's only four sliders so you have to toggle between upper and lower drawbars, which is a giant oops waiting to happen in a gig situation.

But the sound of it is great and its significantly easier to cart than the QS8.

Thanks. I already have an RD700 which I use as my full size stage piano! I love it. Love everything about it. My quandry is if I need to replace for my 2nd stage board (the QS7), which I prefer to play the organ on and thus prefer the semi weighted action. It just helps keep skin on my hands when doing schmears.

I agree with your 'Organ action' remark!

Byrdman, do you find the QS 8 action more physically challenging even than other weighted synths? I'm not a true pianist, but have been trying to teach myself some chops the last couple of months on my QS 8, and I'll be damned if this keyboard is not making the difficult even more so. It seems like such a "long throw" on this keyboard's action. Not only does this appear to be giving me tendonitis in my right wrist but I think (and have always suspected) that the QS 8 adversely affects my time feel. I always feel like I'm pushing to stay in time, fighting the action. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

Originally posted by Byrdman:

I like a weighted keyboard myself - gigging a QS8 put 50 yards on my tee shots!

So, this is a weighted board and I don't know if there is a semi-weighted equiv, but if you need to replace your QS7 check out the new Roland RD-700. Its not perfect - getting to and fro from piano to Hammond requires about 5 keypresses (unless there is a fast way I don't know about) and there's only four sliders so you have to toggle between upper and lower drawbars, which is a giant oops waiting to happen in a gig situation.

But the sound of it is great and its significantly easier to cart than the QS8.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

It seems like such a "long throw" on this keyboard's action. Not only does this appear to be giving me tendonitis in my right wrist but I think (and have always suspected) that the QS 8 adversely affects my time feel. I always feel like I'm pushing to stay in time, fighting the action. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

Keith Emerson had similar comments about the long throw of the QS8's keys. You're in good company.

dB

Magpel,

I agree with your comment about the QS8. That's why I went with the QS7. I much prefer the RD700 or even the Kurz PC2X for piano action. I was also disappointed with the XV88's action. You definately aren't alone on that one. However, if you can build your chops on a QS8, you'll be able to play FOREVER on any of the above!

'...sexually interactive??'

Rick

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Keith Emerson had similar comments about the long throw of the QS8's keys. You're in good company.

dB

But Dave, your own report that the QS 8 serves you fine as a master controller has always made me think, "it's just me," me and my unconditioned fingers and wrists. Very subjective thing, I guess.

dB

And the similarities between Emo and myself don't end there: we both have a left AND a right hand. His tend to be a little more coordinated than mine, however. But having just mastered Purcell's Air and a Bach Trio, I think I am only several light years behind now. Now, seriously, it's good ot hear that some real players have experienced the same problem with the QS 8. I'm going to stick with it however.

Originally posted by Magpel:

But Dave, your own report that the QS 8 serves you fine as a master controller has always made me think, "it's just me," me and my unconditioned fingers and wrists. Very subjective thing, I guess.

Indeed it is - I quite like the QS8's action. Emo, on the other hand, wasn't so taken with it. Alesis had to physically modify the one that he toured with.

dB

Originally posted by synthetic:

I have been trying to get warranty service through Advanced since the Spring. They still haven't got it together. Maybe you can pay to get it fixed, but no warranty service yet.

Right now, Alesis warranty service is only available *directly* from their factory (at least if you're in the USA; it might be different overseas).

All this talk of the long throw of the QS-8 keys makes me wonder...Can some one compare this; say to an action on a brand of acoustic piano. I've tried a Qs-8.1 and it never struck me as weird (but if you saw the spinet my parents had; let's just say it had keys.)

Will read with intrest any thoughts you all have.

Thanks Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Originally posted by DougP:

Right now, Alesis warranty service is only available *directly* from their factory

What factory? To the best of my knowledge, the few remaining Alesis employees moved into the Alesis semiconductor office. I don't believe that there is any factory to speak of in the US.

I was under the impression that warranty service is only available through Advanced, and one other facility in NY - DB sound, I think (no relation).

dB

I was under the impression that warranty service is only available through Advanced, and one other facility in NY - DB sound, I think (no relation).

dB

Dave:

Might that be dB Musical Electronics in Buffalo? That's actually good news for me. Don Beseker (the owner) is the only tech I ever let work on my keys.

That reminds me: We haven't heard from Kevin in a while have we?

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived