Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano on a budget..

Howdy all...

I have a Korg x-5 for home studio use, and I'd really like some better piano samples, and am looking for opinions on any somewhat affordable sound modules. IN particular the Oberheim MiniGrand Module, being that it can be had for 200 bucks.

STill, any recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks for you time,

Doc

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For about the same money, I'd rather go for the Alesis Nanopiano. It's got a really nice stereo Bosendorfer sample in it. Dave Bryce likes it, and he's got every keyboard in the world that's worth owning! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

The only catch is that you'd either have to treat it like crystal, or buy two of them because if one broke, you'd never be able to find service for it!

BTW, recent Oberheims aren't the REAL Oberheim. The name is used by Viscount, an Italian organ manufacturer. Proceed with caution!

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Yes, but the MiniGrand sounds really nice. It does have just one sound, really - but I find it very playable. Nothing to compare with Gigapianos et al, but better than most other modules IMO. I prefer it over the Kurz Micropiano (which I have) and Yamaha P50. BTW the only wise advice is, "play it before you buy!"

To put it in perspective: I think the OB12 sucks. Good interface, blah sound.

marino

Just my 2 cents about the Alesis piano. I have a QS7. The piano sound is nice, very playable and dynamic. But not very realistic. Obviously price is a big issue for you otherwise I'd recommend a sampler loaded with William Coakley's perfect piano. I've heard good things about Yamaha's P50m I believe it's called and Kurzweil Micropiano, even though they're kind of old now. You could probably get a good deal on a used one.

Archived