Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Are there latency problems when combining a keyboard (Triton) with computersampler?

d-kay

Yes, how do you compensate for the Latency?. I mean, I want to playback sounds from a Keyboard (for example Triton) together with some softsynths. The Latency on the softsynth would probably be higher than the Latency for the Triton. Is there a way to compensate in Cubase?. I'm mainly talking about playback, not realtime. Is the Preroll-option the way to go?.

And finally, how do you know the latency of the Keyboard(Triton)?

/d-kay

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have 2 PCs running GigaStudio aswell as a KORG Trinity that I frquently run alongside. I've never noticed ANY latency issues with this combination. The MIDI cables are all pretty much the same length and it really doesn't take any longer for the signal to go through GigaStudio than it does to go through my Korg so there aren't any differences. At least none that are apparent to my ear and I have a pretty damn good ear when it comes to rhythmic accuracy and time feel.

I use Cubase on a G4 with a MIDI MOTU ExpressXT and I've never had to bother with timing compensation of any kind.

Gav

Latency is very much dependent on the interface driver for your soft synth or soft sampler. Speaking in the case of GigaSampler/GigaStudio, the low latency is partially achieved via the driver design for the GSIF compatible interface, not the MIDI control device like your Triton. That's why the latency spec will vary depending on what interface you use.

You didn't mention what computer interface you're using...this could be the culprit, as could be the processor speed, amount of RAM and other features of your Mac or PC.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

You didn't mention what computer interface you're using...this could be the culprit, as could be the processor speed, amount of RAM and other features of your Mac or PC.

- Jeff

Well, the latency of my softsynths will vary, depending on how many I add. If I use perhaps 2 Reaktor-plugins together with HAlion then I have to use the MME-drivers (which means 750ms of latency). Otherwise I can get 11ms with the DirectX (fake ASIO) drivers. I use a PC Athlon 600/256MB/Soundblaster Live but I'm considering buying better equipment. But the problem will remain, there will always be a (barely) noticeable latency of perhaps 8ms on the computer, and x ms on the Triton. So, some kind of synchronisation is needed.

For example, when I playback from the computer then Triton will probably have the almost zero latency, but the synths will have at least 8ms.

Anyone know the correct way to compensate for this in Cubase?.

I'm considering buying my first external equipment (keyboard KARMA or the Triton), and it will be of highest concern to get the VSTi-plugins in my computer and the keyboard to work well together.

,thanks.

/d-kay

Archived