Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

some advice please on a weighted controller

shaifire

hey finger friends.

I'm looking for some advice on an 88-key controller. Price is the main factor, I'm hoping to find something of high quality but a few years old that I should be able to get for a somewhat reasonable price. Advice is much appreciated. thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You need to provide more info on what it is you want. Are you looking for a controller with built in sounds? What kind of controller features are you looking for( mult midi outs, realtime controllers such as pedal inputs, sliders, breath controller etc., polyphonic aftertouch)? Finally what do you consider reasonable as far as price? I would recommend a roland A-80 and coincidentally I am selling one for $895. However this may be the furthest thing from what you are looking for.

Shaifire:

If you simply need 88-keys, and not a whole hoopla of MIDI functions, then I'd recommend the Fatar StudioLogic SL 990. new they can be gotten for ~$499.00, and Fatars have wonderful actions.

Be aware that it only transmits on MIDI channel 1. If you need more MIDI functionality than that look into the SL-880, but it's around $699.00

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Hi, Shaifire.

Maybe I can finally help somebody here since I've received so much help! Musician's Friend ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com ) had the StudioLogic SL 880's for $499 earlier this week as a web special. I was researching weighted 88-key controllers for a friend recently & Joe was helping me out, too.

I don't know what my friend ever decided, but it sounded like a great deal to me.

Thanks a million to both you guys, HolyTerra and Joe...

I'm hot on the trail of a kickass controller.

They look fantastic!

I wish I could check one out before I bought it.

Is there anything else I should know about the SL-880?

What's the "SE"?

On musicianfriend it only mentioned the contant stike force action for the 990?

Does the 880 have it?

I'm really totally blown away by the price.

You guys may have made my year. I feel like an excited little kid. damn!

This message has been edited by shaifire on 10-12-2001 at 03:18 PM

Originally posted by shaifire:

Thanks a million to both you guys, HolyTerra and Joe...

I'm hot on the trail of a kickass controller.

They look fantastic!

I wish I could check one out before I bought it.

Is there anything else I should know about the SL-880?

What's the "SE"?

On musicianfriend it only mentioned the contant stike force action for the 990?

Does the 880 have it?

I'm really totally blown away by the price.

You guys may have made my year. I feel like an excited little kid. damn!

The SE gives you Ivory colored keys. Constant Strike Force means that the bass keys require a little more pressure than the high treble keys to simulate the heavier hammers they are required to push. Makes it more piano-like.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived