Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yamaha 120 / 120s????

Michiel

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by michielxp30:

Anyone else???

I have the introductory brochure on it, and it looks to be a P80 with a 12-watt speaker system - it has all of the same specs.

The Yamaha folks tell me that the unit will be available for purchase in 6 or 8 weeks.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I have the introductory brochure on it, and it looks to be a P80 with a 12-watt speaker system - it has all of the same specs.

The Yamaha folks tell me that the unit will be available for purchase in 6 or 8 weeks.dB

I don't know if it's true, but I read a user review of it over at Harmony Central, and the guy says they have revoiced the Rhodes patch. The original P80 rhodes patch (the main one, not the variation) uses velocity-switching, but only has two layers, so the switch is crude and very audible. Totally un-playable, IMHO. The variation Rhodes on the P80 has only one layer, which is not necessarily a bad thing. But it is a bad Rhodes sample, and doesn't sound like a Rhodes. This reviewer says they have improved the Rhodes patch on the P120. Of course, I am skeptical, and will have to hear it for myself before I believe it.

Originally posted by guestuser@guestuser.com:

I don't know if it's true, but I read a user review of it over at Harmony Central, and the guy says they have revoiced the Rhodes patch.

Could be - all I know is that in the brochure that I have (which has the P200 as well as the P80 and P120), every spec seems to be identical between the two units. It doesn't say anything about revoicing any programs.

dB

Originally posted by michielxp30:

There's some info at Yamaha.com now!

Dave, I don't think the sounds are identical: there are new samples (clavinet, strings etc.). I sure hope the rhodes sounds better...

Hmmm - I guess the preliminary brochure that I got from Yamaha was wrong - specifications subject to change 'n all...

Thanks for the info!

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Hmmm - I guess the preliminary brochure that I got from Yamaha was wrong - specifications subject to change 'n all...

Actually, upon closer examination, the specs on the brochure that they sent me are definitely wrong...unless all of the P-series units all of a sudden developed a video output and floppy drive... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Sorry about that, guys...

dB

Okay, I got an updated version of the brochure from Yamaha, and there are actually a few differences.

First of all, as noted by Michielxp30 above, the wave memory is in fact different. The P120 does have a few more samples, including the clav and strings, as well as guitar, more basses, choir, and one or two others; however, it appears to not have as many pianos as the P80.

The recorder's song memory remains at 10,000 notes/2 tracks, but there are three locations instead of one.

Also, the P120 appears to use a new kind of sustain pedal that allows for half-pedaling - very cool. Plus, the P120 has a jack for an aux cc pedal.

Once again - sorry about the confusion. The text on the first PDF brochure that I got was backwards, so I didn't read it as carefully as I should have. My bad...

dB

Archived