Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicians Institute, KIT program?

Keyz316

Hey everyone --

(I posted this at HC earlier but didn't get much response - was wondering if you guys could help out)

I just received my information packet/course catalog from Musicians Institute (for more info see www.mi.edu ). I'm interested in learning more about the school and figuring out if it is the direction I want to take concerning my education. I was wondering if any of you attend or have attended Musicians Institute (in the KIT - Keyboard Institute of Technology - program) or know friends or family who attend there, and if so can you give me some feedback?

I graduated from highschool a few years ago and have since taken some GE classes at Fullerton College, CA... but I'm not sure which direction I want (or would be best) to take at this point. My family is encouraging me to get a full "degree" in music, which I'm not opposed to, however I am curious about the "certificate" options offered by schools like MI. Would the music degree definately be helpful to me in the future so far as getting jobs, or does the music industry judge more by skill and real-world experience over a piece of paper (degree).

I feel like I would be able to be a "better musician" by focusing only on music and not the distractions of GE (which afterall, I've studied for the last 13 years lol). I've found that when I try to mix GE classes with music, the music classes tend to get the backend of my effort, since there is so much "push" by teachers, councilers, and family to do well in the GE classes... in other words, my music slips into disarray, and if I try to refocus on music the GE grades slip... its a nasty cycle haha http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif I've considered putting all music education aside for several years while I attain all my GE towards a degree (though still practice and compose for an hour or 2 per day on my own time).... but I don't "want" to do that... especially if I don't need to make such a big sacrifice for the sake of a "degree".

Anyhow.... I honestly don't know what to do at this point. The help of those who've "been there" would be so greatly appreciated. So basically my question here is two-fold: "Is Musicians Institute a good school to consider?" and "Should I focus either on dedicated music education or on a degree?"

Thanks in advance for your help! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Sincerely,

Dave Williams

AbsoluteCross.com

Sincerely,

Dave AbsoluteCross.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Keyz316:

.... but I don't "want" to do that... especially if I don't need to make such a big sacrifice for the sake of a "degree".

Anyhow.... I honestly don't know what to do at this point. The help of those who've "been there" would be so greatly appreciated. So basically my question here is two-fold: "Is Musicians Institute a good school to consider?" and "Should I focus either on dedicated music education or on a degree?"

"I was there"

It is -from my point of view- an EXCELLENT school.

It depends on what do you need. You will not become a master on composition or piano playing while attending KIT. I guess that is not their focus. However, you will breath technology and live performance as soon as you enter the building.

What I studied about 10 years ago is still helping me. No, I don't have a "degree" in anything. But it surely made me a better performer

If you have a good level of musical knowledge, go for it !

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

My feeling is that if you can get a "real" degree you should. Obviously, how you play is the most important thing that will cause people to call and hire you for gigs. But what about if you decide to teach, or to even get some form of a "real" job. I know that playing is the most important thing and places like K.I.T. are great programs that help you to become better and better players, but never forget about the "big picture."

There obviously will be many of you that read this and think "whatever, I make a substantial living playing, and I don't have a degree" This is true, but everything that you add to your resume will come in very hand in many different situations.

just my thoughts!

Would the music degree definately be helpful to me in the future so far as getting jobs, or does the music industry judge more by skill and real-world experience over a piece of paper (degree).

In most cases a degree means nothing in the music biz...but a serious music degree (from a REAL college) can help you get teaching jobs, etc. that could pay the bills.

A KIT certificate (degree, whatever they call it) WILL NOT help pay the bills, very few people take the school seriously. Not that it's a bad place to learn...I just think there are better places and definitly places with a better reputation.

If you are looking for Mentors...MI is a cool place to hang...some good experienced players do teach there and working pro players do seminars from time to time.

IF financially you can only do one or the other (college or MI)...go to college or a really good music school like Berklee in Boston or Julliard.

That's just my brief opinion based on my experience. Keep in mind...I was very lucky to go to 3 different schools...all of which were really top notch (Belmont in Nashville, New England Conservatory of Music, Dick Grove School of Music) as well as a few classes at Berklee.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 10-03-2001 at 08:23 PM

Archived