Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How is the service ?

Dan O

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a music store once a month. I go with the presumption that I know more about the gear that interests me than anyone working there. That way I'm never disappointed and, on rare occasions, surprised to learn something.

For instance, a sample CD-ROM I special ordered from my local GC 6 weeks ago still has not come in (should have arrived in 7-10 days). Last week, when the store clerk told me that the distributor discontinued the CD-ROM, I had to tell him that he'd ordered the right title from the wrong company.

Unfortanately, poor service in many retail businesses has reduced the product they sell to a price-sensitive commodity. Give a customer a superior level of service that adds value in the sales process, and the customer becomes less price sensitive.

I'm yet to be happy, specially with the GC in San Jose. My last 3 experiences in GC:

1. People extremely rude. I ask a question to someone, he looks at my face and walks away.

2. 45 minutes to complete an order. I came in there to buy something. I didn't have to demo it. It was in the display case next to the cash register. 45 f***ing minutes.

3. After 5 attempts to get a headphone to demo a synth module, and 30 minutes, I walked away.

Sam Ash

1. They can't get me a manual for a synth I want to buy. They have it on display. Keyboard dept 'manager' knows NOTHING about the synth.

2. They don't have the time to plug in a synth to a effects processor I want to check out.

Do I need to continue? Needless to say, I buy online, unless it's something I can't get online (peavey products for instance)

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

These days I head down to Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA. Full-line, everything is set up and working, knowledgeable and friendly salespeople who'll stay out of your hair if it's appropriate, and as far as I've seen they'll match or beat chain prices.

They're not *quite* your typical local music store since they get volume discounts as part of the NorCal coalition that includes Bronstein, Bananas at Large, Leo's Pro Audio, and others.

I also buy a lot online, but when it's local it's Gelb. They're what a music store should be -- and what almost all of them used to be when I first started buying gear over 20 years ago.

Marv

I've had good experience with the local MARS store. I especially like that just about every device in the store is ready to be demoed at all times!

-Rob

R. Guilford Butts

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God"......Leo Buscaglia

Professional Sound and Music in San Diego, which I visit anywhere from several times a week to once a month or so, depending on the intensity of my gear lust at the moment. The service is above average and there's always someone there who has an answer for your question. They are willing to take the time to demo items and hook something up if it's not already.

Guitar Center here is the same as others have mentioned. Lousy service, people who don't know the gear they sell (how hard can that be anyway), but fortunately no "attitude" or outright rudeness.

Originally posted by Marvster:

These days I head down to Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA. Full-line, everything is set up and working, knowledgeable and friendly salespeople who'll stay out of your hair if it's appropriate, and as far as I've seen they'll match or beat chain prices.

Marv

Hey, thanks for the tip. I was stopped by yesterday, great store. They were actually really helpful.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I like Mills Music in King County Washington, dont know if they are anywhere else. Any instrument they have you can rent to own with 95% of your payment going towards ownership. Where else can you buy on credit with a 5% interest rate? No credit check, and if you dont like it, take it back. The only catch. You have to rent for three months minimum. Casey

"Let It Be!"

I usually patronize alto music in Waapingers Falls and Middletown, NY. Overall, I'm middling pleased with them. There's a lot of attitude behind the counter, which can piss me off if I let it, but they have very decent selection and prices for an independent store. Now's there's a Marsmusic in Albany and a GC in Paramus, but both of those ar emore than an hour away from me, so far now it's Alto and the Web.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Marvster:

These days I head down to Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA ... They're not *quite* your typical local music store since they get volume discounts as part of the NorCal coalition that includes Bronstein, Bananas at Large, Leo's Pro Audio, and others.

... which are all good stores. Others in the Bay Area I'd recommend would be B Street Music in San Mateo (Peninsula) and Musicworks in El Cerrito (northern East Bay).

While I knocked the local GC earlier, I can praise House of Guitars here in Rochester. To say the least, the store lacks in organized selling space it makes up for in sheer volume of selling space. The sales staff is knowledgeable and laid back (but not to the point of being inattentive). A strong marketing effort of theirs are annual demo days where they have manufacturers reps in store to show off everything in their lines. There's a Keyboard Day, a Pro Audio Day, a Guitar Day, a Drum Day, etc. and the prices are amazing. If you come to the demo day, but need time to think before buying, you can take a "raincheck" to hold a price for 2 weeks. Plus, the store itself, as the owners say, is "cooler than Hollywood".

IMHO, 48th St. in NYC (bet. 6th & 7th) is the epicenter of bad service in music industry retailing, with the possible exception of Rudy's Music Stop.

Originally posted by dano:

Hello to all keyboard guru's ,

How many people visit a music store on a regular basis ?

Is service good ? Bad ? curios ..........dano

Hi Dano, our professional MI salesperson !

If you ask about the mainstream in Mexico... with a very FEW exceptions, it SUCKS !!! Period.

My best experiences have been in some US stores in Tucson, Arizona (Rainbow Guitars) and HERMES MUSIC in McAllen Texas. I had a great shopping experience in some LA stores but I don't remember their names.

... back to Mexico, I remember my self dating the girl at the music store so she started letting me turn ON the synths... my gosh http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif ...

------------------

Gus Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

Gus TraX @musicplayer.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

well...i live in the musical boonies of america:new hampshire.i do have a good daddys junky music store to go to,good deals,exellent service,and cool salesmen.i also go to this place called the music mall-they have in the tiny space alloted to them several nice young chang pianos,an acoustic guitar tryout room,nice,nice keyboard demo area with all the latest and recording stuff out front.i also have at my disposal several momandpop store that sell cool and rocking lesser known brands. then i sometimes make a one hour+ exodus to a guitar center in mass.-not a bad place,my sister got a really good guitar deal there,service isnt bad and they let me midi chain several keyboards together to see what happens....

I usually find great sales reps and follow them from store to store.

When I lived in Phoenix in the 70s and 80s, I followed Bill Cone from Milano's to the store Bill opened, Synthony Music.

After moving to LA in 1987, I stuck with Bill for a few years, but then I decided I needed a local rep. I went with Jim Mona at Goodman Music. When Goodman folded, I followed Jim to West L.A. Music.

When Jim Mona left West L.A. Music, and was MIA for awhile, I bought from Scotty Van Salter at West L.A. Music. Finally, I followed Scotty when he went to Sam Ash in Canoga Park. Scotty's still my rep. He's a great guy and he always gives me good deals. I highly recommend all three of those guys.

This message has been edited by soapbox on 10-06-2001 at 08:06 AM

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived