Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Billy or Elton, who is the best???

Fletch

A few more observations. Bernie Taupin is not Elton's only collaborator. He did 'The Lion King' and 'Aida' with Tim Rice. Both are HUGE hits on Broadway. (Maybe Paul Simon should take note.)

Billy plays synths and Rhodes. I think Elton is strictly an ebony and ivory man.

Billy's albums have profitted from an impressive group of guest sidemen, including Phil Woods on "Just The Way You Are" and Freddie Hubbard on "Zanzibar." Billy has a jazz dimension that Elton lacks, but Elton seems to have kind of a gospel thing that Billy can't quite touch.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Bernie Taupin is not Elton's only collaborator. He did 'The Lion King' and 'Aida' with Tim Rice. Both are HUGE hits on Broadway.

"The Lion King is also having a great run in LA now. This show is a spectacle! It takes music theater where it's never been before! A must see!"

- soapbox (mpc review) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Seriously though, ya gotta see this show!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by MadScientist:

Billy's from "the Island". Whud else iz dare tuh say?

He brings back great memories from my childhood to me.

He wrote some of the best pop tunes of all time. Great lyrics, warm, romantic piano. Yeah...Billy's duh man.

His sax player screwed my ex wife so he was tasteful too!

I didn't even really know where Long Island and untiol I went to college in upstate NY and found myself living among the Islanders (ironic, because I'm from *downstate* NY). I quickly learned that virtually everybody from western Long Island claims that Billy Joel comes from his/her hometown. Hicksville, Oyseter Bay, Wantaugh, Syosset, how many hometowns can a fellow have? I think he's from Hicksville in reality, but all those towns tend to blur together anyway.

I suppose it all comes down to this: what do you like better, boxing or soccer?

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I've heard them both, live, but at seperate concerts. I'd have to say I prefer Elton John, and personally, I'm more impressed with his songwriting. It's largely a matter of taste; they're both great. I just find Elton's sense of harmony and rhythm more pleasing to my ears.

Archived