Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sorry, Lakers fans!

dansouth

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jordan is gonna look like the 2000 year old man against Kobe!!! And who do the Wizards have to stop Shaq??? That's right, NO ONE.

Sorry Dan, but don't be surprised if the Wizards don't even make the playoffs, the Wizards is just their name, they're not really wizards.

I just hope Mike doesn't break a hip trying to guard Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson, Steve Francis, Mike Bibby, Kobe, etc...

I saw Space Jam too.

You should say sorry to us BULLS fans. Boy do we have the two dumbest people running the organization. Even though I was a chicago resident for a dozen years, I just might buy one of them Wizard t-shirts and learn their fight song.

And as far as stopping Shaq, with the new rules, the Wizards can have the other four useless guys gang up on him while Michael teach Kobe that it all ain't athleticism and youth baby.

Raul

Raul

...every year for the next 5 years, while the Lakers win championship after championship, I guess I'm going to have to endure a season full of wishful thinking by all the Laker haters out there. Wake up you guys, it ain't gonna happen. Only major injuries, of either Kobe or Shaq, during the entire playoffs, will stop the Lakers from winning it all...again and again.

The best thing about a Jordan comeback is that he'll be available in video game form...

Originally posted by Sergievsky:

And as far as stopping Shaq, with the new rules, the Wizards can have the other four useless guys gang up on him while Michael teach Kobe that it all ain't athleticism and youth baby.

Raul

If last year's defensive player of the year and 3 other useless guys from Philly couldn't stop him (or the 2 franchise players from San Antonio and the rest of their useless guys), I'm not worried about the Wizards.

Be sure to mark Feb. 12th on your calender (Lakers vs Washington Generals ...oops, Wizards) Jordan may re-retire on the 13th.

steadyb

Lakers have won two straight, putting them precisely in the camp with the Pistons of the late 80s and the Rockets of the first 2 post-Jordan years. In fact, the Pistons had one thing these Lakers don't have: serious competition. The Pistons had to finally overcome the great Bird-McHale Celtics and the Mighty Lakers of Magic and Worthy (Now *that* was an awesome basketball team. I hated them). This Laker team is cleaning up against a league in disarray, bunch of 19 year olds pretending to be pros. No other real formidable teams as far as I can see. The East is especially pathetic, though I think Orlando and Toronto are the future there. Lakers probably will win it again this year, though I'd be tickled pink if they stumbled against no one in particular.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

Lakers probably will win it again this year, though I'd be tickled pink if they stumbled against no one in particular.

I guess you'll have to settle for being tickled green with envy.

The Lakers are going to have a hard time with Fisher on the injury list...but they'll prevail.

Jordan is probably going to be schooled by youth more often than he expects...he'll put a few guys to shame but expect a few wake up calls for 'The Man' too.

Kobe is going to embarrass him.

Puh-LEEEZ! I like Mike and all...but dude: he's 38 and playing for the Wizards, for God's sake. You know, perhaps Kareem can make a comeback next year with the Clippers...I'll sure be afraid then. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Fuggitaboutit. Lakers have nothing to fear. The one thing I'm happy about is Mike donating his entire salary to charity...cool move.

- Jeff

Yeah, Kobe and Shaq are secure. . . until they put a 3 point shooter in Philly that is!!

Here's the deal about Jordan...

He doesnt need the money, he doesnt need the rings, and he doenst need to "win"...and he certainly wont win with this team!! If he wanted to WIN again, you better believe he'd be in Philly or Sacramento. Think he'll make it to the playoff's with a high school center...doubt it - But then he is superman.

He probably just wants to have fun again. Im down with that because he'll still get 25-30 points a night because he DOESNT have anyone to pass to. So we wont be feeling sorry for him, but it's just that he wont look as graceful doing it! He'll be getting his points by fade-away's and 3 pointers and free throw's instead of flying slams and he WILL get beat by a lot of guys who he would have massacred 5 years ago, but he knows that! So as much as I would love for him to leave it alone it might just work - for 1 year!

TROLL . . . ish.

steadyb wrote:

The best thing about a Jordan comeback is that he'll be available in video game form...

when he played for the bulls, he was always the only player who wasn't in the video games. from nba jam on super nintendo to the psx games, he was never there. think he will be this time?

i've got my ticket to see him in portland, looking forward to it.

This message has been edited by wager47 on 09-29-2001 at 12:42 AM

I'm not really into sports, but the fact that I hate Michael Jordan forces me to reply to this thread:

Everytime Mike has a new shoe coming out, he joins the NBA. Then, when another style is coming out, he quits. His business sense gets ignorant kids (and some adults) to dish out $400 or some outrages price like that for cheap $.23 per hour, Vietnamese sweatshop labor shoes that in the end couldn't have cost more than $20 to make and import. What's really salt on the wound is that everytime he retires, idiot sportscasters are always like "Oh, what an honorable man" and bullsh*t like that. I'm going to start a campaign to boycott Nike. Who's with me?

Mike

Jordan's compeitiveness -- the force that made him the most pyschologically intimidating athlete I've ever witnessed in team sports--is also his tragic flaw, his hubris, to borrow a framework from Greek tragedies. He is notoriously easy to swindle on the golf course. He simply can not resist the challenge. Just ask the White Sox, or the city of Las Vegas. Now, Basketball is his home turf, and he'll be a more than competent player. Maybe he won't be Micahel, the greatest single team sport athlete of my lifetime, I believe, but he'll be good. Karl Malone is still laying it down at that age. No reason Michael can't. My problem is, coming from a family where Jim Brown was the most revered athlete, I love to see guys get out (and stay out) when they're on top. And so few can. Of recent vintage, only Barry Sanders has pulled it off (And Emmitt just passed him now for 2nd all time rushing yardage, 2 years+ into Barry's retirement. Imagine where Barry would be now. When he retired, he was still capable of 2000 yard seasons). Anyway, point being, I'm a little uneasy about Michael's return because I don't want to see him tarnish or dilute a most remarkable career and a level of dominance that is almost unachieveable in team sports. But it'll be fun to watch, and he'll be productive player. He'll teach the Wizards a thing or two about toughness.

John

Originally posted by wager47:

when he played for the bulls, he was always the only player who wasn't in the video games. from nba jam on super nintendo to the psx games, he was never there. think he will be this time?

Yes. I read a recent article that talked about his obligation to EA Sports was one of the final things to be ironed out before he announced his comeback. His image supposedly can now be licensed to other video games.

Originally posted by meccajay:

He probably just wants to have fun again.

Isn't he still the GM of the Wizards? If he stepped down, I'm guessing that it's with the intent of returning to the back office as soon as he's done with his second comeback - or is it a Second Coming? I see this as a marketing ploy, a chance to fill seats and put his team in the spotlight.

By the way, first game against the Lakers, Mike's gonna score 45 and make Kobe look like he's in grade school. Think they can sign Scottie?

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

By the way, first game against the Lakers, Mike's gonna score 45 and make Kobe look like he's in grade school.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa to be continued...

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa and HA!!!!

Whew!!! Thanks Dan, I needed a good laugh.

steadyb

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

The one thing I'm happy about is Mike donating his entire salary to charity...cool move.

- Jeff

Why wouldn't he???

He's not donating the money he makes from the next round of Air Jordan shoe sales, which will be much more than his salary, as well as what he'll make from the inflated value of the Wizards stock he'll get right back when he re-retires, or any of the other money he'll make from endorsements now that he's put himself back in the limelight.

Hey, a 2 million dollar donation is nothing to sneeze at, but he'll probably make 100 million because of it, all for himself.

He ain't coming back for the love of the game, he's coming back for the love of the GREEN.

Originally posted by steadyb:

He ain't coming back for the love of the game, he's coming back for the love of the GREEN.

Nah. And since we'll never know, we can only guess right? My guess is he just can't stand losing. I know quite a few people who really, really, can't stand losing and it would probably be safe to assume if there was a group of those he would be the President. Plus, he's probably still pissed of at Jerry "the Moron" Krause and Jerry "the Cheap-Ass" Reinsdorf for breaking up the group before it's time, so this is a way to say "Look how much more money you dumbshits could have made if you had any sense of loyalty and decency!"

And although I WAS a Laker hater (during the Magic days), I actually like the Kobe/Shaq Lakers. Hell, how could I not? They did sign some of my favorite Bulls...Phil Jackson, Ron Harper, and Horace Grant! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Raul

Raul

Believe me, it's the money.

Intelligent reply: Nuh-uh! You're a poopyhead!

Real reply: Come on, b. He doesn't need the cash. He could get the endorsement money with or without playing. That having been said, I think a whole lot of fans will be disappointed if they're all expecting Michael circa 1991 to be the same MJ of today.

And, as we both know, it won't make a dent in the Lakes' three-peat (five-peat?) chances. It will be fun to see Kobe dribble circles around him, though. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Come on, b. He doesn't need the cash. He could get the endorsement money with or without playing.

- Jeff

I didn't say he needs the money. He's wants the money. Big difference.

Does the CEO of a major corporation need a 4 million dollar a year salary??? No. Does he want it ? Yes.

Michael Jordan will get way more endorsements by coming back. Period. If he never earned another cent, he's set financially for a hundred lifetimes.

Bottom line ...he has a lot and wants more. He will win no scoring title, MVP or championship, he may not even make the playoffs, but he WILL make another boatload of money and sell another boatlaod of shoes by coming back.

If he were to announce tomorrow that he were donating ALL income from basketball, Gatorade, Nike, Haynes, etc. to the families of the victims of Sept. 11th tragedy, I'd change my opinion immediately and agree with you that it is for the love of the game.

But to donate approximately one percent of what he'll make in the next two years doesn't exactly make him my nominee for the next Nobel prize.

Hell, even I donate 1% of my income to charity a year and I'd be the first to admit that's pretty weak. Although I guess it's better than nothing.

Anyway, It'll be great watching him wheeze up and down the court trying to keep up.

Fortunately, with all the money he'll make next year, he should be able to afford great seats for the playoffs.

Sorry Steadyb, Mike doesnt need the money, he can always get money, and he aint comming back FOR the money. MONEY IS NOT THE ISSUE!! The Love of his life is missing and he wants it back....it's name is pro basketball-Period!!!

Will he make Kobe look bad?? Some nights.

Will Kobe, Mcgrady, Iverson etc, make him look bad. . . some nights.

TROLL . . . ish.

Sorry Steadyb, Mike doesnt need the money, he can always get money, and he aint comming back FOR the money. MONEY IS NOT THE ISSUE!! The Love of his life is missing and he wants it back....it's name is pro basketball-Period!!!

...oh brother. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Mike doesnt need the money, he can always get money, and he aint comming back FOR the money. MONEY IS NOT THE ISSUE!! The Love of his life is missing and he wants it back....it's name is pro basketball-Period!!!

Yeah, and Space Jam was a documentary.

Dont worry steadyb, as soon as Kobe, Iverson and Co breaks Michael down on the court you & Kobe are gonna feel real good

. . .and Michael will just smile and think to himself "He'll never be ME!" N E V E R !

TROLL . . . ish.

Michael's first 6 years in the NBA = 0 titles

Kobe's first 5 years in the NBA = 2 titles (and counting)

Second best player on Bulls during Michael's first five years: Mmm, Charles Oakley? Then Cartwright? Then, finally, Pippen? Or maybe it was Stacey "Sky" King? Or Bill Wennington?

Second or first best player on Lakers during Kobe's:

(fill in blanks): _ _ _ Q. Throw in Ho Grant, Fisher, Horry, Fox et. al. and the comparison is simply meaningless, which is not to deny the fact that Michael learned something about team play after Jackson replaced Doug Collins, but I think the maturation of Pippen and Horace was a pretty big factor too.

Archived