Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you take care of your gear?

Blue

I recently bought a new synth and of course I'm in that paranoic stage when a single scratch could make me faint out (Bobro, your anecdote -in other thread- about your grandfather and his truck is very good and, needless to say, totally true!!).

One thing takes to the other, and then I wondered how much (or how few) care do you take of your gear. For instance, for these things:

1- Risk of malfunction due to electrical shock because of tension peaks or storms: I usually try not to use electronic devices (mainly the pc + synth) during electrical storms (anyway they are very rare in my part of the country). But just in case, I recently installed one of those little devices which you put between the grounded wall plug and the apparatus in question, and in case of electric shock, this device "dies", not your apparatus (at least theoretically!).

2- Cover (to protect from dust, etc, while not using the keyboard). I use a piece of cloth, however I often wonder if there is more dust in the air or in that dang piece of cloth... Maybe plastic would be more practical?

3- Cleaning sessions- At least once a month I remove the dust (or dirt, if any) in the keys. It may sound odd, but I get a slight but noticeable better grip of the keys after cleaning them (no fingers "slipping off" the black keys).

4- Transport. I don't gig at all so my synth is safe and sound at home all the time. But I'm sure many of you have purchased some of that expensive cases to transport your keyboards, while others just put a couple of small wheels on one keyboard's end, and a rope to pull it from the other side http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif.

5- Finally, assorted paranoia- In my case, I don't think it's really paranoia but here I go: I try not to put the power on and off when there's no need; I mean I rather leave the unit on for ten minutes when I leave the room for a coffee or something, than plug it on/off everytime. I think it is considered to shorten the life of the electronic components (I don't know how significative is this "shortage", but it is true that light bulbs 90% of the time die at the moment you turn them on, not while they are lit). Of course I turn it off when I have finished a practice session of whatever.

So, what do you say? how much care do you take of your equipment?

------------------

= blue =

= blue =

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to keep my keyboard pretty clean, I wipe it down about once a month. I don't worry about it too much gigging, the road case keeps it safe and it's built like a tank except for the knobs (yamaha s-80). I do worry about a lightning strike though but you have to know that a powerstrip between the wall outlet and your keyboard won't protect it from a lightning strike-no way. You need to have a master surge protector installed on your electrical box to protect from lightning strikes. Whenever a storm is too close for comfort I unplug anything I don't want fried. Otherwise I don't worry too much.

-Casey

I wipe down the keys before and after every gig, because sometimes my hands get sweaty (yuk!). Other than that, a weekly dusting is about all. I know you worry about every scratch, but let's face it, if it's an electronic keyboard, its resale value will drop so dramatically in the next few years that you'll end up using as a boat anchor without any regrets.

I used to dislike the aesthetics of carpet-covered PA equipment, but I've come to realize it's the only thing that will survive the bumps and scrapes of gigs. Never vacuumed the carpet, though...

Nord Stage 88, Roland XP80, Barbetta Amps, and a bunch of stuff gathering dust in the corner.

I hold mine under a hot shower about once a month.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Not really.. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I had my power company install a HUGE clamp on my meter, so I'm protected from almost any surge short of a direct lightning strik on the line.

I cycle the power as little as possible, because, yes, circuit boards become brittle with many repeated thermal cycles.

I don't cover them, but I wipe them down about monthly. Endust for Electronics RAWKS, it keeps it with the new-look lustre, and doesn't mess up the circuits.

Twice a year, I use a graphite plug on the 1/4" jacks, and if a pot starts to sound dirty, I hit it with ProGold 40 cleaner.

I don't gig, so they don't leave the studio almost ever.

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

At the gig;

I have a power conditioner that everything plugs into. At the end of a shift I put the rack face on the rack and cover it with a big cloth. The keyboard comes home with me every night. I move it in an SKB case and carry it in the back seat (NOT in the bed!) of my truck.

At home;

I dust everything off everyday with a feather duster and vacuum the rug once a week. I keep a can of compressed air handy for blowing out the little cracks and crevices. Again everything comes out of a power conditioned strip. Lightning happens so rarely here that I don't even worry about it, other than shutting everything off if a storm brews up.

Normally I power everything up and leave it on for the day rather than turning it on and off repeatedly. No smoking is allowed in the house, so that's not a problem.

For the most part I don't sweat little scratches or scuffs on my synths. Those help give them character! I generally keep `em till they die, so I'm not concerned about resale value. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Archived