Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what do you know about wurlitzers?

Intheether

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what you're looking for... if it's just info about it, it seems there are some sites, for instance http://www.melmusic.com.au/articles/wurly.html

I know how it feels like when you finally find your "golden" link, you clic on it and .... 404 not found etc. But if you use google, it also keeps cached versions of the indexed pages. Give it a try, you might find it this way (although sometimes the cached versiones are buggy or empty).

= blue =

I'm fortunate enough to own both a Wurlitzer and a Rhodes!! In any case, as far as I know, the hip Wurly to own is Model #200A. This is the one I have and it's fantastic. I picked mine up for about $130 USD about 8 or 9 years ago. I've since seen a couple here in Toronto for about $200 - $250 USD. They don't come up that often though, so if you find one, grab it! Last time I checked, parts (for all old Wurly instruments) were available from a place in Mississippi called Morelock Organ. Not sure if they're still around, but a couple of years ago I bought some replacement keys and a new sustain pedal assembly through them. Hope this helps and good luck finding one!!

Brent

Brent Bodrug

www.bgroupmusic.com

Over the years I was lucky enough to have had one of everything. Pianet, Wurly and Rhodes. I think in the end I preferred the sound and feel of the Pianets.

The Hohner Pianets were among the very first of the 'tine' type electric pianos and came out in 1958 or 1960 or so? Fender Rhodes did have some instruments out, but they did not come into full force until about 1964 or so. Once Fender got involved.

I always felt the Pianet (either the N or the T) had a bit more "bite" to the sound and recorded better in all kinds of band tracks. The Wurly was always more work to get to sound proper, but sounded so amazing in the end if you stuck with it.

The Wurly was nice and light and less expensive compared to the Rhodes. Rhodes were a bear to work with live. Heavy. Big. Lots of hum and pops to watch out for. The Suitcase was nice in the studio, but the Stage Piano was the only Rhodes to use live.

I found the Rhodes "sound-through-full-keyboard-range" to be a little inconsistent. Bass notes were good, middle a little mushy and the top end always to bright and choppy.

Every Rhodes is so different. I owned one that was a dog, and one that was an angel. The funny thing was that the bad one had the sought-after wooden action and the sweet one had the plastic hammers. Go figure.

My favorite Wurlys are the old, wooden cabinet types. I forget the model number. Wasn't there a Baldwin connection at some point? What am I thinking of? Igor refuses to tell me where I was during the 'Seventies' . . so I have to depend on written accounts.

Currently I am down to my last Electric Piano ~ an ElectroPro. Sort of a cross between the Wurly and the CP-70 sound wise.

Ah . . those were the days . . . . of broken tines, out of tune pianos, hums and pops . . . but those were the days . . .

Oh yeah, a must for recording any electric piano is a good compressor of some kind. That makes all the difference.

Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .

Archived