Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi for dummies!!!

sudeep

Hi...ive just got a quick question from a midi novice...i have created a few midi files on my roland xp 80, i think they get saved as ".sqv" files, when i save them onto a floppy disk and try and try to play them on my pc (which i have no problems playing midi files off the net), it gives me an error saying format incompatible, or something to that effect.

Can someone suggest what im doing wrong...or what I am not doing!!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Stratman:

Yeah, you should check and see if you can save a song as a SMF. My Korg is similar, you can save a file as a korg specific .SNG file or as a SMF that will play on any GM compatible system.

... If your Roland can't save its files as Standard Midi ones,

then I would suggest you to look here: http://www.giebler.com/#edm

Good luck!

This message has been edited by Gulliver on 09-24-2001 at 10:47 AM

I am back.

Originally posted by wager47:

smf

no, wait!!

that stands for standard midi file, the ones you got online are smf's. i don't know that roland keyboard, but i think .sqv is an older format, possibly roland-specific. you should be able to save sequences as smf's, too.

Don't they want to be .mid files?

What happens of you just change the extension? Or do a file conversion - on the Mac, we have a utility called File Exchange that can be easily programmed to convert one file type to another. Since I don't have any workstations I can't try it, so I don't know if that would work on the Mac and/or if there's something similar for the PC - but I imagine that it'd be worth a try.

Just guessin',

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by sudeep_rao@hotmail.com:

Hi...ive just got a quick question from a midi novice...i have created a few midi files on my roland xp 80, i think they get saved as ".sqv" files, when i save them onto a floppy disk and try and try to play them on my pc (which i have no problems playing midi files off the net), it gives me an error saying format incompatible, or something to that effect.

Can someone suggest what im doing wrong...or what I am not doing!!!

Hi !

First check if your synth's sequencer CAN save the songs in STANDARD MIDI FORMAT (SMF) Type 1 (Multitrack) or Type 0 (single track data). If so... do it.

I guess it could still save them with a different extension to disk. Let's assume it was finally named "mysong.smf". After you save the file in the SMF to disk, take it to your PC and using DOS (yeah, that old ugly looking thing) change the extension using the following command:

A:\ren mysong.smf mysong.mid

It will change the file's extension to the STANDARD *.mid format.

------------------

Gus Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

Gus TraX @musicplayer.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com