Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sightreading

steinwaym

Last night, like a lot of nights, I sat in with a new group. No rehearsal, just show up and play in front of a fairly large crowd. The band that I was playing with last night had some keyboard parts that were significantly harder than you normally run into. I consider myself a strong reader, but like most players, I have many limitations. My question: What do you guys think is better:

1. Come up with a "simplified" part on the spot by leaving out some of the very difficult melody and harmony notes, but keeping the basic feel of the tune, but playing it "perfect" for the audience, but the full time guys in the band know that you are "cheating."

2. Attempt to play all of the written out notes, and hitting almost all of the right notes, but making some mistakes along the way.

My perspective has always to take the "safe" road and to simplify the parts, but I hear many other piano players that take the other. What do you think?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd say it would depend on how many "wrong" notes you think you would play. Most people don't really seem to notice a wrong note or two along the way if it isn't obvious that a mistake is being made. If that's the case, I'd go with the more difficult play and enjoy the challenge of it. However, if you think it would be noticeable to the average person listening in the audience or throw the tune off, I'd say go with the safe route. Roland

Steinwaym:

At one time I was a very strong reader, and still ran into situations like this. It's a tough call, because sometimes the music will not allow you to simplify.

I was once called in to do accompaniment for a woman. She had selected a lot of Sondheim, and we actually rehearsed it. Then on the night of the recital, she changed 3 different songs. Sondheim is a bitch to play to begin with, but cold it's TERRIBLE. He's one of those guys that are very difficult to simplify, so it was a night where I was hoping my deodorant was REALLY cutting it! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Aside from situation like that, I choose to simplify. Sometimes that clam that comes out is so noticible, that it ain't worth it...

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I'd say play the best you possibly can for the audience, put on the best show that's what counts. Hitting every note of a difficult piece sight reading that a bunch o' wankers put in front of you is WAY secondary. That's why God invented "practice sessions". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Archived