Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Andromeda, if you're interested

Bobro

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by joegerardi:

Anyone notice that the Andy is not listed on Alesis' product page anymore?

Hmm....

If you click on the picture of the Andy (lower left picture) in the products window at the Alesis site it will open the appropriate links. Why it is not listed is a mystery. Maybe just an oversight considering the recent difficulties at Alesis.

Michael http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

BTW: the mp3 link in the Andromeda window does not work.....

This message has been edited by midirat on 09-27-2001 at 06:03 PM

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by midirat:

If you click on the picture of the Andy (lower left picture) in the products window at the Alesis site it will open the appropriate links. Why it is not listed is a mystery. Maybe just an oversight considering the recent difficulties at Alesis.

That really is peculiar, because unless I'm very mistaken it certainly used to be listed, both on the synth products page and in the overall products pull-down - and now it's gone from both. However, a bunch of the links (obvious ones) are still in place.

Hmmmm...I wonder why they'd do that?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

That really is peculiar, because unless I'm very mistaken it certainly used to be listed, both on the synth products page and in the overall products pull-down - and now it's gone from both. However, a bunch of the links (obvious ones) are still in place.

Hmmmm...I wonder why they'd do that?

dB

You are indeed correct...the A6 was listed in both places in times past.

It may be worthy to note that many times during downsizing or restructuring that the positions responsible for webmastering are often delegated to others. It is often practice to eliminate the full time positions of webmasters and combine the responsibility with other departments within the enterprise. Unfortunately what happens in many cases is the website suffers. It falls out of date and much of the information is either obsolete or incorrect. The responsibility of maintaining the site falls victim to seemingly more important tasks. While this is tragic it does occur. One would think that in the age of cyberspace that a company website would be as important as any other facet of the organization...but in some cases there is just so much personpower to go around.

While this may not be the case with Alesis, it is a distinct possibility. And considering the upheaval and probable confusion any explanation may be plausible.

Michael http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

This message has been edited by midirat on 09-27-2001 at 06:48 PM

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by midirat:

It may be worthy to note that many times during downsizing or restructuring that the positions responsible for webmastering are often delegated to others. It is often practice to eliminate the full time positions of webmasters and combine the responsibility with other departments within the enterprise.

You have no idea. Since all that's left there are engineers, they are overworked and doing everything. Manuals, box art, front panel artwork, you name it. I'm sure that the website is also being done by one of those guys.

Of course the other reason is that the Andy Modular has... oh you'll see.

That'd be quite the expensive toy. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

dB

Apparently it's the same price as the original, but doesn't include Rolls Royce 'Corniches' or Ferrari 'Testarossas' for the engineers who're marketing it in sweaty late-night pool halls . . . that is the first place engineers would market it, isn't it?

Of course, without the marketers' perqs, many reviewers say the 'artistic touche'' that made the Andromeda just isn't there . . .

a little baby mono Andy... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

dB

I think this would be way cool. Make it 2-voice (4 osc total), same style and dimensions of the Virus Indigo, with a shortenened ribbon, about half of the knobs, sell it for $1200 or so, and call it the "Voyager Killer" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Since it is a hardware machine, the economics are going to be funky.

Instead of dropping features (which will take capital) they could just ride the cost curve (experience curve) on the machine, all the way down. I suspect that modfying asics will be an expensive proposition, and a new OS will also take a lot of work.

But they could lower their price to the market significantly over time....

First make tweaks to the OS to get it right . Then just keep steady production, improving quality and volume and dropping price over the next 3 years.

It could become everybody's real analog. Within a couple of years, most VA's will attempt all the features on Andy anyway... so it may not be seen as a mega synth, just your complete synth.

Sure the early adopter's will have paid a price. But what a cash cow this could be.

Regards,

Jerry

PS: Anyone know if Extreme Measures are still involved with the OS. I'm curious.

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

But I don't know if they're actually shipping the Alesis box or not yet. Anyone here in the Keyboard Corner own one or have one on order?

The HD24 has shipped in extremely limited quantity. The retailer I work for has sold 2 and I believe there are a few more in stock, though I can't say for sure whether they're all spoken for already.

From what I understand, HD24's are trickling out very, very slowly now.

I'm not sure about Andromeda's. I haven't seen any indications of Andy's shipped since the reorganization.

I suspect that modfying asics will be an expensive proposition

Why would they need to modify the ASICs? Each voice and filter ASIC in Andy handles two voices - there are 8 of each in every A6. So, it shouldn't be a problem to use less of them in a scaled down unit.

and a new OS will also take a lot of work.

From scratch, of course...but the existing one can always be modified.

Not that much - she's an expensive toy to build.

It could become everybody's real analog. Within a couple of years, most VA's will attempt all the features on Andy anyway... so it may not be seen as a mega synth, just your complete synth.

I don't know about that - there are a bunch of esoteric features on Andy. I don't know if the VA folks will see benefits to adopting many of them.

Sure the early adopter's will have paid a price.

Not much, though - Andy is easily worth the $3495 price tag - if nothing else, just for the 16 voices of real analog. Heck, the Voyager is only $500 less for one voice...

But what a cash cow this could be.

Welcome to our original vision of Andy. Unfortunately, the people who used to run Alesis didn't share in that vision - they saw it as a boutique synth with a very narrow target market.

Hopefully, the new owners see more of Andy's possibilities.

Anyone know if Extreme Measures are still involved with the OS. I'm curious.

They are not. Haven't been for a while.

dB

Originally posted by Tusker:

Since it is a hardware machine, the economics are going to be funky.

Instead of dropping features (which will take capital) they could just ride the cost curve (experience curve) on the machine, all the way down. I suspect that modfying asics will be an expensive proposition, and a new OS will also take a lot of work.

First make tweaks to the OS to get it right . Then just keep steady production, improving quality and volume and dropping price over the next 3 years.

Sure the early adopter's will have paid a price. But what a cash cow this could be.

Regards,

Jerry

PS: Anyone know if Extreme Measures are still involved with the OS. I'm curious.

A strange dream did visit me yestereve...my thoughts did dwell upon the children of Andromeda, which are as yet unborn, and unbidden arose there upon the field of my vision an image as unto the likeness of an Oberheim Matrix 12, and I did gaze upon it, and I did cry unto it "Oh Classic Analog One, tell me I beg of thee, of the children of Andromeda! As the tree brings forth fruit after its own kind, surely shall it be so with Andromeda?"

And, sighing a sigh of great depth, verily a deep sigh of warmth, and of punch and wow, the Oberheim Matrix 12 answered not a word. And Lo! there did suddenly appear an Oberheim OB-12, and I saw they were like unto another, according to the perception of the eye, and yet as the OB-12 did speak I perceived otherwise...

A cash cow is a dangerous beast.

Dave has posted while I was writing this. Boutique shmoutique, the name of those who want this synth and its (legitimate) children is legion.

-CB

I suspect that modfying asics will be an expensive proposition

Why would they need to modify the ASICs? Each voice and filter ASIC in Andy handles two voices - there are 8 of each in every A6. So, it shouldn't be a problem to use less of them in a scaled down unit.

dB

Oops. Sorry fellas. My bad info. I misunderstood the constraints inherent in the relationship between filter ASIC and the oscillator ASIC.

[bAnyone know if Extreme Measures are still involved with the OS. I'm curious.

They are not. Haven't been for a while.

dB[/b]

As a likely future user of one of these beauties I am glad to hear that. Maybe the name Monolith would become available for a (4 oscillator?) monosynth. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Originally posted by Tusker:

Maybe the name Monolith would become available for a (4 oscillator?) monosynth. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

That would be interesting.

As you know, Monolith was one of the list of original names that I came up with for Andy, and also the name that I submitted for the new MiniMoog; which, incidentally, I still think is a better name than Voyager!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

dB

Archived