Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

getting set up, need help

tony2000

Glad you stopped by, I've got a couple of quick questions.

The time has come for me to get equipped. ((There's too much music that I want to make (classical, pop, electronica, avant-garde, film scores, toothpaste commercials, whatever) and I don't have enough tools.)) But I don't know what to get!

I'm looking for a computer-based digital home studio, total cost about $1500 to $2000ish(that's about $470000 Canadian). This would include the computer, keyboard controller, sound card, MIDI interface, CD burner, sequencing and recording software, fun plug-ins, software synth, samples, looping software, and whatever else I'm forgetting. OK, I can't mask my ignorance about tech, so feel free to set me straight.

I know there's a strong Mac allegiance in music land, but I'm told that PCs are basically fine nowadays, as far as my more modest needs go, anyways; plus they're cheap (so am I)?

A little bit of surfing around led me to believe that the ProTools ToolBox might be pretty cool...?

I could name-drop a few products to get the ball rolling, but I'll leave that for the people who know what they're talking about. (that's why I'm posting in the first place)

What kind of rig would an experienced bloke/dame like yourself recommend to a chap in my shoes? Show me no mercy with tech talk, I need to hear it all.

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Tony,

PC is OK . Just remember to get as fast a computer with as much memory/storage as you can afford .

Hard ware / software ?????

Many higher end sound cards come with software packaged with it . I think one of the best package deals going right now is the ROLAND STUDIO PACK .

VM3100 digital mixer with LOGIC software ! Around $700.00 US . I would go on Rolands web site and get the specific's . This package gives you external mixer that is your sound card ! No click and drag !

M Audio makes something called a Delta 10/10 which is nice as well .

There are many opinions out there . So.... load as many free demo's as possible ! Pay attention to local workshops at music stores ! dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Just bringin' this one back to the top, cause I also need a great deal of advice in this regard.

I have been led to believe that I can produce at least a demo-quality cd with a keyboard, a PC and a cd burner. I am not new to composing, but I am very new to the technology, and the learning curve is looking to me like a tidal wave. Help!

Tony:

For PCs, check this site:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

No, I don't work for them, but that is where I bought my new PC, and the prices are excellent.

I'll leave it to the rest about the studio stuff. I don't know that much about it myself, but I am a computer geek, so I thought I'd chime in on that.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived