Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: The Sequel!!!!

Dave Bryce

So...

What do you think about the idea of doing a forum comp CD of cover tunes? I'd love to hear what tunes you all would pick, and what you'd do with them...since we wouldn't be selling them, royalties wouldn't be a problem...

Whaddaya think? Yes? No? Maybe?

Yeah, I know - the other ones aren't even back yet, and I'm thinking about a sequel...what can I say - sometimes inspiration just hits, knowhatImean?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

So...

What do you think about the idea of doing a forum comp CD of cover tunes? I'd love to hear what tunes you all would pick, and what you'd do with them...since we wouldn't be selling them, royalties wouldn't be a problem...

Whaddaya think? Yes? No? Maybe?

dB

Absolutely YES, Dave. Good Idea !

What do you suggest, "our version / tribute to..." or playing it the most similar to the originals?

For us, foreigns, it should be a well known song, I presume.

Some rules requiered, then...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

What do you suggest, "our version / tribute to..." or playing it the most similar to the originals?

That'd be up to you - whichever makes you happier.

Personally, I prefer to give covers my own slant - I figure they've already been done the original way...

dB

I'm in... not sure if I will be able to depending on the time line. I'm in the process of moving back to Brazil (more on this later... around late october), so I won't have my gear up and running until around xmas time. I'll guess I'll have to change my nickname since I won't be in California anymore. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I am planning to get a loaded laptop with SF5.0 and SONAR so I maybe able to do something 'on the road' ... I haven't worked this way yet, so we'll see. My brother is a guitar player so hopefully I'll include some guitar playing there...

I have one in mind that I've been wanting to re-record, I actually have about 90% of the song in midi already... the problem is people to sing.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Very cool idea. I'm in.

Tons of songs I would like to do twisted covers of. H'mm, what a delicious prospect.

Cheers,

Jerry

PS: I concur on the idea of some 'rules' to shape the effort, however vague and general. (Rats, they probably won't let me do "Gates of Delirium" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif)

This message has been edited by Tusker on 09-20-2001 at 08:44 AM

Wouldn't cover tunes pose copyright and publishing issues?

I believe that there's no problem as long as they aren't sold commercially and/or for profit.

We wouldn't be able to post them on MP3.com, though.

I would cover a jazz standard, if anything, but I prefer to spend my precious music hours on original material.

Whatever floats your boat, brother Dan. I like to do both originals and covers, which is why I suggested this in the first place. Participation isn't mandatory... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

dB

We wouldn't be able to post them on MP3.com, though.

Posting them somewhere was part of the fun. If someone had 100 megs of space on a server it would be cool to upload them for our listening pleasures.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

We can't call the next one volume 2 - the current CD is labeled "Keyboard Corner Compilations, Volumes 1 & 2".

dB

OK, how about...

"Songs Written by Someone Other Than The Kind Folks Over at The Keyboard Corner"

End of the year sounds good for me too. We should do a 'sign up' for tunes, I doubt that there would be an overlap, but it would be cool if we made sure we didn't.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

ACtually, an overlap might be kind of cool, as long as the arrangements were very different (i.e., a country and a reggae version of "Smoke on the Water" - don't laugh, I did is as a samba version once).

OK - As long as Dave's thinking ahead. I do a few Christmas tunes every year for friends and family.... maybe we can do a forum CD of public domain holiday tunes next year and give the $$$ to charity. But I digress...

Yeah, if you want to do a public-domain Christmas compilation, I have one ready to go! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Llarion:

Yeah, if you want to do a public-domain Christmas compilation, I have one ready to go!

Actually, so do I...

I am willing to do the cover tunes CD, but if someone else wants to spearhead a Holiday Sampler, I'd be into that as well - I just don't have the bandwidth to do both, and I really wanna do a cover tunes CD.

dB

Hey...I'd be into this. But a couple of questions to ponder, dB.

a. This being the Keyboard Corner, do you care whether the covers are more keyboard/synth/piano based, or will any instrumentation be cool?

b. A preference question...do you think it would be cooler to do covers that are close to the originals in feel and arrangement, or covers that are wildly different and new? Personally, I prefer the latter.

I'd love to contribute as soon as I finish cleaning the last of the cat puke off my studio equipment. And yes, I could have my tune done before the end of the year.

- Jeff

a. This being the Keyboard Corner, do you care whether the covers are more keyboard/synth/piano based, or will any instrumentation be cool?

Well,I would think that there should at least be some keyboards in it.

b. A preference question...do you think it would be cooler to do covers that are close to the originals in feel and arrangement, or covers that are wildly different and new? Personally, I prefer the latter.

A couple of people have brought this up in this thread. Personally, as I said above, I'm inclined to think that the original version has already been done a certain way, and so I usually try to put my own slant on covers. However, duplicating a recording is an art in itself...I'd say that decision would be up to the participant.

dB

Originally posted by Llarion:

Yeah, if you want to do a public-domain Christmas compilation, I have one ready to go! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I think the hardest thing about a holiday sampler is going to be coordination, and time from someone to coordinate it. I don't have the time to take something like this on (well, actually if I took it on, I'd probably get divorced, then I'd have the time, but would have to sell all my gear so I wouldn't be able to do it anyway). Maybe we can just start a thread with links to individuals holiday tunes and people can have some "original" holiday music. If we can't get someone to bite off the coordination this year, maybe we can do something more formal next year.

Llarion - I like Silent Night... You've got some cool chord subs in there, and the end kind of keeps you hangin' on http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Archived