Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to fix a soundcard IRQ problem?

pete psingpy

Well, I just don't know who to ask about this...so I'll try here: Cubasis tech support says an IRQ conflict with my soundcard is causing my computer to crash while using Cubasis. I'm using asus A7V133 motheboard, athlon chip, Win ME, soundblaster Pt 5.1 card. I've tried installing the card in each of my 5 PCI slots. Wherever I install it, it ends up sharing an IRQ with something else. How can I fix this? thank you.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete:

Go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager. Scroll down to Sounbd, Video, and Game Controllers, and click on the little cross next to it. A drop-down will appear. Double-click on your soundcard, and the properties for it will appear. Click on the "Resources" tab on the top and it will show you where the conflict exists. You can then change it by unchecking the "Use automatic settings," or change the other device that's conflicting.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and because it Windows, you WILL have to reboot!

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

thanks for the replies so far. I didn't yet try what Magpel suggested cause I'm not at home now; I'll try it later. I went into Resources under Device Manager, selected Soundcard...it says there are no conflicts. When I manually start changing the hardware settings, it starts reporting conflicts. So now I'm wondering if I really have a conflict. The Steinburg support guy said to go into Accesories, System Information, Hardware, IRQ. A list of about 20 IRQ's comes up. He says I need to get it so that the soundcard does not share an IRQ with anything else other than "Holder". Since the soundcard is on an IRQ with something else, he calls this a "conflict" and said I need to move the card to different slots. But it doesn't report a conflict in the Device Manager. I've tried the card in every PCI slot. thanks, pete

Many thanks. I would not have figured it out on my own. After disabling a few things in the device manager, and in the BIOS, and after moving the card again about 3 times, I finally got it to share an IRQ with only "Holder for PCI Steering".

However, my main problem is still occuring. Cubasis crashes when I select "Mastertrack" from the Edit menu. Other functions seem to work fine. I went through the device manager and found no hardware conflicts anywhere. Not sure what to try next. I sent a note back to Steinburg tech support. Hopefully they will respond soon.

thanks,

Pete

Archived