Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: My back is getting better....

I've been trying to start music-related threads, but I think this one is okay to post! As many of you know, I have had a severely ruptured disk (L4-L5 )in my lower back and was looking into surgery. However, I found a procedure at UCLA that sounded promising (http://www.diskcure.com), so I tried it a week ago. So far, I'd say at least 50% of my acute back pain has subsided, my muscles are slowly loosening up (although I've got a long way to go on this), my hip pain has also subsided, and the numbness in my right big toe has almost disappeared, although sometimes it comes back a little bit. The full effects are supposed to manifest themselves in two weeks total (one more week for me). Now, what I am hoping, of course, is that IF this really works, I can avoid surgery. Hopefully it will keep getting better, and the pain will continue to subside. So far, so good! What will happen ultimately is anybody's guess, but at least the results are positive so far! I still have a loooooong way to go, since I still have other back problems, mostly muscular, as well as disk degeneration, but at least if this works it will have eliminated one of the major problems!! THEIR THEORY: Basically, their theory, which they do not describe on their web site in great detail, is that much of the pain, inflammation, and tissue damage in the lower back is caused by a chemical that the herniated disk releases, known as TNF-a. They believe that since many people have large disk bulges, as shown by their MRIs, but do not experience any pain or adverse affects from this, and furthermore, that many people continue to experience pain after the surgery because this chemical has not been taken out completely. They further believe that this is because the disk has not released TNF-a. The common notion (which I have been told over and over again by neurosurgeons) is simply that the herniated disk is pressing against the nerve endings, which in turn cause the pain. However, but some UCLA doctors' theory is that this is really not the root of the problem at all. UCLA doctors are instead combatting the pain by an FDA-approved drug that is a biological response modifier that neutralizes the TNF. It's apparently safe, pain-free, and works quite well on people with herniated disks in their lower back (or other parts). I've investigated this on the web and found a good amount of medical research that appears to substantiate the UCLA doctor's claims. The bummer? Blue Cross PPO didn't pop for it, so it was an expensive out-of-pocket expense. Oh, well. Seems like it was worth it!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ken Great to hear this. Bummer about the damned insurance. Unfortunately, this is sooo typical. Its great that you had the resources to go ahead anyway. I'm going to send this to my brother in-law who may benfit greatly from this proceedure.-if he can affod it. Thanks for the pointer.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

Ken, Glad it worked for you. It didn't for my Mother-In-Law. $2,000 out of pocket for her. But, she was 82 when they did... probably too old to have been effective. My back is not doing that well, either. The right side has problems almost identical to yours. Plus, I only have decent vertebrae movement, except where the Ls and Ts meet. Everything else hurts. Do you have anything like that? Right now, I am doing the HMO shuffle. 5 Months into this, I had two failed epidural shots and am now on physical therapy. Let us know how the Disc Cure shot does. I’ll be waiting to find out, myself.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

That's Great News Ken! Keep going, bro, one step at a time. Lincoln Ross Dead Black Jedis

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

[b]Ken[/b], I'm really happy to read such a promising report of your health conditions! :thu: Thanks for sharing the details of this interesting new approach too. I'm confident that all will agree that this is an acceptable non-music thread! I'd go one step further and say that this is news we [i]want[/i] to read! Good luck and best wishes, Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Ken, looks promising, eh? My back is trashed as well. My L5 is either fused or just way out of whack. I'd rather deal with the pain than take medication. For the first time a chiropractor really helped this condition. It may have been that it had to get bad enough to make a difference, I don't know. As a matter oif fact three weeks ago after my first week of treatment I felt so good I played tennis, which threw it out again for a few days.

All the best,

Henry Robinett

[quote]Originally posted by AudioMaverick: [b]My back is not doing that well, either. The right side has problems almost identical to yours. Plus, I only have decent vertebrae movement, except where the Ls and Ts meet. Everything else hurts. Do you have anything like that? [/b][/quote]I have never been told about my vertebrae movement, but I think it's okay. The bones themselves are fine, according to the X-Ray. I have large disk degeneration between L4-L5, and that will probably continue to give me some problems. This will NOT be addressed by the UCLA injection outlined above because disk degeneration (unless it is ruptured) will not secrete TNF-a. It also will not cure aching muscles. I have that, too. It's not the years, it's the mileage! :) I don't know if age has anything to do with it, to be honest. SOAPBOX, thanks. Yes, good news. So -- now that I've got everyone's attention, uh, do you think we should invade North Korea?? :eek: JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE: Thank you for your warm wishes and cheery support! The next few weeks will determine how well it works, but even if it is only 50% reduction in pain, it's still totally worth every penny. MORE INFORMATION FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN THE THERAPY: BTW, the cost was $300 for the initial doctor visit/consultation and then another $2200 for the subcutaneous injection. Subsequent injections are all $1400 if needed. If you are thinking about this, bear in mind what the theory is (posted above), bear in mind that it may not work, and bear in mind that chances are your insurance will not pop for it. Mine sure didn't. I tried to obtain pre-authorization, but it didn't work. They felt it was too "experimental" and that there wasn't enough documentation on the treatment (which is true). However, if you put 2 and 2 together and do the research based on rheumatoid arthritis and how BRMs (Biological Rheumatoid Modifiers, which are used to combat TNF-a, which is found in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis) are used to combat it, AND then put that together with how people from John Hopkins and other research institutes feel that a lot of lower back pain is caused not by bulging disks but from TNF-a, it starts to support UCLA's premise. I am posting this not only to inform you about my progress, but also because some of you may be interested in the procedure. I have nothing to gain monetarily by this, obviously, although I can always use additional good karma!

One more thing, Henry! Have you tried yoga? Specifically, Iyengar yoga? Look into it if you can. It really helps. I do yoga every morning, and then sometimes periodically throughout the day, doing a regimen that a Iyengar yoga instructor showed me for stuff for the lower back. It really helps. I don't know how I can get through the day without it. Great stretches, some of which are easy to do. If I am not at home, sometimes I'll duck into the bathroom stall and do a few quick stretches.

Ken, I'm happy to hear you are feeling better. Keep up the yoga and a good mental attitude. When you previously mentioned all the pain meds. you were taking for your back pain, I have to admit, the 'red light' went on. That is some powerful stuff and can be a bit uncomfortable to wean yourself off of. I could bore you with a few 'horror stories' about some friends and pain killers. Let's just say I'd hate to see that happen to anyone. peace, Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

Thanks, everyone. Matt, I will have to be weaned off this powerful stuff very slowly. I will be able to do it, since I've been on it only since May. I just hope that the pain evaporates enough that I am able to do this. Acupuncture did not provide enough relief, although for many things (especially muscular, etc.), I've found acupuncture to be an extremely effective form of treatment for quite a lot of things.

Archived