Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha PSR280 or Roland EM-15?

IslandShores

I would like to buy a keyboard for my children, ages 7-12. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I am looking at the lower range (under $600). I need one that I can hook up to my computer as I will be using it for choir compositions as well. So far, I have looked at the Yamaha PSR280 ($400) and the Roland EM-15 ($600). These prices are in Canadian $. Does anyone know if the difference is worth it as far as quality goes?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Em15 vs PSr280 ?

Yamaha is the better value in my opinion . The Roland EM15 is way over priced . You may want to consider the PSRGX 76 from Yamaha . 76 keys is great ! Many educational features with Yamaha as well . Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

You may want to check out ebay and see if you can get yourself a used professional quality instrument for about the same price. For your children to learn to play piano, 76 weighted keys will give them room to grow. Some used entry level pro quality boards that should be under $600CDN might include.

Roland RD300 - see: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1467038104

This unit has a "buy it now" price of $450US. The RD300 features 88 weighted keys and full MIDI compatibility so you can plug it into your computer with a MIDI interface. It also has a pretty good piano feel. The only thing missing for your purposes is that it does not have built in speakers, so if you don't have an amp, you will have to either run it through your stereo system, or head phones. But again, a small used practice amp is not expensive.

Yamaha PF-70, PF-80 or PF-85 No current auctions on ebay, but there is a PF-15, but I wouldn't recommend that because it does not have MIDI which you will need for your computer composition work. The PF-10, PF-15, PF-70 and PF-80 were Yamaha's last non sampled electric pianos. They used digital FM synthesis - so they have a particular 80's type of sound, but it is not bad, just dated. The PF-85 is a slightly newer sampled digital piano. The PF-10 had 76 semi-weighted keys, no MIDI and no internal amp/speaker so you should pass on this. The PF-15 had 88 weighted keys, and an internal speaker, so it would be great for your children to learn on, but no MIDI - so not so good for composition on your computer (although with the money you save, you can alway pick up a small USB MIDI keyboard for your computers). The PF-70 (76 weighted keys) and PF-80 (88 weighted keys) and PF-85 (digital) featured full MIDI implementation, more sounds and an internal speaker and amp.

The Yamaha PSR series and Roland EM series are hobyist grade products (like the Casio products) stuffed with lots of features and software, but fairly cheap keyboards and sound generators. Your children can learn and progress to a certain point on these and you can compose with your computer, but you if your kids progress much, you are going to end up buying something better soon.

Don.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Here is a current auction on a PF-85.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1467316596

I'm not selling anything. ebay links are for your reference.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

I own the dearer PSR 640 and spent alot of time comparing all the available brands.... I find the Yamaha sound quality way better and the ease of use fantastic too.....I use to own a Roland and they are a good keyboard but I feel the Yamahas sound has is a major improvement...

------------------

Archived