Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was the last album that you bought?

Dave Bryce

Almost dawn, and no sleep - damn, too much work lately.

SO I thought to do something fun/useful, and connected to the Corner - Yes I have an outstanding one to mention, only it's classical music...

I wasn't familiar with the Shostakovich Preludes and fugues for piano (I knew Keith Jarrett made a recording recently), so I when I saw it in the Naxos economic classical series, I just bought it.

It was a real discovery! Not only the piece is astounding (certain preludes are incredibly "Jarrett-like"), but I found a new hero on the piano. His name is Konstantin Scherbakov and he's... he's... WOW! His technique is just perfect, and his control and musicality just floored me. If you don't have the Jarrett version (or even if you have it) buy this double CD. I am listening to it every time I can.

Scherbakof's only negative is, he likes Rachmaninov... Nobody is perfect! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felix...that's for the tip on "the altogether" I shall hunt it down this weekend. I read "cydonia"s liner notes and the line up is still the patterson brothers so I guess they just wanted to try a more pop feel as opposed to their experimental endeavors. Money talks....just ask Moby, who I still think is amazingly talented, but I long for the days of "next is the e" and "ambient"...I have another though on an album I purchased not too long ago that I can gurantee all you electronic fans will love:

WAGON CHRIST - "Musipal"

...this one is so so good, Luke Vibert is a friggen energizer bunny with his many incarnations, but Wagon Christ is always my favorite. Check this out, I swear you won't be disappointed! ~nel

Andre Estermann - Balloon

Simple, beat-driven, ambient-electronic instrumental pop with lovely melancholy melodies, playful synth lines and a little hard disk headphuq. Soothing lullabies for moppet robotics. Not a single weak track on this 12-cut album from the German Sellwell imprint. Highly recommended for fans of Boards of Canada or Plone.

Quench - Exclude

Dark and delicate slices of deep moody electronics that combine somber atmospheres, intricate-yet-slamming drum programming flavored with liberal doses of DSP-and-glitch, a melodic approach that speaks of classical motifs and intense synthesizer and effects programming. 10 tracks of pure joy for those who dig Funckarma or Fizzarum. On the Netherlands label Eat This Records.

Brothomstates - Claro

New on the UKs Warp label for 2001, Finland's Brothomstates present 12 cuts that range from skittering, experimental percussive workouts to near-ambient noodles, all combined with an emotive melodic sensitivity that should appeal to fans of Autechre before they went off on their Kyma/MaxMSP-fueled academic wankery, or the electro-skullduggery of Aphex Twin circa the RDJ album and the forthcoming Drukqs.

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

i haven't purchased a "new release" cd in awhile, but yesterday i got they might be giants' "mink car". it's what i expected- moments of quirk, moments of rock. their programming is getting pretty great

sample lyric:

baby, check this out- i've got something to say

man, it's so loud in here.

when they stop the drum machine and i can think again

i'll remember what it was

Archived