Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What was the last album that you bought?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found a used copy of a very hip Jaco tribute album "Who Loves You, Baby" featuring Marcus Miller, Will Lee, John Patitucci, Mark Egan, and others. Great takes of modern jazz classics. I wanted to come up with some creative new bass parts by immersing myself in the work of brilliant bassists. Worth finding.

The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional

also bought a DVD called "Blood Brothers" by Bruce Springsteen - documents Bruce and the E-Street band getting back together - very interesting insights into Bruce as a songwriter.

------------------

www.mp3.com/thirdstoreystory

I bought great 2 albums earlier this month:

N.E.R.D. - In search of... (wonderful mixture of old & new grooves & sounds, much inspiring production, feels very fresh).

Bob Dylan - Love and theft (Great performances, very positive vibes, but I wish the liner notes would have been more elaborate though...).

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Now-Maxwell

No More Drama-Mary J. Blige

First Born Second-Bilal

Eternal-Isley Brothers

I just went on a mini-binge last week. The best of the bunch are Bilal and Maxwell. Isley's are great, but I haven't been in a romantic mood too much recently, but when it does strike, I will be reaching for ths one. Surprisingly, MJB leaves a bit to be desired...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I have ordered an album by the defunct indie geek-rock outfit from Michigan, The Fullerenes. I do not know how I came upon this stuff, but it absolutely warms my cockles. If you have a soft spot for "smart pop" along the lines of early Elvis Costello, They Might Be Giants, Robin Hitchcock, XTC, etc., you'll find something to love in the Fullerenes. The recording quality is total lo-fi, the playing amateurish and erratic, but the tunes, oh my goodness, tremendous melodic resourcefulness, really funny and literate and moving teen-geek lyrics. The chief songwriter, young lad that he be, is obviously a serious student of song craft, and his influences are all over his sleeves, all the way up to his bow tie and glasses.

If you can handle sloppy punk-pop played by spirited (and talented) ameteurs, check out mp3.com/fullerenes. Listen to "Little Fits" or "Satan is a Baby Who Lives in the Sun." No I do not know or work for the band. They're a bunch of geeks half my age in the midwest, for pete's sake, and they're no longer a band, and they haven't responded to my inquiries so I don't know if I'll ever get my copy of "Better Dating Through Technology."

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Actually I just started listening to two old albums. The one I bought is Akoustic Band (Chick Correa, John Pattitucci and Dave Weckl). I borrowed the other from a friend: Close to the Edge by YES!! Brings back great memories...

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

I was in Canada two weeks ago and picked up "The Best of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass" on CD.

I have not been able to find and HAatTB in the US at all, so I snagged it when I saw it.

All my other TJB is on MP3 from what used to be Napster.

Why did I get such a yen for Herb? Blame the Angry Beavers!

I love that cartoon and the soundtrack is like an homage to the Tijuana Brass.

Carl

Carl

any of you have find this: You buy a dc and when you get home there are only 2 or 3 songs that you really like, and the rest sucks... and if that is not enough the songs that you like are numbre 1, 7, and 12?????

yeah i never liked Wish you were here too much... though everybody seems to rave about it. I've always liked Dark Side the most...

Ya know, Wish You Were Here came on today on the way to college and i thought it was quite appropriate for the current events here in america:

how i wish, how i wish you were here bin laden, so i can fucking kill you http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

"Tilt" by Scott Walker. Now that I think about it, it's the only "commercial" album from the '90s I own- it came out on Columbia but it's on Drag City Records these days. It's a work of art- like a hearing an iron bell tolling in the distance, signalling the end of the 20th century. The Walker Brothers had some big hits in the mid '60s, especially in Europe, this album is more...cabaret? operetta? chamber music? anyway it's great.

-CB

Originally posted by Krakit:

I was in Canada two weeks ago and picked up "The Best of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass" on CD.

I have not been able to find and HAatTB in the US at all, so I snagged it when I saw it.

All my other TJB is on MP3 from what used to be Napster.

Why did I get such a yen for Herb? Blame the Angry Beavers!

I love that cartoon and the soundtrack is like an homage to the Tijuana Brass.

Carl

Boy, this brings back the memories, I've still got both Vol i and ii Greatest hits on vinyl. I've also got the greatest hits of a TJB spinoff group, Julius Wechter and the Baja Marimba Band. You gotta love any band that has both a lead and a bass marimba!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Howard Jones Live acoustic - recorded in US.

Just him on a grand piano and the amazing Carol Steele on percussion and b vox. This is a brilliant album and demonstrates that Mr Jones is an excellent player and doesn't need to rely on technology to sound good. It also showcases just how many great songs he actually wrote. 10/10

Just used my Masterlink to compile a CD of the two Yazoo albums (don't tell anyone!) I thoroughly recommend revisiting this band if you can. Vince Clarke post DM and pre Erasure and the totally wonderful vocal talents of Alison Moyet. Both are classic synth albums and the songs and production are brilliant. I play it in the car and get all nostalgic - sob sob !

Bassment

...Strange Little Girls - Toro Amos....awesome cover album. Unique, creative, amazing keyboard playing (lots of wurlizer, rhodes, ever present bosendorfer)...I am always blown away by her talent.

Roots Mauva - Run come save me...Reggae/hip-hop/dub...real good sounds from ninja tune/big dada (no suprise there)

Eagerly awaiting Ursula Ruckers Soul Sista (The roots girls with the real sultry voice)...I think it's an October release though.

Originally posted by Rob Wallace:

Howard Jones Live acoustic - recorded in US.

Just him on a grand piano and the amazing Carol Steele on percussion and b vox. This is a brilliant album and demonstrates that Mr Jones is an excellent player and doesn't need to rely on technology to sound good. It also showcases just how many great songs he actually wrote. 10/10

That's a favorite of mine too. I really didn't care for the percussionist's contribution, but Jones' piano chops are terrific. HJ's greatest hits CD is worth having, too, if only for his cover of Donald Fagen's "IGY".

I remember reading early interviews with Howard Jones, where he talked about playing in pubs and how he would do a killer piano version of Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody." Wish I had a recording of That!

New CD's this week...

Orbital - The Altogether (good stuff - I recommend)

Uberzone - Faith in the Future (also good)

Groove Armada - Goodbye Country (Hello Nightclub) (another winner)

Guilty pleasure on the way...

Tomb Raider Soundtrack

Chris...Do you really like the orb's new one? I think all those female vocals are pretty awful. And I say this as a huge orb fan...I was disappointed with their pop feel on this one. They are the premiere experimental ambient band (as far as I'm concerned) and this one falls short. Adventures in the Ultraworld and UF orb and still my two favorites. Is the "altogether" out domestically yet? When it was first released it was import only and went for 27 bucks...I don't like them THAT much, but do want to get it as I've heard really good reviews.

I'm not a huge fan of the Orb's new stuff (isn't the lineup different than it used to be - just one guy now, but others used to be involved?), but the older stuff is great (and I'm a sucker for "Little Fluffy Clouds")

Orbital - The Altogether is out domestic now, and it's a 2-disc set, the 2nd disc being remixes and unreleased tracks. This also is the first time they've put Dr.? on a CD (if you've seen them live, you may be familiar with the track that uses the Dr. Who theme). Pretty cool.

Archived