Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do arpegiators help you compose ? Curios ?

Dan O

Hello to all ,

Most workstations have an arpegiator . How many really utilize the arpegiator to compose music ?

I could of sworn that the movie "3000 miles to GRACELAND" had loops all over the place . Triton ? Motif ? Owners ?

How many are generating arpegiations and altering them via midi or audio ?

Just Curios ......dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not yet they don't, but I'm feeling more open to their nefarious influence every day...

Without sounding precious, the stuff I write tends to be a little too "hand-crafted" for argeggiators. I don't claim this to be a good thing; just that "I yam what I yam." It would be difficult to just lay in an arpeggio and hope that it will inetgrate with what-all else is going on. My style of writing--by no means prog rock but certainly founded on a youth of Kansas/Genesis/Dixie Dregs obsession--tends to be really "locked in," and harmonically busy, while automated arpeggios seem more congenial to a layered and textural approach. But the current technologies as well as the current musical climate have me thinking more seriously about their application to my music. My next board (most likely a Motif) will have one, so I'll write back in a couple of months. And just to deflect any criticism in advance, I don't think that arpeggiators are anti-musical or anti-musician. My breif exposure to them left no doubt in my mind that there is an art to it.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I've played around with arps a lot, mostly just for fun, but what I tend to do is to come up w/ something I like, have the sequencer record the notes, and then manipulate it. But I haven't done too much of this anyways.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Originally posted by dano:

Hello to all ,

Most workstations have an arpegiator . How many really utilize the arpegiator to compose music ?

How many are generating arpegiations and altering them via midi or audio ?

Just Curios ......dano

Hi Dano...

Actually, the song I composed for this Forum's compilation CD was based in an arpeggio coming from my REAKTOR softsynth. It is a very simple three note up-and-down arpeggiator which gave an idea for the rhythm of the song. It is the base for my whole song.

Some other arpeggios were recorded and then processed through filtering.

So, yes. I do use them to compose and get ideas.

------------------

Gus Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

Gus TraX @musicplayer.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by That Portland Dude:

Anyone want to mention their favorite use of arpeggiators in a song? Duran Duran's "Rio" comes to mind.

Chris

Rio is mine too

arrhh School disco's http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Ian

Archived