Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

You are not gonna believe this...

Dave Bryce

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And this clown's a preacher?! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif I feel for anyone who was brought up in his church!

As Jeff Foxworthy might say, we Christians just can't seem to keep the most ignorant of us off the radio and TV.

Peace all,

Steve

This message has been edited by SWBuck1074@aol.com on 09-15-2001 at 09:36 PM

><>

Steve

Being a bible toting fool myself, I can see how he might have just burst out with those statements. I feel if he was allowed to expand those thoughts with comments from the Bible, his point might have more creditability. Cause in the bible, if your a believer, such things have happened before. Casey

P.S. Religion is the ivention of a perfect God given to imperfect human beings.

This message has been edited by kcbass on 09-15-2001 at 10:46 PM

"Let It Be!"

Being a bible toting fool myself, I can see how he might have just burst out with those statements.

Burst out? On national television? Knowing full well that millions of people would see and hear him? With Pat Robertson chiming in full agreement?

Are you gonna stick with that?

First of all, I don't think that he "burst out" with anything - I sincerely believe that this is exactly what this man thinks - both of them, actually.

Secondly, it seems to me that Reverend Falwell is in what I would call a position of responsibility and power. I don't think that "bursting out" goes with the job description. Too many people follow what he says - I believe that it would be extraordinarlily irresponsible for him to "burst out" with anything.

I feel if he was allowed to expand those thoughts with comments from the Bible, his point might have more creditability.

Really?

Who cut him off, exactly? Why wasn't he allowed to expand his thoughts?

Please feel free to expand on his thoughts, because frankly I see them as being ignorant, irresponsible, ill-timed and extremely inflammatory - and I think I'm being kind here.

I would be very interested to hear the viewpoint of someone who feels that this line of thought might have credibility.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Personally, I think they're the two buttcheeks that form the perfect asshole.

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 09-15-2001 at 11:41 PM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Anyone who themselves claim to be good Christians should come out and publicly denounce this ass.

This motherfucker has been a hate monger since before Regan was president.

kcbass, please tell me you aren't really defending this jackass. Not from anywhere in the world have I heard such callous, insensitive remarks. Fuck him!!!

steadyb

p.s. would he be saying this shit if his own children or grandchildren had been killed??? Fuck him!!!

oh, and by the way, did I mention...FUCK HIM!!!!!!

This message has been edited by steadyb on 09-16-2001 at 02:55 AM

This is the outcome of the thinking that ANY God is on ANY side.

If I were one of the Gods, I would kill myself out of shame! I would show my dead body to the world to make clear that from now on, people have to love and respect each other instead of following "leaders" who say they act in the name of a God.

Don't ask a God to bless one nation or one religion.

We live on one planet. Terror knows no borders. So does respect.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Well, as Casey says, many Chrisitians do believe in wrathful (but just) visitations upon the wicked -- but since when has Yahweh been so indiscriminate in his wrath, or rather since when has his aim been so bad? Seems to me he took out a lot of good right wing pro-life homophobes along with all the immoral slime. By any logic, it just don't stand up.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by steadyb:

Anyone who themselves claim to be good Christians should come out and publicly denounce this ass.

This motherfucker has been a hate monger since before Regan was president.

kcbass, please tell me you aren't really defending this jackass. Not from anywhere in the world have I heard such callous, insensitive remarks. Fuck him!!!

steadyb

p.s. would he be saying this shit if his own children or grandchildren had been killed??? Fuck him!!!

oh, and by the way, did I mention...FUCK HIM!!!!!!

This message has been edited by steadyb on 09-16-2001 at 02:55 AM

No, I`m saying I understand where he`s coming from. To Christians, sin brings self destruction. God has no concern what so ever for our flesh or material wealth. Your soul is His only concern. For Jerry to name sins was wrong. For he didn`t mention my cigarette smoking, did he? Casey

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by Magpel:

Well, as Casey says, many Chrisitians do believe in wrathful (but just) visitations upon the wicked -- but since when has Yahweh been so indiscriminate in his wrath, or rather since when has his aim been so bad? Seems to me he took out a lot of good right wing pro-life homophobes along with all the immoral slime. By any logic, it just don't stand up.

Oh yes it will stand. When Pharoh enslaved the Hebrews, God showed his wrath against everyone but Pharoh. Read this in Genesis. Read also in 'JOB' how Satan made a "bet" with God. He let Satan kill all Job`s children, took all Job`s wealth, and made Job as sick as a dog. Casey

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by kcbass:

When Pharoh enslaved the Hebrews, God showed his wrath against everyone but Pharoh. Read this in Genesis.

First of all, I believe that the enslavement of the Hebrews and the subsequent wrath of God in retaliation for same to which you refer is in Exodus, not Genesis.

Secondly, if you read Exodus 12:29, it says:

"At midnight, the Lord struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharoah, who sat on the throne to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of the livestock as well. Pharoah, and all of his officials and all of the Egyptians got up during the night, and there was loud wailing in Egypt for there was not a house without someone dead"

You'll also note that God warned the Hebrews (in Exodus 12:3-12:13) exactly what steps to take so they would not suffer his wrath. I'd say that was some pretty discriminate targeting.

Perhaps you're referring to a different part of the bible?

dB

To Christians, sin brings self destruction.

So did all the Christians that cheat on their income tax, or their spouse, bring this destruction??? Bullshit. Sorry kc, but you are sounding like an idiot. Quotes from the bible can be twisted and put into any context a fanatic wishes.

Sin did not cause this destruction, other than the specific sin of committing this terrible act, by those who committed it.

Do yourself a favor kc and keep your lame opinions on this topic to yourself. A lot of people died this week, and you're remarks are only slightly less sensitive than that moron Falwell's.

P.S. Religion is the ivention of a perfect God given to imperfect human beings.

Religion is a HUMAN invention. Fairy-tales too. Shall we quote some?

"Bangarang!" (Peter Pan, 5th scene, act two)

Can we please stop this bible-battle? The world needs some rational thinking right now. There allready are too many Falwell-ayatollahs on our planet.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

You guys are right, of course.

The reason that I dragged this topic down here in the first place was that I was just in such a state of outrage and shock from reading it that I needed to hear as many people as possible tell me that he was as far out in the Twilight Zone as it appeared to me.

I can only hope that the majority of people who read or hear his comments are equally as put off by them.

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I can only hope that the majority of people who read or hear his comments are equally as put off by them.

At the risk of repeating myself, this guy is NOT a good representative of true Christianity. If you want to know what the CREDIBLE Christian leaders have to say, check out the thread called "You CAN believe this!"

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

CREDIBLE Christian leaders... CREDIBLE Islamic leaders...

"You CAN believe this..." "God is on OUR side..." "Allah is on our side..."

I mean this with the greatest respect to everyone's believes: Please, leave all religions privately at home, and don't let it interfere with politics. If we do, peace and understanding is so much easier to accomplish...

Terror does not see the difference between religions. Neither does peace.

I am a BIG fan of peace. Peace rules. WE rule!

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

I am a Chistian.

I think Falwell's comments are politically motivated and completely wrong. I chose to post my extended comments on Craig's thread.

There's a number of posts here and in Craig's forum that broaden the issues some what. Some say:

"Christians, you should denounce this guy" ...or ..."Where do you Christians stand on this issue"

Others say things like:

"I wish you guys wouldn't bring up religion, here."

Forgive me for misquoting anyone, I am just trying to summarize here.

The fact is the Christians have not brought this up. As a Christian I am embarrassed by this incident ... I'll be happy if it goes away. However, we have been asked by our friends here to speak to this. Some us feel obliged to.

You'll notice that there is a variety of responses to this. Christians are not monolithic, just a people-group in all shapes and sizes.

For the record, I am perfectly happy to not have ANY religious discussions on this board. If invited, I may feel obliged to comment. If I see any religion bashing that I think is unfair (all faiths) I'll speak up, to make sure there is no chilling effect on people of faith. (Several of my gay friends would agree with me that a "don't ask don't tell" policy has a chilling effect.) I do want to add, that I have seen many religious threads on many forums, and this forum is awesome for it's intelligent, literate, and politically sensitive comments on issues.

However, let's NOT talk about religion, friends. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Originally posted by Tusker:

The fact is the Christians have not brought this up. As a Christian I am embarrassed by this incident ...

The fact is that evil humans did this to us. Please, try to think in terms of human beings - not in WE Christians, or THEY the Islamics.

If we bring the evil humans to justice and prevent that the breeding ground of extremism will prosper we are gaining a lot in the right direction.

We must be willing to pay a little more for our sport shoes to give those pour workers in pour countries a better life. (poverty - an excellent breeding ground for extremism)

Maybe it is not such a bad idea to invest in Afghanistan. In trade of some suspects who are hiding there...

P.s: "Peace is good for business" (Rules of acquisition 35) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

Originally posted by pim@dancewave.nl:

The fact is that evil humans did this to us. Please, try to think in terms of human beings - not in WE Christians, or THEY the Islamics.

Perhaps my statement was not clear.

In THAT particular statement I was referring to Falwell's idiotic statements, not the attack on civilized countries, which the hijacking-crashes represent. I was asked by steady b...to clarify where I stood AS A christian. I do it reluctantly, as I explained in my post. I agree that our common humanity is much more important than any differences we may have.

Speaking of differences, you might want to know that I am asian by race, have lived in countries with significant muslim populations, and have several muslim friends I love and respect greatly.

Here's my point: Osama should not be used to demonize "Muslims". Falwell should not be used to demonize "Christians". Hitler should not be used to demonize

"Secularists"...... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

"Christians" have been made an issue in this thread. I have not used the word "them." Just the word "us." Does that help clarify my post? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by pim@dancewave.nl:

If we bring the evil humans to justice and prevent that the breeding ground of extremism will prosper we are gaining a lot in the right direction.

We must be willing to pay a little more for our sport shoes to give those pour workers in pour countries a better life. (poverty - an excellent breeding ground for extremism)

Maybe it is not such a bad idea to invest in Afghanistan. In trade of some suspects who are hiding there...

P.s: "Peace is good for business" (Rules of acquisition 35) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

I completely agree with all your statements.

If you go to my more lengthy post in Craig's forum you will see the following propositions(paraphrased here):

- We should drop food and clothing not bombs on the Afghans this winter.

- I, personally see the current attack as George Jr. reaping seed sown by George Sr.'s flawed Desert Storm, not seed sown by whatever liberal groups Mr. Falwell chooses to attack.

- If the US conducts foreign policy in a way that displays it's true character, we will have less problems with terrorism.

I suggest that my statement: "I am a Christian" may have lead you to think of me in certain commonly accepted ways. It is precisely that sort of "demographic generalization" that I would like to avoid, not just for Christians, but for brown skinned-people, males, Sri-lankan-Tamils, homosexuals, women, west-centric liberals, etc. I am a member of the first three of the above groups and am not a member of the last three. I have friends I love and respect in all of these groups. My point is that to single out any group is incorrect. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Keeping my brown tail out-of sight in Dallas...... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Jerry Aiyathurai

This message has been edited by Tusker on 09-17-2001 at 10:31 AM

Archived