Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How will YOU lift yourself up??????????

steadyb

I was re-reading my posts (and dansouth's) on the football thread and I realized I needed to do something intentional to cheer myself up. I decided after 3 days glued to the TV news, that I would break away for a moment and watch one of my favorite movies instead...but which one???

...as I looked through my movie collection (video), there were several choices, all good possibilities but not perfect...

...then, there it was...the movie that would help me break out of this depressed funk I've been in since Tuesday,...it just seemed too appropriate. But it worked, I feel better, and felt a lot better for 2+ hours while watching it...

The movie : "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"

So, how will you lift yourself up??? - What movie, what music, what act, what might you even think about to help you start to get your positive attitude back???

After the horrible events over the last few days, I think everyone's suggestions could help all of us find ways to feel better.

steadyb

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by steadyb:

So, how will you lift yourself up??? - What movie, what music, what act, what might you even think about to help you start to get your positive attitude back???

After the horrible events over the last few days, I think everyone's suggestions could help all of us find ways to feel better.

steadyb

For me (yesterday night) it was ... music, no less. To be more specific - I put The Flower Kings new (promo) CD "The Rainmaker" into my player and (after listening to this remarkable work in headphones for all the 77 minutes) felt much better, really.

This message has been edited by Gulliver on 09-14-2001 at 09:17 AM

I am back.

Music played and listened to. Prayer and praise, alone and with friends. Plenty of family time. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif Used to be I would try to hit the life out of a tennis ball against a wall, but that's not practical at the moment. Feel the urge though. Also connecting with friends, like I am doing here.

I am trying to reduce the amount of news content I am stuffing myself with. It seems to feed a certain hunger, but it sharpens the sense of bereavement.

My work (business work I mean) is at a complete standstill. And somehow, I don't think that is all wrong. At least for awhile.

Regards,

Jerry

This message has been edited by Tusker on 09-14-2001 at 10:22 AM

No music/movies for me. I will continue to make and enjoy music when I feel I'm ready to do so.

In a strange way it's like a sad holiday, but I enjoy the silence too and feel my strength is coming back slowly. It won't take forever, but I will take the time that I need.

All the best

Robert

I'll tell you one thing...I certainly gained a new appreciation for how lucky I am to have a great little family. I really am glad I've had a wife, a son and three cats to hang out with over the past couple days when I get home from work.

Although I haven't been able to bring myself to play an instrument since this happened, over the weekend I'm going to try and play some piano. Maybe see if I can write and record something to capture the moment. Use the negative emotions as constructively as possible.

I still don't think I could watch a comedy movie, or listen to happy carefree rock-n-roll. But I will try and funnel some sadness into something good, somehow, over the weekend. Being at work since this happened has kept me pretty numb, so I'm looking forward to just sitting back, closing my eyes at the keyboard and playing for a few hours tomorrow.

- Jeff

I was talking to my girlfriend about this yesterday and we are going hiking in the Cuyamaca Mountains on Sunday. I just need to get away from people for a day. I'm very stressed out and I'm not sleeping much.

I went into a convenience store last night to buy a diet soda and there were a few Middle-Eastern gentlemen working there.....I think they call that a stereotype. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif You could tell they were being extra friendly and I definitely felt some tension. I was nicer than usual too and I felt bad for these guys and I'll bet they are even more stressed than me.

Yesterday I decided that I needed to do whatever I could to get myself out of the doldrums. Here's my recipe, and it seems to be working.

1 - Get plenty of sleep, and go to bed as early as you can.

2 - Eat when you're supposed to, even if you're not hungry. A light snack is better than nothing.

3 - Get up and move around. Take a walk. Go to the store. Exercise. Do SOMETHING!!

4 - Get busy. There's always something to do. When that becomes boring, move onto something else. Or try to do two things at once (e.g. laundry and exercise).

5 - Don't do any ONE thing for too long. It's easy to get fixated. Minutes turn into hours, and you become a listless blob. VERY BAD!!!

Dan's advice here is good. In fact, it seems that much of the nation is being temporarily affected in the same way that chronically depressed people feel all the time.

The big indications of depression include sudden loss or gain of appetite, inability to sleep at normal intervals or general change in sleep patterns, general but non-justifiable fatigue and so on. Making sure you're keeping an eye out for these symptoms in yourselves and loved ones is a good idea right now.

Also, talking to people about your feelings...friends, co-workers, internet pals and so on...is also highly recommended.

- Jeff

Well, I was going on a retreat with my church choir, but that got canceled due to the tropical storm that just blew through. As if I needed more stress.

Oh well.

I usually unwind with Disney movies. a little Toy Story would cheer me up good about now...

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

One of my favorite ways to do nothing and clear my head has always been to just park outside the airport and watch the planes come and go. Today it was especially encouraging just to see them moving again. I pass by the airport everyday to and from work, and the total inactivity there for the last couple of days has been eerie.

Since I play music every night for my living, I can't abstain from that. However, I've noticed that my improv the last couple of nights has been darker and more dissonant, both rhythmically and melodically. I guess it's kind of an involuntary reaction to how I feel about this whole situation. I suppose in that sense it's kind of therapeudic for me. We've been finishing our nights with a patriotic song. Either "America The Beautiful" or "God Bless America" seems to boost our spirits, and the audience's as well.

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Just thought I'd add; Going to church at noon today and seeing the place stuffed to the walls with people was uplifting, too. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

If you live on the U.S. west coast and are reading this now, don't forget to go outside with a lit candle at 7PM to show respect for those killed.

And putting out the American flag and putting another small one on the antenna of my truck makes me feel better, too. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

This weekend is my 40th birthday. My wife and I considered calling off the party, because it felt wierd to 'celebrate', but now it feels appropriate to get together and mark another milestone in life. We have a 3-piece jazz combo(not 'smoothe' jazz) coming over, and the bass player called to make sure it was still on. He said his other gigs have been canceled, leaving staring at the TV constantly, so he also really needs to play to lift himself out of the malaise. Sounds like the get together will be musical therapy for all.

Steve

Nord Stage 88, Roland XP80, Barbetta Amps, and a bunch of stuff gathering dust in the corner.

If you havn't seen it already, I would highly recommend a little movie from our Aussie friends called "The Dish". It's about some of the unsung heroes of the first moon landing.

You'll laugh, you'll cry. Good catharsis all round, I think.

(It's out on video BTW)

- Layne

Just a note or two........ of my feelings to share with all of you.

Like all of you, I was shocked at what had happened, and happy and proud to see the strength of recovery, and the focus to the needs of others.

Today I went outside and cut an acre and one half of grass and weed whacked. Cut the grass twice, and it took at least 3 1/2 Hrs. The fresh cool air, helped me a lot. I left the TV that displayed the terror, and destruction to those who have had to deal with it on the planes, and in the buildings affected. I and my wife had many tears that was very hard to keep back.

I've been stuck to the TV ever since this event had happened and sometimes stayed up until 1:30 AM in the morning. I guess that I'm hoping that something positive can come out of all this.

Some things that have bothered me these past few days was the fact that this happened on 911, the Bible's predictions in the New Testament, and the chilling predictions of Nostradamus from the 17th century........ stated......

"In the year of the new century and nine months, from the sky will come a great King of Terror...... The sky will burn at forty-five degrees. Fire approaches the great city....

"In the city of York, there will be a great collapse, 2 twin brothers torn apart by chaos while the fortress falls, the great leader will succumb, third big war will begin when the big city is burning"

Nostradamus

He said this will be bigger than the first two wars.

2001 is the first year of the new century and this is the 9th month. New York is located at the 41st degree Latitude.

Some one at work showed me a snap-shot of a picture of one of the towers when it started to fall, I guess they played the scene in slow motion to review the event. During the play back a face appeared in the rubble as the building was collapsing. This photograph was printed in the Flint MI. Journal. It looked like the face of the devil himself, or a person with a beard. Really spooky!!!!!!!!

But I guess this is just a wake-up call to all of us, we need to have compassion towards each other. I'm very pleased to see that everyone is helping in some way or another, if only in prayers and kindness. I'm not a very religious person, but believe in God, goodness, compassion, and for the love of life itself. Every day must count, don't dwell on the sorrow, try not to get angry at others, don't take advantage of others, forgive if you can.

It has been tough for me these last few days, and probably will not stop for a while either. I had to turn off the TV just because my cranium is saturated with this horrible, disgusting event. I am still as mad as hell, but just for justice to be served. It is hard to re-a-line my thoughts to do even music for now. I'm trying to be around friends and family, and to have a positive attitude. My two sons are both in college and away from home. I worry about them too. I'm a father and that's my job.

I agree with all of you, I fly the flag, have one on the house, one on my Envoy, went to church to pray for the losses. I just can't help but wonder where this will lead us all. I hope and pray that all will be safe from this evil, and we can change the future for the better, and root out this disease as quickly as possible.

I hope I didn't strike too many bad tones here, but these are only my thoughts.

Peace to all, keep the faith, and God bless all of you......

Jazzman

Originally posted by Jazzman:

A face appeared in the rubble as the building was collapsing. This photograph was printed in the Flint MI. Journal. It looked like the face of the devil himself, or a person with a beard. Really spooky!!!!!!!!

I saw this picture in this morning's Las Vegas Review/Journal. At least I assume it's the same picture. If I'd seen this in a supermarket tabloid I'd have been skeptical, but this was too credible looking to dismiss. The "face" was even a lighter shade of grey to contrast with the rest of the smoke, and eminated from the point of the plane's impact. I agree, really spooky. Almost as if Satan was signing his work. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Jazzman, what Bible quotes are you referring to? I assume you mean from Revelations. Personally, I don't put too much stock in Nostradamus, though. I'd be more inclined to believe that the terrorists based their attack on this prediction, so they could fulfill this "prophecy". Evil people tend to use the resulting paranoia and confusion to their advantage.

BTW, who is Timothy Leary?

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Archived