Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sample sites

Kendrix

Every once in a while I've heard it said that there are tons of good samples available out in net land.

I never bothered cause with dial up I couldnt stand to download anything.

I just upgraded to a cable modem/broadband service and am ready to rock. Plus my latest track seems to want a new snare sound.

Any pointers to good sample sites??

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kendrix, a lot depends on what kind of sampler(s) you are using or what formats you are able to use, but:

Big Fish Audio (bigfishaudio.com) has a wide, multi-format selection, a bit heavy on loops, for which I have no use, but plenty of good instrument samples in there too.

Sonicimplants.com is a really cool place to find very very affordable sample collections, many of which are downloadable as single instruments or small ensembles. I use their Blue Jay drum kits a lot. I don't consider them top of the heap sonically, but they're damn good and extremely playable drum samples. Excellent use of velocity layers. They sell gigasamples, soundfonts, Kurzweil, some Akai I believe, Sample Cell, etc.

They are the brainchild of Jennifer Hruska, who was apparently a key player in the development of the Kurzweil K2000.

Soundsonline.com is a big resource for samples, not cheap stuff.

For Gigasampler libraries, also check out biggagiggas.com. Some very useful stuff there, and much more affordable than most giga collections.

There's also Bardstown audio for some unusual gigasampler collections. I'm interested in their accordion library.

And studiocat.com, which sells only the purrrfect drums, a giga drum lirary that totals something like 12 GB!!

For Giga, there's also DanDeanPro.com, Nick Phoenix's Quantum Leap stuff (the Brass is outstanding--one of the few libraries that's good for Pop/Jazz/Latin brass)

SoundFonts, of course, are freely available all over the Web. It's very hit and miss, mostly miss, but some of the most highly regarded SoundFont GM banks, such as Fluid and Cadenza, have some very excellent individual instruments which can mined out by using the Vienna soundfont editor. Start at Hammersound.net. That's the biggest single collection and it will also link you to the whacky world of free soundfonts. You can, BTW, convert soundfonts to other popular formats by using CD Extract or the Chickensys translator, or comparable programs.

Sampleheads.com has an excellent small collection of libraries, but I'm not sure I've got the URL right! I believe they carry the Peter Erskine Living Drums and Will Lee bass libraries.

EastWest does some excellent pianos and other things.

Jeez, I've left a million places out, but this is a start.

John

Originally posted by Kendrix:

Every once in a while I've heard it said that there are tons of good samples available out in net land.

I never bothered cause with dial up I couldnt stand to download anything.

I just upgraded to a cable modem/broadband service and am ready to rock. Plus my latest track seems to want a new snare sound.

Any pointers to good sample sites??

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I think John nailed 'em all, except for www.ilio.com (includes Spectrasonics releases). Their demos take forever on 56K, should be rocket fast via cable modem.

If you have a K2xxx, try Sweetwater's sample libraries. I've heard that their Stereo Drums are killer.

Speaking of Sampleheads, I just ordered the Will Lee Ultra Freakin' Bass and Peter Erskine libraries based on how hip the demos are.

Archived