Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

No football this weekend

sbrock1san.rr.com

How will we ever survive ? They announced there would be no pro ball this weekend. I kind of favor the decision because it doesn't seem like people are in the mood for enjoyment or entertainment. I tried to watch some comedy on TV last night and I couldn't even laugh. My sex drive has shut off too and that's NEVER happened ! Taking a break from sports feels like the right move, what do you think ?

BTW- I was supposed to be in Egypt on Saturday for a 2 week vacation....the trip is off and I'm safe here in So Cal. After hearing that some of the hijackers were Egyptian Nationals that really freaked me out. The world does not seem like a safe place for Americans right now. The bright side is....once I get my refund from the travel agency I can buy some new gear with the cash. I see a nylon-string guitar in my future. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No football???!!!!??!

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif

Okay, what does *that* solve?

Don't mind me - I'm just grumbling...I could use some football after this week...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Postman:

I'm disappointed, too, but the players don't want to play. Having played the game for seven years myself, I can tell you that it's just not possible to play the game if your heart's not in it.

Yeah, I can understand that...like I said, I'm just grumbling.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue must have been visited by the ghost of Pete Rozelle, and reminded that football was played on the Sunday following the JFK assassination to the consternation of the American public.

Granted, the NFL means more to the nation now than it did back then, when baseball was the national pastime. But no one should complain about erring on the side of caution. While it would probably be beneficial for most Americans to have some positive, mindless diversion days from now, who knows how we'll all feel come Sunday.

Perhaps a better use of this Sunday afternoon is to be in the company of our families, on the phone with loved ones, or give a few hours of work back to our community.

Gentlemen:

One of the reasons for No football or any mass sports this weekend is because simply THERE ARE NO FLIGHTS available.

They can not transport themselves in an adequeate way to their playing arenas...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

Gentlemen:

One of the reasons for No football or any mass sports this weekend is because simply THERE ARE NO FLIGHTS available.

They can not transport themselves in an adequeate way to their playing arenas...

NFL teams use charter flights, so flight availability isn't an issue. The state of the US airport system could be an issue, though teams wouldn't be travelling until Saturday.

Originally posted by mzeger:

NFL teams use charter flights, so flight availability isn't an issue. The state of the US airport system could be an issue, though teams wouldn't be travelling until Saturday.

Actually that was what I meant, my friend, sorry.

None can fly right now...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Interesting comment about the sex drive. I'm not really interested in any of my passions right now, women, music, food, work, exercise, movies, photography, ...

I'm only doing as much work as I absolutely have to. Beyond that, I'm just hanging out waiting for news and phone calls. I haven't been eating much. Shock is real. I have to be cafeful snap myself out of this after a few days and not let it turn into depression.

So what do we do now????

Im not in too much of a music mood although I'll give it a try. I think what Im going to do is boycott T.V. since there arent any sports and rent movies or go to one or two, I might also visit a few friends and just drink and play cards while listening to some loud ass CD's!!

What are you going to do this weekend??

TROLL . . . ish.

Rozelle had commented that having the games go on after the JFK assasination was the worst mistake he ever made as commissioner. Selfishly, one part of me is with Dave; I could use some football to take my mind off things.

On the other hand, I don't know if my mind should be taken off things. I don't think I want an opiate of sorts to make this vanish just yet. In any case, this is one of the only times the NFL has stopped playing for any reason -- war, national tragedy or otherwise.

It has yet to be decided whether they'll try to wedge the game back into the season or just go with a 15-game season. Any thoughts on this, football fans? Or on who would have won this weekend?

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

It has yet to be decided whether they'll try to wedge the game back into the season or just go with a 15-game season. Any thoughts on this, football fans? Or on who would have won this weekend?

- Jeff

I think they have to reschedule Week 2 because San Diego had their bye this weekend. The only option that makes sense is to extend the regular season by a week, and start the post season a week later (similar to what MLB announced today). Looks like we'll have a February 10 Super Bowl.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

I'm only doing as much work as I absolutely have to. Beyond that, I'm just hanging out waiting for news and phone calls. I haven't been eating much. Shock is real. I have to be careful snap myself out of this after a few days and not let it turn into depression.

Me too. I can't shake this deep, dull, sadness I'm feeling. Once I drop my son off at school and head off to work, it's very hard to not be sad all day. Seeing my wife after work and playing catch with my son helps while I'm doing it, but when it's just quiet time alone, or watching the news, I can't stop thinking of all the families of the victims and what kind of world my two sons have to look forward to. I really envy my parents and grandparents right now.

sorry to be so dark, Dan's post just really hit home with me.

steadyb

Agreed with steadyb. It is good to have this community here. I lurk and post on a bunch of forums and newsgroups, and the musicplayer forums are actually the most sane I've seen. Most others are so full of racist, "kill 'em all" rhetoric that I can't deal with them right now.

Back to the topic: football. Raiders woulda whipped ass on the Jets. Any other "woulda-coulda-shoulda" opinions out there? Come on peeps...something to get our minds off the other shit.

- Jeff

Back to the topic: football. Raiders woulda whipped ass on the Jets. Any other "woulda-coulda-shoulda" opinions out there? Come on peeps...something to get our minds off the other shit.

- Jeff

Safe bet, but I'm not so sure. Jets are going to be fired up, and they are not precisely a talentless squad. If they didn't put up a good fight against the Raiders, their season would be buried.

I'm an NY Giants fan, and I think their imperative against the Packers this weekend was just as urgent as the Jets'.

What about the Bucs? Every year, more and more people pick them to go all the way, and they still come out cjarging at, you know, 9 points a game or whatever. It's not like they lack the tools. Their O-line has proven itself worthy. They've got a sweet tandem in the backfield, excellent receivers in Keyshawn and Jacques Green, and now a quarterback who has shown brilliance on occasion. It must be something that inheres deeply in Dungy's coaching philosophy. This team has the talent to really open it up offensively. And the defense needs no defense...

Very impressed with the Broncos last Monday night. In fact when I think about it: Broncos, Ravens, Titans, Raiders, Dolphins, Colts. The AFC is flat loaded this year. NFC frontrunners are a bit of a more suspect lot: Bucs, Rams, Eagles, Giants, Vikings? Vikings? Every team there has a known liability: Rams defense, Bucs offense, Eagles experience and running game, Giants defensive secondary and sporadic offense, Vikings defense. AFC is certainly where the heavy action is this year. How times have changed. Of course the AFC has a lot of ground to make up after what was the embarrassment of the 80s and most of the 90s.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

- Jeff

All I know is that I'm still in the pool. Are we jumping to our week 3 picks??? I had Jacksonville week 2, and Minnesota week 3.

Sorry, I'm just trying to stay distracted. But it's not easy.

We had a full football (=soccer) program this weekend.

Before all matches began, the players stood in a circle and took a silence of two minutes out of respect and solidarity with all victims and their beloved ones. It was goosebumps generating to hear just the wind in a stadium with a crowd 60000.

Some of the fans brought USA flags or made flags with supporting lyrics.

Terror knows no borders, so does respect. So does justice.

------------------

-- Pim --

www.dancewave.nl

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Archived