Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

holysh*t is anyone watching the news?

midispaceho

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My deepest simpathies to all my brothers and sisters in the U.S. When I saw this tragedy on TV this afternoon (me and Marino are in the same time zone), for me and for all people in Sarajevo and everybody in Bosnia in Herzegovina it looked like the nightmare coming back to life. I pray you see no more of this. I`ve lived with situation like this for four years during the bosnian war, so I can understand your pain as a familly member, lover, and friend of the innocent. I still feel lost, like the piece of myself died today. "No man is an island". There are no wors to describe how horrible this is.

Now, someone mentioned war. I wish you never smell it, never see it, never hear it, never spend a second in it. Trust me guys on this one. There is not the worst thing that can happend to you. I`ve been there and have see it all.

About revenge... This crime against innocent people can not be measured and weigheted, can not be described in any way. Sarajevo lost 20,000 innocent children during the war. This is just one unimaginable crime. Adequate retaliation can only be similar crime. Guys, you dont want that, I`m sure.

I love you all, and let God bless this planet and keep our children safe from harm.

Faruk

This message has been edited by Faruk on 09-11-2001 at 07:05 PM

Fat But Fast

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

My thoughts precisely. I'm an American citizen. Should I be condemned for the acts of Tim McVeigh?

Every nation has its share of anti-social wackos, but most people throughout the world only want to have a good life for themselves and a good future for their children. Let's deal with the wackos as individuals. If we bomb innocent people indiscriminantly, we too are terrorists.

Thanks Dan for these wise words

Originally posted by Faruk:

Now, someone mentioned war. I wish you never smell it, never see it, never hear it, never spend a second in it. Trust me guys on this one. There is not the worst thing that can happend to you.

About revenge... This crime against innocent people can not be measured and weigheted, can not be described in any way. Sarajevo lost 20,000 innocent children during the war. This is just one unimaginable crime. Adequate retaliation can only be similar crime. Guys, you dont want that, I`m sure.

I love you all, and let God bless this planet and keep our children safe from harm.

Faruk

No one wants war or revenge for that matter. But, what is the solution? Let crazies pummel us without response? Is that even an option? Would anyone in their right minds advocate abdicating our responsibility to protect our wives, children, parents and grandparents. If there is no consequence to the terrorists actions, then what is another viable option? I really would like to know!!!

Albert

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

On a completely different subject:

Dansouth:

It does my heart good to see you here, pal. You had us all worried.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Solution for terorist acts are judicial system and International Court for War Crimes in Hag (Holland).

Keep cool man. Keep cool everybody.

I will not comment any more. This is tragedy. no words are needed.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Since our office is in our house I was able to watch the horror unfold. I saw both buildings collapse live. It was so surreal, unreal. It looked like a demolition job, the 1st fell so perfectly. I felt sick, my heart in throat. My deepest sympathies go out to all Americans.

Currently, 200 planes have been diverted from the Eastern US seaboard to Halifax International Airport. Friends & relatives are taking in the stranded passengers. We are no strangers to air tragedy. SwissAir Flight 111 went down about about 25 miles from us.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by Chris100:

exactly..

This is horrible for every party involved, but it will probably end up in more hatred and racism. I heard a Palestinian taxi driver was dragged out of his cab and beaten because of this attack. People have to remember that this terrorism is not the work of an entire country, it's the work of an extremely small group of people who have obviously been planning and coordinating this attack for a very long time.

You appear to be somehow equating a cab driver getting beaten with the loss of probably tens of thousands of innocent lives...equally horrible? Bullshit.

How do you know this is the act of an extremely small group? Do you know something no one else knows? You seem to have come to a conclusion as to who did this but at the same time accuse jorgerardi of ignorance when he pointed his finger at the same group of people. Any country/government that protects and harbors terrorists is absolutely culpable in this act. Terrorists can't survive and flourish without these safe havens. I pray that America's response is massively brutal and effective against all involved. You don't stop fanatics with an eye for an eye approach. It only creates martyrs and more fanatics. I believe that if they hit us X we should hit them 10 times X. It needs to be done prudently and decisively. The purpose is not revenge, the purpose is to make them understand that this is a war they cannot possibly win.

Renaming an "act of war" an "act of terrorism" is very convenient for the perpetrators. It forces us to go after a few in a surgical manner, while protecting the states that protect and sponsor these subhumans. It allows these small countries to very effectively wage war against the USA, a war which would be over in a few hours if they had the balls to actually declare war on us. They can strike at us randomly, but we must use extreme precision in our response. If these countries won't turn over their terrorists (which they've consistently refused to do) then they are as responsible as if they had used their own military aircraft on our buildings and people. This act is of a magnitude too extreme to play the terrorism game.

I'm sick of those who try rationalize this act. Today, especially, I have no tolerance for the "America is always in the wrong" mentality. So giving aid to Israel is our great sin. You know, there seem to be some groups of people on this planet who love to hate. It permeates their every thought and action. It gets passed on from generation to generation and the world that they live in is in a constant state of war. I'd bet if you'd ask most Americans about the Middle-East they would be neither heavily pro/against either side. They just don't understand why it can't be worked out. They don't believe that any peace deal that gets signed will last. Now if you had told me that a contingent of radicals in Vietnam had done this act, I could more understand it. We inflicted a great deal of pain and suffering on the people of that country. But it seems that with Vietnam, just like most countries that we've been in conflict with, time begins to heal the wounds. But what we're seeing here is quite different. America is to be very deeply hated. American people are directly targeted because their tax dollars support the enemy. We are the great Satan. The only good American is a dead one. So as the Arab world is rejoicing in the streets tonight, I do believe the hatred is spreading.

Busch

Originally posted by burningbusch:

So as the Arab world is rejoicing in the streets tonight, I do believe the hatred is spreading.

I cannot begin to understand how any human being can rejoice over the suffering of others, especially people who were just going about their daily business. I suppose it's one thing if brutal soldiers attacking you and your family are killed - I think I could understand a bit of satisfaction on their deaths. But soldiers didn't die today - innocent men, women and children died. People in the Middle East danced in the streets joyfully over this. Shopkeepers gave away free cakes and sweets.

I find this horrible in the extreme.

I don't care what perceived wrongs may or may not have been done to these people. Celebrating the cowardly murder of innocent people is barbaric, inhuman and despicable. Period.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

You appear to be somehow equating a cab driver getting beaten with the loss of probably tens of thousands of innocent lives...equally horrible? Bullshit.

-I never once equated the two events, I was stating the ignorance involved in a random act of violence against someone who had nothing to do with this attack. Did you actually read my statement? Or do you make complete assumptions based on the first sentence of every paragraph you see.

How do you know this is the act of an extremely small group? Do you know something no one else knows?

-In terms of the population of an entire nation, an extremely small number of people are responsible for this. I don't think every single citizen of the attacker's country of origin was involved in the planning of this attack, do you?

Any country/government that protects and harbors terrorists is absolutely culpable in this act.

-How do you know the country/government is involved or harboring the terrorists? More assumptions...

Renaming an "act of war" an "act of terrorism" is very convenient for the perpetrators.

-If these events were not "acts of terrorism" then what the hell were they? War, terror, call it whatever you want; there isn't a lesser of two evils to chose from here.

I'm sick of those who try rationalize this act. Today, especially, I have no tolerance for the "America is always in the wrong" mentality. So giving aid to Israel is our great sin.

-America is not always wrong, America's government is quick to interfere in international relations when it has no right to do so.

You know, there seem to be some groups of people on this planet who love to hate.

-True, but there is still no clear good guy vs. bad guy when it comes to international affairs. This brutal attack obviously shouldn't have happened, but the reasoning behind it has to be more complex than something like "I hate America." This is ultimately the product of thousands of decisions by thousands of different people.

Now if you had told me that a contingent of radicals in Vietnam had done this act, I could more understand it. We inflicted a great deal of pain and suffering on the people of that country.

-Well apparantly a great deal of pain and suffering has been inflicted on another country, be it directly or indirectly. This "group" felt strongly enough to launch this type of attack and sacrafice themselves and thousands of innocents in the process. Something is obviously not right.

Whether radicals in Vietnam did this or not, what's done is done.

But it seems that with Vietnam, just like most countries that we've been in conflict with, time begins to heal the wounds.

-Some wounds never heal.

But what we're seeing here is quite different. America is to be very deeply hated. American people are directly targeted because their tax dollars support the enemy. We are the great Satan. The only good American is a dead one. So as the Arab world is rejoicing in the streets tonight, I do believe the hatred is spreading.

-Yes, their hatred of the western world is spreading, as is the western world's hatred of them. And the images of them celebrating in the streets haven't helped any.

How do you know this is the act of an extremely small group? Do you know something no one else knows?

-In terms of the population of an entire nation, an extremely small number of people are responsible for this. I don't think every single citizen of the attacker's country of origin was involved in the planning of this attack, do you?

Any country/government that protects and harbors terrorists is absolutely culpable in this act.

-How do you know the country/government is involved or harboring the terrorists? More assumptions...

My only comment regarding these two remarks is if the government is harboring the terrorists, and the people support their government being fully aware of it's support of terrorism, they're equally guilty in my book. Anyone who supports a goverment that backs terrorism indirectly supports terrorism. And that dancing in the street shit didn't help either - makes me want to knock them down to a 4th world nation...

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I cannot begin to understand how any human being can rejoice over the suffering of others ...

It's really sad because there are so many conflicts like this. There's the Palestinians and the Israelis, the IRA and the British, the Serbs and the Croats. And the solution for both parties just never seems to materialize http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif it's always just out of reach, and then innocent people get hurt when they get in the way http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Dave,

It's a despicable act, but unfortunately, I can also see why something like this would happen.

Somebody feels like we are attacking their way of life and they've gotten to the point where they're desperate. Unable to confront the United States or the western world directly because of our military and economic strength, unable to use diplomatic channels for a hundred reasons, they have turned to terrorism to strike back.

No it's not right, and yes it's evil, but as someone pointed out, some of the blame lies at home http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

I'm not surprised there are Palestinians rejoicing in the streets, how many times has the US turned it's back on them and supported Israel no matter how despicable the act? How many times do you think Palestinians have sat at home feeling exactly the same way you do now, about Americans?

And I think that's the saddest part of it all http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

Originally posted by makalei@ij.net:

violence is an ignorant man's way of seeking peace

Sometimes only violence will do. Call me ignorant if you will. Gandhi was great. He got shot dead.

We have a responsibility to protect our citizenry. That means taking a firm stand. We can't reason with these people. We can't give them a "time out". Only in your idealistic mind will that work. If you wish to be a martyr, fine...but don't impose that on your family as well.

Neville Chamberlain tried to appease Hitler in the 30s. "Oh, be nice, give him what he wants, he'll be a good boy". Sorry. Hitler was a bully. Bullies don't respond to "time outs", they take advantage of them as a sign of weakness. They are quite simply predators. And they must be dealt with in kind. Go about your pacifist stand. Don't complain to me when you watch your wife be raped, your children shot by invading forces.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by mwisniewski:

I'm not surprised there are Palestinians rejoicing in the streets, how many times has the US turned it's back on them and supported Israel no matter how despicable the act?

When did the people in the WTC or in the airplanes who died today turn their backs and support Israel? Do innocent people deserve to die because of something that their government did? Are you saying that we're all guilty because we live in the US? I don't buy that for a second.

I'm sorry - I still don't think there's any excuse whatsoever to celebrate the murder of innocent people. No one "got what was coming to them" today. No justice was served. Those people on board those planes were used as a weapon, and to celebrate their deaths is just beyond my comprehension.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

How do you know this is the act of an extremely small group?

How do you know ANYTHING until you get the facts straight?

It needs to be done prudently and decisively.

Agreed.

The purpose is not revenge, the purpose is to make them understand that this is a war they cannot possibly win.

Like we made Viet Nam understand? You make a big assumption when you propose that we can "make them understand" by a strong show of force. That's like trying to make someone understand that they're a lousy driver by giving them the finger. Believe me, the "lesson" is not going to be effective.

So what if you bomb (pick a country) off the face of the earth? Do you think the terrorists are going to say, "Oh, boy! We made a big mistake! We'd better not kill any more people. America's really mad at us, now!" It doesn't work like that. We're not scolding school children for shooting paper wads. Massive air strikes just galvanize our enemies against us.

You know, there seem to be some groups of people on this planet who love to hate. It permeates their every thought and action. It gets passed on from generation to generation and the world that they live in is in a constant state of war.

And they're usually hard liners.

America is to be very deeply hated. American people are directly targeted because their tax dollars support the enemy. We are the great Satan.

Only to the extremists, by definition a small contingent of any population. Besides, if hate is a crime, might you include yourself among its perpetrators?

So as the Arab world is rejoicing in the streets tonight, I do believe the hatred is spreading.

Do you know how many Arabs live and work in New York? I'm willing to bet that at least two thousand people of Arab descent were in the WTC at the time of the attack. Thousands more work downtown. Arabs were killed and injured today. They were buried under clouds of ash and glass as they fled their offices with the rest of the Wall Street crowd. Arab street vendors would have had no protection from the falling glass, and believe me, there are a bunch of them working in the area.

What leads you to believe that this is an Arab issue? What about the Arabs who are Christians? What about that vast majority of respectful, peace loving Arab Moslems who just want a promising career and a safe place to raise their families? These people aren't celebrating. If anything, they're bracing for the irrational hatred that these events will focus upon them.

This "Arab world rejoicing in the streets" comment is totally unfounded. You're reacting to a stereotype, not to fact.

Mayor Giuliani said it best: "Hatred and prejudice caused this tragedy. They will not resolve it."

Dan, first I'm deeply sorry that you probably lost friends and co-workers today. I can't imagine what you're feeling right now. We probably disagree with regards to the severity of the action that this demands. I believe an extreme response is warranted and believe it will do more to stop future attacks on America. I am not feeling hatred toward whomever did this. Anger yes, but not hatred. I don't have a concept of hating someone or a people I don't know. For me, hate, like love is personal. All I want to see is that this end quickly with as few American lives lost as possible. Our attacks against Kadafi and Hussein did help to contain their future actions, eventhough they're both still around. But the severity of the attacks today are unparalled in our country's history. I believe a measured response will only embolden them.

In retrospect my comments regarding the Arab world were reactionary. I saw the video of the dancing in the streets and was sickened by it. But that certainly wasn't the Arab world, only a small number of people. You're right, probably the vast number of Arabs are against what happened today. And if that's true, then I would expect the Arab nations to stand down when we unleash our might on this vermon.

Busch.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Are you saying that we're all guilty because we live in the US? I don't buy that for a second.

No Dave, I was trying to point out, that even though you disagree with those that were celebrating, that we aren't all that different from them. They are us, after years of having to endure what we saw today, against desperate odds, against an enemy that threatens they're way of life. Just like this terrorist act did today for us.

And I think it's sad, that we can't see through each other's eyes, that we're in the same boat, so instead we are enemies http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif

This message has been edited by mwisniewski on 09-12-2001 at 12:11 AM

Originally posted by joegerardi:

OK. I'll state this and then let it rest. Reply as much as you want, I will not respond to this again.

I am a VERY conservative Republican. That's because what I REALLY am is a Libertarian Constitutionalist, but that type of candidate will never get into office. I support guns for private citizens, less government intrusion in our lives, and personal and individual responsibility for our actions.

Joe I am a VERY liberal democrat and I back your view 100% Everyone I know is livid about this. Everyone I know believes this is an act of war. Everyone I know wants TOTAL US military action, not a "lets find the small group of extremist and punish them" attribute. Nothing less than a total declaration of war on all countries that actively support and harbor terrorists will be accepted. It may be world war III or USA vs middle east. What ever. War is war. I pray for everyone, however a peaceful resolution is out of the question.

Heeeeeere kitty kitty kitty

Bill,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I think we're closer on this issue than was originally apparent. I, too, believe that a strong response is mandated, perhaps a stronger one than our polite American laws would sanction. Just as long as that response is not a slaughter of innocents. That kind of action just gives the enemy more power, more reasons to hate America, and more reasons to kill innocent people. My life is here in the New York area. I don't want to see acts perpetrated that will inspire future terrorist attacks.

Right now I'd settle for an explanation of how these guys walked into four airports and selected the exact planes that they wanted to hijack. That's the thing that's been driving my crazy all day. What the hell good are those security checkpoints if someone can get away with something like this? Are more wackos going to crash more planes into more landmarks tomorrow? This never should have been able to happen. We were caught with our pants down, and it's infuriating.

Peace,

Dan

Now if you had told me that a contingent of radicals in Vietnam had done this act, I could more understand it. We inflicted a great deal of pain and suffering on the people of that country.

-Well apparantly a great deal of pain and suffering has been inflicted on another country, be it directly or indirectly. This "group" felt strongly enough to launch this type of attack and sacrafice themselves and thousands of innocents in the process. Something is obviously not right.

Whether radicals in Vietnam did this or not, what's done is done.

I'm not going to respond to your other stuff. I said my peace. But this is exactly what I mean about America is always wrong. What did we do that caused this incredible pain and suffering? Let's say it turns out to be Osama bin Laden (big stretch I know). Yes that poor suffering man, worth an estimated $100 million. Who was educated in the West, but then turned to extreme fundamentalism. Passionately hates America and uses his money to wage this war against the West and hides behind the Afghanistans Taliban government. Maybe, just maybe, we're dealing with someone with a psychotic hatred of America and Americans, like Hilter hated the Jews. Maybe, just maybe, the American people haven't inflicted a great deal of pain and suffering on him or his people. Maybe those people who died today are truly innocent. I think you should at least entertain the possibility.

Busch.

You know it should be interesting to hear what types of measures they come up with.

I'm sure the domestic security checks will be upgraded to the international security checks which are more robust.

I've already heard some suggestions for completely securing the pilots from the rest of the airplane, military style.

And then I heard another one calling for an airplane police force, there'd be a police officer on every flight.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Bill,

Right now I'd settle for an explanation of how these guys walked into four airports and selected the exact planes that they wanted to hijack. That's the thing that's been driving my crazy all day. What the hell good are those security checkpoints if someone can get away with something like this? Are more wackos going to crash more planes into more landmarks tomorrow? This never should have been able to happen. We were caught with our pants down, and it's infuriating.

Peace,

Dan

You're right, airport security is pathetic. They supposedly did at least some of this using small knives and razor blade cutting tools. But I believe we will be making a huge mistake if we focus on planes and airport security exclusively. As someone pointed out on one of the newscasts, no one has used civilian jets as bombs before. This was very imaginative, very bold. We would be greatly underestimating our enemy if we assume the next attacks will be the same. One of the aims of terrorism is to disrupt all aspects of normal life. As much as our leaders say that they didn't destroy freedom in America today, they did succeed in damaging it quite severely, at least for the foreseeable future. Wherever Americans congregate in numbers, they are now potential targets.

I have a very sick feeling about all this. What kind of biological and/or nuclear weapons can a person worth $100 millon buy?

You know something twisted. That guy who killed those people in Sacramento said in his videotape that it would probably get him a week's worth of prime media coverage. Boy did he pick the wrong week. No one will ever convince me otherwise, there is pure evil in this world.

Busch.

What did we do that caused this incredible pain and suffering? Let's say it turns out to be Osama bin Laden (big stretch I know). Yes that poor suffering man, worth an estimated $100 million. Who was educated in the West, but then turned to extreme fundamentalism. Passionately hates America and uses his money to wage this war against the West and hides behind the Afghanistans Taliban government.

Well, according to the BBC, we helped create the monster in the process of fighting another monster.... or at least the CIA did. Or if they didn't create the monster they helped nourished him. Now he is dangerous to us:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_155000/155236.stm

Regards,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Too true

A heap of countries back these terrorists and then (quite rightly) get very upset when their own population is affected.

There are a huge number of examples of this (US backing Iraq against Iran for years, then suddenly Iraq is the enemy)

But obviously such political discussions are moot this early on - as a nurse I feel for all the rescue and medical teams.

------------------

www.mp3.com/thirdstoreystory

Originally posted by nursers:

But obviously such political discussions are moot this early on - as a nurse I feel for all the rescue and medical teams.

You are so right. I thought I'd add... I am not trying to make any kinds of point with that, busch.... Just seemed like another grim irony.

On a more positive note....

Some people have waited 6 hours to give blood. People here in Dallas are doing vigils and prayer meetings. People all over this country are rushing in to help. I personally know of a doctor couple who will be spending the next couple of weeks living in Manhattan caring for the wounded, while letting family members take care of their infant. I have lived big chunks of my life in three countries and the kind heart of the American people is amazing to me. What a great people.

Regards,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Isn't the killing of thousands of innocent people what we're upset about?

I want to find those responsible and stop them from ever doing this again, but I sure as hell don't want to nuke everyone who happens to be in their vicinity!

We can either stand for justice or we can become just like those we hate...

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived