Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sound Card Help

joegerardi

OK, suppose I want to get a sound card to use with soft synths. Bearing in mind that I want to reduce latency to a minimum, what are your suggestions for a card, if we ignore the SoundBlaster line of cards?

Give me some ideas here. The reason I'm excluding the SB line is because I know about them, but not what else out there is top O'the line.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe, there are many many options. Say a little more about what you want to do with it and I can make some specific recommendations:

Do you need multiple ins and outs or is a good stereo card sufficient?

Connectivity: digital I/O, ADAT, midi? Which if any do you need on the card?

PC, I assume.

Off the top of my head, the MAUdio Audiophile is probably the best stereo card in the cheaper range (under 200) with Midi I/O, I believe. The only caution there is that it has notorious latency problems with the Soft Synth Reality. Otherwise, their stuff works great with gigasampler (I have the Delta 1010). Up the ladder a bit, the LynxOne is a terrific all around card. They run under 5 but over 4 (pretty hefty for a stereo card).

So, yes, talk a bit more about what you want to do with it.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Magpel:

MIDI connectivity only, with speaker outs.

Basically a PC soundcard, that kicks ass in terms of softsynths (I'm thinking the B4 here) and keeps latency to an absolute minimum. I'm a real time-sensitive person, and that latency would drive me NUTS!

I am currently using my momboard-based soundchip, and the B4 demo runs at 400 MS latency, so I want to find something thet kicks.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by joegerardi:

Magpel:

MIDI connectivity only, with speaker outs.

Basically a PC soundcard, that kicks ass in terms of softsynths (I'm thinking the B4 here) and keeps latency to an absolute minimum. I'm a real time-sensitive person, and that latency would drive me NUTS!

I am currently using my momboard-based soundchip, and the B4 demo runs at 400 MS latency, so I want to find something thet kicks.

Right. Latency sucks if you want to feel what you play. Your answer, then, is any good sound card that supports ASIO -- the optimal drivers for the B4 and the other NI synths--if you're rnning Win 95 or 98. If you're running W2K, the WDM drivers and driect X 8a are aparently quite good with latency. Some of the cats over a Prorec.com forum (a very rich resource for issues like this) are claiming sub 3ms softsynth latency with Win2K and WDM drivers. I'd still say the Audiophile looks like a god card for you, but I'd drop your specific question over at Prorec -- best card/OS/drivers for B4 latency?

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived