Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil V.A.S.T. and KDFX Questions

aeon

I have a couple of questions regarding the Kurzweil in general and KDFX in particular.

How do the effects algorithms in the KDFX compare in terms of quality when compared with dedicated effects units? My reference point for effects boxes would include the t.c. M3000 and FireworX, Lexicon PCM-81, NuVerb and MPX500, and a Sony DPS-V77. I would not expect the reverb to match external units, but how is the 'verb? Is the sound such that it can be used direct in a mix with no apology? Do the KDFX algos have a character of their own that is distinctive? Is the KDFX worth it to you?

Also, how do you feel about the filters in the DSP blocks in V.A.S.T? Do they have a particular character in terms of being clinical, or raw, or digital, or such? My reference for digital filter implementations similar to those in V.A.S.T. would include the Roland JD-990, Yamaha SY99, Nord Modular, Waldorf Q and Access Virus. I have heard that Kurz's implementation shows its age somewhat in that they belie their early 90s heritage. Is this so? Do the filters differ between the K2000 and K2500/2600?

I have never owned a Kurzweil, but I think I am about to lose my Kurz cherry, so some feedback would be most appreciated. I have downloaded the manuals and it looks to be a programmer's playground. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Go tell someone you love that you love them.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I have heard that the KDFX unit is excellent and will stand with the best of them quite well, I have never used it so I can't comment.

As far as the VAST filters, there are a whole bunch of them from which to choose...17, IIRC - selections vary depending on which of the algorithms you select.

I think that they are quite good, and they do not sound dated to my ear at all. Some of them have a distinctive sound, but there are enough of them that you can probably find a few that will really crank your prop.

Plus, you have very exact control over them - their coarse tuning values are displayed in note numbers/mHz and their fine tune values in cents, as opposed to the more common stone knife 0-99 values that have no basis in anything.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I am a big fan of VAST though I don't have a Kurz machine. Most of the dsp processes seem very musical and of good quality to me. Including the filters.....

I thought I would point out that one of the diferences between the K2500 and the K2600 (in addition to triple mode and KDFX) is that 48 db of resonance is available on the filters (instead of 24).

I believe they implemented this on the K2600 to keep pace with the virtual analog synths (VAs) and enable some more 'current' va-ish sounds.

Regards,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

I find it strange, too, that nobody is responding... I'm sure there are a few people with KDFX here! Well, I have a Kurz with NO KDFX as well, but since I've worked with it a couple of times, I'll tell you my opinion.

KDFX, as you may know, is a "block-oriented" multi-effect; the more "blocks" you use, the more processing power you have. For my money, the reverbs and delays on the highest levels (those that use the most processing power) are on par with the high-end Lexicons and TCs. However, you could also use KDFX to have many different effects to assign to various tracks/channels/outputs, and in this case you have to choose the lesser-quality ones. They also sound very good, mind you; it really depends on your way of working.

But there's another interesting aspect of KDFX: It also has filters, ring modulators, pitch-shifters, and every sort of stuff that you can attach to a particular sound: I mean, it becomes part of the synthesis channel. This is way cool.

The VAST filters are very good, and the new, cleaner outputs of the 2600 make them shine. IMO, they are still not as smooth as some VAs or softsynths, so if it's a 'pure' analog sound you're after, try it before committing. But they more than compensate for it with the incredible variety of DSP they offer, and with the precise control you can have over their modulation.

Hope this helps

marino

How about their dedicated effects unit, the KSP-8 ? Is that even shipping yet? If so, anyone try it?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

How about their dedicated effects unit, the KSP-8 ? Is that even shipping yet? If so, anyone try it?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

We will be showing it in two weeks at AES and should begin shipping it in October.

------------------

Mike Martin

Kurzweil Music Systems

http://www.kurzweilconneciton.com

KeySolutions Sample Libraries

http://members.aol.com/keysolutns

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Archived