Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steven St Croix lets loose his views on autotune and modern recording.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I remember correctly, I think Steven St. Croix slammed DCC tapes (remember those?) [i]reaaaaaaally[/i] hard for their lousy audio specs when manufacturers were trying to get marketplace acceptance of the format. I don't know if his rant had anything to do with the demise of DCC among audio engineers, but from what I remember, DCCs started losing the battle of being accepted as a new technology after his column slammed them. Unfortunately, he's a couple years too late to help influence the demise of Autotune... :( It's too entrenched, and it's not going away because it can make non-singers sound like they can sing and the public doesn't care... Hey, did anyone out there see Spy Kids 2? The absolute best joke in the movie was during the end credits: They had a concert stage set up, and a guy backstage tells the girl Spy Kid (forgot her name) that she's got to go onstage and sing. She responds, "But I can't sing!" and the backstage guy says, "Well, who [i]can[/i] nowadays! Here -- put on this special microphone and you will be able to sing just like [i]Britney Lopez![/i]" Then she goes out on stage and does a totally Autotuned vocal performance... Funny stuff.

I would tend to doubt that he had much influence over the demise of DCC. Is Auto-Tune and modern recording (I take it he doesn't like much of the sound quality or maybe the locked-in looped sound or lots of the plug-ins?) considered controversial? I didn't think so. It seems self-evident to me. Think about what music is going to sound like 20 years from now. It will be very distinctive sounding. I wonder what music will be like 20 years from now. Will people get sick of loops and perfectly locked and edited grooves?

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]\ ... Will people get sick of loops and perfectly locked and edited grooves?[/b][/quote]Some people already are. ;) Peace, wraub.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

You know, a couple more steps down the road of this technology and we'll be seeing guitars that can "fix" all your crappy wanking, with the higher end-models featuring auto-pilot and push-button solos. :oP ==================================================== #include

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I use auto-tune to bring a rather primitive (read: "it's not tuneable") into pitch. It's easier than bringing the guitar and synth into tune whenever I add them. But, if I could find this instrument either exactly in key or with some way to adjust it's pitch a bit, I would not use auto-tune because it tends to take out the natural variation of the note's tone. If I were recording vocals and found myself plugging in auto-tune, I'd rather find a new singer to plug-in!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Archived