Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me hook up my keyboard...anyone?

kstrecker

I just got a used Yamaha PSR-620 and need to hook it up to my PC. I have the midi cables (I know "in" goes in "out" and vice versa) and I'm using MusicTime Deluxe software. I can't get the keyboard and program to talk to each other. Do I need a separate midi interface? What settings should I have the midi setup in MusicTime set to? Do I need to set the keyboard to anything specific in order to receive and transmit? Help help help!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kstrecker:

I just got a used Yamaha PSR-620 and need to hook it up to my PC. I have the midi cables (I know "in" goes in "out" and vice versa) and I'm using MusicTime Deluxe software. I can't get the keyboard and program to talk to each other. Do I need a separate midi interface? What settings should I have the midi setup in MusicTime set to? Do I need to set the keyboard to anything specific in order to receive and transmit? Help help help!

What are you hooking up too? A soundcard I assume. Your setup should work fine. Try to give more details, be as specific as you can. I've never heard of this software before. One thing is to make sure you're talking on the same channel (1-16). If you do have a soundblaster (or standard consumer soundcard), make sure the midi settings point to the midi port and not to the soundcard.

This message has been edited by Rod CA on 09-07-2001 at 12:37 PM

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

OK, here goes. My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster 16, and I'm plugging my midi cable into a 15-pin port that says "midi," so I'm pretty sure that part's OK.

In the "Midi Setup" screen of my software, I have "SB16 Midi Out (300)" selected for Port A and Port B, and "SB16 Midi In (300)" selected for Record port and Receive sync port. (The other options I can choose from are "(none)," "Midi Mapper" and "Creative Music Synth (220)," which is what I have to set Port A and B on if I want to hear the music through my computer's speakers.)

When you say to make sure they're talking on the same channel, how do I specify that? My software has a "Staff Sheet" dialog box where I have to specify a different midi channel for each voice I use, so I've got stuff going through A1-A10.

In the "Midi Setup" screen, I have to select one midi channel from a list of 1-16, either A or B, but it also gives an option of "-". Does that mean "all" or "none?"

I hope this sheds a little light on the problem. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out.

Originally posted by kstrecker:

OK, here goes. My sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster 16, and I'm plugging my midi cable into a 15-pin port that says "midi," so I'm pretty sure that part's OK.

OK, so far so good.

In the "Midi Setup" screen of my software, I have "SB16 Midi Out (300)" selected for Port A and Port B, and "SB16 Midi In (300)" selected for Record port and Receive sync port. (The other options I can choose from are "(none)," "Midi Mapper" and "Creative Music Synth (220)," which is what I have to set Port A and B on if I want to hear the music through my computer's speakers.)

This is confusing.. Port A and Port B? Can you elaborate?

When you say to make sure they're talking on the same channel, how do I specify that? My software has a "Staff Sheet" dialog box where I have to specify a different midi channel for each voice I use, so I've got stuff going through A1-A10.

In the "Midi Setup" screen, I have to select one midi channel from a list of 1-16, either A or B, but it also gives an option of "-". Does that mean "all" or "none?"

Well, this is where it gets a bit tricky. Synths usually have to be setup between two modes - one of them allows receiving midi in only one midi channel at the time, and one that allows up to 16. I'm not familiar with the PSR series...

- means none, usually. Try to set everything to channel 1, and try that.

Tough since I'm not familiar with either the sequencer nor the keyboard http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/confused.gif

Does the sofware have a led or something which tells you when midi is being received or sent? That's usually helps diagnose the problem.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived