Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Used keyhboard for a beginning student?

laur

Is it possible to find a good used keyboard? My seven year old son is starting piano lessons. I don't play myself, so I'm trying to sort throught all the imformation on digital pianos (my husband doesn't want an acoustic). I've been told that I need a full sized keyboard with weighted action keys and that I should expect to pay $1000-$1500 for a new one that is good enough for him to learn on. How much could I reduce that cost by getting a used one? Do I need to watch out for outdated technology? Can I get a good used one at a dealer or am I better off looking from an individual? Thanks for any help you could give me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mojosaur:

You can also get a real piano which is a better idea, if it is practical, and you don't mind having it tuned.

I'm not sure that I agree with you, mojo.

Here's a few reasons why an electronic keyboard may actually be a better idea for a beginner:

1) No tuning

2) Doesn't (necessarily) take up as much space

3) Headphone jack!

4) Suppose the kid doesn't take to it - then you've spent a bunch of money and gone through a bunch of effort for a big, unwieldy piece of furniture that you may not want taking up space in your house (of course, I would - I think there should be a piano in every house http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif - but everyone has different needs). I don't think it's as easy to sell a used acoustic piano as it is to sell a used electronic one...or, you can put the electronic one away until later...maybe the kid will change his/her mind. Try that with an acoustic...

5) Here's the big one - more than one sound. If I had had an electronic piano with harpsichord, vibes, ep, strings, etc when I was a kid, I believe that I'd have stayed at the keyboard much longer.

Please keep in mind that I consider myself to be a pianist first and foremost, and I have a grand piano that is my favorite axe. However, for beginners I don't think that it's necessarily the only way to go these days. Once they're hooked, sure - there's no substitute. But until then, I think that it's a mistake to say that if they start on anything other than a real piano that it's just not right. There are many weighted 88 key options these days that do the job just fine.

Just my opinion,

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Actually DB I'll be the first to admit that you are more qualified than I to offer an opinion......having said that, I still think there is something about an acoustic instrument that helps train your ear.....I don't know if its the vibrations of the soundboard or what, but I miss that....

Ok...first...you probably couldn't even find a real acoustic piano used for $1000, and if you could, I wouldn't just go and buy it. If you buy an acoustic piano, it will be for someone who is advancing in music, and has deep interest in piano and thus needs the proper weights and sounds and stuff to "get into it"...or whatever. So, digital for now is the way to go, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few years from now, if he's still with it, that he'll be needing the real thing. I'd say look for a nice, used, digital keyboard that has weighted keys, and if possible, all 88 of those keys. Don't worry about much else, though you may want something with MIDI capabilities for a little fun or something. Also, primarily you will want a keyboard with a good piano sound, and if necessary, only a piano sound. He should hear the sound it makes and get familiar with it, so it has to be good.
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

Assuming that you're talking about learning the *piano*, here's what I usually tell my students on this subject:

If you have the money, the space, and the will, buy a *good* acoustic piano. It's very expensive, but you want a *good* instrument. The connection that you have beetween your gestures and the sound, the dynamic range, the range of pedal control, and the pure pleasure of having the wood resonating in front of you, are simply not there with an electronic keyboard.

If, on the other hand, the choice is beetween an old, battered upright that's difficult to tune and a good digital, then go with the latter.

Originally posted by mwisniewski:

Most digital pianos don't come with built-in speakers.

This is not correct.

The ones that you're thinking of that require extrenal amplification, like the Kurz SP/PC, the Yamaha P80, Roland RD-150 etc. are the vast minority of digital pianos. The majority are things like the industry-leading Yamaha Clavinova series , the Roland CK line , and other machines by Kurzweil , Technics , Casio , Korg and others. They are more generally available at Piano and Organ (P&O) stores, not at Musical Instrument (MI) dealers - that may be why you're confused.

You may be surprised to know that the P&O market is actually quite a bit bigger than the entire combined MI market.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Another to consider is the Alesis QS8 (not the 8.1.) Used, I see them all the time for around $800.00. Factor in another $200.00 or so for an amp, and you're at the grand mark, and not only do you have a great 88-note digital piano, but it comes with 639 other sounds too.

This message has been edited by joegerardi on 09-06-2001 at 06:56 PM

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived