Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which rig do you prefer?

mooghead

Hi to everybody! This is my first post here.

If you played only at gigs (no studio), would you prefer to have:

1- An S80 with piano expansion with on top a Motif7 with analogue expansion

or

2- A GeneralMusic Pro 1 (stage piano) with on top a Roland XP30; and, on the right, a Roland VK7 with on top a Korg MS2000

????

Now I'll explain my needs, my style and my thoughts...

My present rig, apart from the VK7, is very different from these two. Just consider that, for an amateur, is too complicated for live gigging; thus I'm going to sell everything and build again...

-Considering used items, the two options are nearly the same regarding money issues, thus $$$ is not a problem.

-I play cover; rock and "pop" classics. We play out at least once a month and never more often than once a week.

-I know that "less is more",...but when I play I like to use several sounds on each song: normally a piano (Pro1), an organ (VK7), a lead (MS2000) and something different for each song like a mellotron, brass, strings,...(XP30),...but that could be done with the other the Yammys also.

-We seldom improvise, maybe a blues or something more jazzy but that's usual at gigs, more at rehersals...

-I hate to program patches and performances (or it's just that I'm not good at it?). I prefer hands-on control (a point to the second option?).

-Soundwise,...I think both options would be great and have their advantages.

To sum up.

Option 1: set up at gigs is easier, space on stage and in studio won't be an issue, but I'd have to program every single performance or patch and kill my back to get one of my babies home everynight after rehersals (am I lazy?).

Option 2: set up at gigs is slower, space problems (I can imagine my bandmates...), but everything will be laid out in front of me, much less patch programming and program changes, and I can easily take with me a piece whenever and whereever I want (especially XP30 and MS2000, less for Pro1 and VK7).

I'm waiting with "anxiety" for your considerations and suggestions.

You're a great bunch, thank you all in advance...

Ciao,

Andrea.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither.

I wouldn't have a motif and an s80. From what I understand the motif's sample ROM is a superset of the s80, so not only you *may* have some redundancy, but I typically like to mix and match manufacturers as well. I would get the motif with the analog expansion + the piano expansion (maybe you don't need the 2nd) and go for a set of keys from another manufacturer, maybe the xp30.

It seems a bit confusing that you're willing to 'give up' the VK7. I'm assuming you don't need the drawbars, you just need a good b3 sound. You can always go for a 'rackmount b3. Do you need the knobs in the ms2000 for real time use during a concert?

I'm all up for keeping it simple. If you take the time to set it up right you typically *shouldn't* need more than 2-3 keyboards.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I'm with Rod on this one with just a few additional comments. As for the B3 sound, the Motif's is pretty good. I recall reading on either harmony-central or motifator.com that some guy gave up his VK-7 since the Motif's B3 was that good. As for the XP-30, you might want to wait for the Roland Fantom since it's got the updated XV sound engine and can accept the much better SRX expansion cards. I haven't heard the Yamaha's piano expansion card but Roland's SRX piano card is pretty good in my opinion (warning, I'm a guitar player so what do I know?). The Fantom also has a better rhythm generator/arpeggiator and and "always on" sequencer the Ensoniq's ZR-76 that everyone seems to love... Good luck!

I wouldn't give up the VK-7 or the MS2000. Both are pretty good specialty boards & both are fairly current. Once they're gone their gone & you'll take a big loss on both of them. I never did like the Pro-1 piano sound & seems to me it was big & heavy. Does it have very good acoustic sounds? If not, it seems like this is the one to go & replace it with one of the Yamaha boards, which I'm sure will give the good sounds you won't have to edit.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

I've been considering some of the same things as you. I like the S80 as a main board for Piano/Electric Piano orchestral stuff, but the piano style action which (to me) is essential for piano/elec piano is a PITA for organ and synth stuff. Currently, I have a Kurz PC88 and I have been borrowing an Alesis QS6. I am ready to upgrade all around. The PC88 has been unreliable and the QS6 is not mine and the owner won't sell it. I also have too much overlap/redundancy in sounds between the 2 boards. I am primarily a Piano/Elec Piano and organ player - not much of a lead synth/Jordan Rudess type, so I would give up killer synth features for better piano and organ sounds and feel. I used to have a Hammond A-105, but I sold it 'cause I didn't have the space for it and it was too big to lug around. I would love to get back the sound and feel of the Hammond without the size and weight. What I am considering is one of the following 2 setups that both feature only 2 keyboards. Both of these feature the Yamaha S80 because I really like this board.

Option 1.

Yamaha S80 - for Piano, Elect Piano and orchestral pads & stuff.

Nord Lead II - for lead synth + synth action controller. (I can't afford $3K for an Andromeda and I don't have the talent to really justify it).

Voce V5 - draw bar organ module - using Nord as controller.

Pros:

- minimal 2 keyboard setup.

- Voce V5 has excellent Hammond organ sounds. Need Voce Spin II Leslie simulator for true authenticity.

- very flexible setup.

Cons:

- Some patching required to use Nord as Midi controller for Voce V5.

- Synth keyboard for organ.

Option 2.

- Yamaha S80 - same applications as above.

- Hammond XK-2 B3 emulator.

Pros:

- minimal 2 Keyboard setup.

- true B3 style square front keys.

- Very good organ sounds.

- cheaper of the 2 options - around $2900.

Cons:

- either use weighted action keyboard for lead synth or use Xk-2 as controller for S80 synth sounds.

- no mod wheel, pitch bend etc.

- Not as flexible, but optimized for about 95% of what I do.

My options may change as I get closer to buying, I still need to convince my wife that this is more important than new windows.

Don.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

I'll start with a huge "grazie" to all.

I think your consideration are correct. I should try to make everything with 2-3 boards, but...is there anything better than feeling your power over 4 boards, don't know if u know what I mean...

Anyway you're probably right, better a 2 boards rig...

What do you think of Motif7 (maybe with AN, VL exp.) and RD700 (still expandable with Piano and Session) ?

That would be mixing different manufacturers' sound, even if I must admit in a way I'd prefer two boards from the same company or even with the same sound structure (as S80 and Motif) since this way you can know very deeply that way of thinkin',...every parameter is called with the same name, is usually in the same position, effects are similar, much more possibilities to delve into the possibilities of the boards.

Thank you all,

ciao,

Andrea

I think your consideration are correct. I should try to make everything with 2-3 boards, but...is there anything better than feeling your power over 4 boards, don't know if u know what I mean...

What do you think of Motif7 (maybe with AN, VL exp.) and RD700 (still expandable with Piano and Session) ?

That would be mixing different manufacturers' sound, even if I must admit in a way I'd prefer two boards from the same company or even with the same sound structure (as S80 and Motif) since this way you can know very deeply that way of thinkin',...every parameter is called with the same name, is usually in the same position, effects are similar, much more possibilities to delve into the possibilities of the boards.

Thank you all,

ciao,

Andrea

Thank you all,

ciao,

Andrea

Archived