Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

b and #-blues scale fingerings

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no single "blues scale".....but there are are variety of blues scales most of which include a flat third and flat fifth and and a flat seventh, as derived from a major scale. On of them is cited on the web site that was listed in the previous post. Just as there is no single blues scale, there is no exact fingering.....it depends on the size of your hands and the feel that you are comfortable with.

Get something simple and play it over and over till you understand how it works musically-- thats the only way to start.

This message has been edited by mojosaur on 09-05-2001 at 04:52 PM

I assume you intend the following blues scale:

C, Eb, F, F#, G, Bb, ©

Almost all the transpositions of this scale can be played with a choice of 1 or 2 passings of the thumb.

Among the "1 passing", here's a simple fingering for the right hand that can work for this blues scale on Bb and Eb:

1 2 3 1 2 3 1....

That's it. Once you get used to passing the thumb beetween two black keys (not usual, but not difficult either) it can become natural; also try it on the Ab blues scale.

The C# and F# scale work best for me with a "2 passings" fingering; try different combinations.

If you happen to be a relative beginner, also remember:

Playing a blues scale step-by-step usually doesn't sound good. Try to *visualize* the whole scale on the keyboard, and to create phrases by selecting different intervals and rhythms, and with a certain use of repetition.

hope this helps

marino

That's funny!

I posed this very same question in another forum and I got some replies but nobody told me exactly what I wanted to hear.

I sort of do it like this in the key of C ( for two octaves );

C Eb F F# G Bb C E F F# G Bb C

1 3 1 2 3 4 1 3 1 2 3 4 5 and down as I came up.

The keys of D,E,G,A don't seem too difficult.

Now, could someone enlighten us on the keys of;

Bb, Ab, Gb, Eb, Db.

It's sort of weird using the thumb on black keys or passing the finger 2 over 3 when going up.

Many thanks.

Euclides.

For C# you could try this:

2 1 2 3 4 1 3 1 2 3 4 1 3

(3) (2)

F#... mmm, I'm afraid there's not a really comfortable one. The one I gave for C# could work. Or try this:

2 4 1 2 3 1 2 4 1 2 3 1 3

I find this one good for going up, a bit less to get down.

Hope this helps

marino

Archived