Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Work That Audience!

What do you do to fire up an audience? How many of the following clichés have you resorted to? • "Are you ready to rock 'n roll?" • "Somebody scream!" • "Everybody put your hands together!" • "Let me hear you say yeah!" ([i]Yeah![/i]) ... "Let me hear you say hell yeah!" ([i]Hell yeah![/i]) • "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire..." :D How do you keep 'em screaming for more? Live musicians post below!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "Hell Yeah!" thing works really well on biker rooms/parties. Haven't tried the others. Suspect that "Are you ready to rock?" is as dead as Elvis. Boy, a good entertainer with a witty stage banter is a real find. I've seen some that could pull it off. And others, that just fell flat.

reverse psychology can be funny, but it has to be the right crowd-college bars are good- `are you ready to talk to your friends and ignore the band...?` `the volume knob fell off my amp so cover your ears...` `Hi we`re (name) and we`ll be your band tonight. The house special is-LOUD!

[quote]Originally posted by JLsound: [b]How about: The more you drink, the better we sound :thu: [/b][/quote]Yeah, we've used that one! We've never used any of the ones mentioned by soapbox, except a couple of times we've said "Are you ready to ROCK" as a joke! I don't THINK anyone thought we were serious... at least I hope not... :D

I'm very sarcastic to try to shock the audience into paying attention....I'll tell them all sorts of freakish things..I like to say Great to be with you, we are Bruce Springsteen and the E. St. Band, or some other famous Act..I like to say Thank You Very Little after playing to little reaction...I always tell them that this is an original song, and i'll launch into some hideously popular hit.....I tell them it's alright that they didn't clap because since they have never seen us on VH1 or American Idol, we must suck.....Basicly i like to taunt the audience because for the most part they are a bunch of drunk idiots.. :)

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

My cover band's name is [url=http://loadedtheband.com]"Loaded"[/url] , so sometime during the night, one of us will yell "We're Loaded, are you?". Goes over well enough. I've used "The more you drink, the better we sound", too, although I'm starting to think it's becoming over used so I try not to say it any more. What didn't go over well was an intro I did before playing "Stuck in the Middle With You". I said something like "Time to take out your knife and approach your captive". Even the band members didn't get it and asked me later what the heck I was talking about! It was in reference to the part of the movie "Reservoir Dogs" that the song is playing. Apparently, too Dennis Miller.

aka riffing

Double Post music: Strip Down

http://rimspeed.com

http://loadedtheband.com

[I would never be able to say any of those things with a straight face. I occasionally will chime in with a joke spontaneously, a one-liner, usually riffing off an occurrence, something someone said, that kind of thing. We usually give a quick one-sentence explanation about what the next song is about, do a rather odd sounding "Stranglehold" cover (our band has a female singer and we play groovy atmospheric rock, so we're pretty different from Nugent), and just try and have a good time. Maybe if some of you show up for one of gigs at some point, I can spout cliches just for you.

Lately my partner and me have been trying to out do each other insult-wise. The crowd seems to like this stupid stuff. He got me good the other night when he said, 'Folks, I apologize Matt's mom couldn't make it tonight; she's having her genital warts removed. :o Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

There's a punk band in town- the lead singer will spend about 20 minutes before going on, just watching the crowd. Sizing them up. Looking for relationships, weaknesses, buttons to push. Onstage, he uses it. The last 2 shows I've seen, they didn't last 20 minutes into it before fights start or something gets broken that end up with their set ending. I should mention that they're really capable, appear fairly sober, and can really whip the crowd into a fervor.

[quote]Originally posted by the people of Earth: [b]We're always partial to that "Hello,(name wrong city) !" joke.[/b][/quote]Believe it or not, the King of Sweden unintentionally did that "dear citizens of (name wrong city)" thing when he held a speech in a city that was celebrating it's 700 (or so) years anniversary. The town square was really crowded and of course it was broadcasted.. :thu: /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived