Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Time puts a new perspective on music...

Have you ever gone back and listened to a CD that you bought and weren't particularly fond of, and discovered that it's pretty damned good. When "Sowing the Seeds of Love" Came out, I had waited so long for and it, and it was such a departure from "Big Chair", I pretty much hated it. I found it this week end (cleaning out some stuff) and have been listening to it all week. It's really cool. Francois

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool. I love Tears for Fears, but I only have "The Hurting" and "Songs from the Big Chair." I didn't really dig that song "Sowing the Seeds of Love" when it was new, but, maybe you're right. I should go find a used copy of that record. Didn't Roland's partner-in-crime quit the band before making that album? I guess that's part of the reason I was biased against that record when it came out. It seemed more like a solo effort, but there's nothing wrong with that. I think it [i]is[/i] odd how I can write off a new record by an artist I dig, then years later decide that I like it! Funny... BTW, I do think their first two records are amazing works of pop art. "The Hurting" is quite depressing, but in a profound and powerful way. It is simply great music.

I can't remember that happening to me. When I pick up old music, I find I feel pretty much the same as I did the first time (good or bad). Maybe sometimes I'm more amazed at the good stuff... FWIW, I love the song "Sowing" as much as it's father "I Am The Walrus". Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I really get a kick out of playing music I haven't heard for a long time... on newer and much better sounding gear. It might be my age, but keep hearing things in the music that I don't recall hearing before. I attribute it to a combination of my lesser-trained ears, and the better gear. Then, there are those tunes I pull up and wonder why I even put my time into playing them... Then, there are the opposites.

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

I'm more the reverse, I have lots of albums I loved at the time which I really dislike now - I was a Phil Collins fan when I was a teenager, what was I thinking?!?! :eek: After that I got into less mainstream music and found 'my' music, and I still love most of the stuff I got into after the inexplicable Collins stage. From jazz to indie to electronic to folk to classical, it still gets played and I buy new releases buy these artists as well as new stuff.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I had a hard time listening to "A Love Supreme" when I was in 8th grade. I thought it was okay. I listened to it again when I was 18 or 19. Whole new perspective. I was ready to fully appreciate the beauty and spirituality of that work when I was older, plus my tastes had widened considerably. I disliked most disco back in the day. For whatever reason, it sounds really fresh and fun and invigorating now. I also had a hard time in high school and even most of college listening to field recordings of international music (say, tribes of Ghana or whatever). Especially the raw-sounding recordings. The raw sound quality kinda put me off. Now, I love a lot of the stuff. The one exception to this was Javanese gamelan music, which I've absolutely loved since I was in high school. That music is magical to me. As I've gotten older, my tastes have cotinued to widen more and more, although my tastes become more discerning. The net result is a LOT of really great music, both new and old, and a whole lot more great listening experiences. I find myself getting really enthusiastic about a lot of new things, and I'm purchasing more CDs than I ever have before.

Yes definately. I've bought CDs before, listened to them a few times, then shelved them for 5 years in some cases. Some stuff just comes off as "ok" on my first few rounds of listening. Oddly, this is more the norm than the exception for me. Then sometime later, i might get some unassuming little bit of some song stuck in my head, and after a while i'll dig the CD out. Sometimes i end up totally loving the cd afterwards. Funny you mention this, I gave my copies of both King Crimson's "Court of the Crimson King" and Wishbone Ash's "Argus" to my dad several years ago, and now recently i wish i had them back :oP I could list a ton of CDs i've done this with. ================================================== #include blah.h

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Hah! I've done all the above! One time while just too stoned for my own good, I was listening to a song at my brother-in-law's. Man, I just HAD to have it. Can't recall the name now, but it was something by Uriah Heep. I went out the next day, bought the album, sped home and put it on. Luckily, I was able to find someone who bought that piece of shit off me. Gawd! It was AWFUL! But, me and a friend were talking about sort of the same thing today. I had an "oldies" station on my radio, and Bruce Chanell's "Hey, Baby" came on. Great old tune. but we both recalled that songs we liked as small kids and pre-teens fell into disfavor when we became solid teen-agers, and way too cool to like that "old stuff" anymore. Fortunatley, we outgrew it. And I, too, now hear stuff in old recordings not heard before. Maybe it IS due to better sound equipment. And digital remastering of old analog stuff. I also like songs on CD re-issues of albums that I DIDN'T like when they came out on vinyl. Did THEY catch up to ME, or I THEM? Hmmmm.... Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

To me, [i]music puts a different spin on time[/i]. I can listen to the Allman Bros./"Ain't Wasting Time No More" & everything seems so immediate & crucial... then if I hear John Lennon crooning one of those Beatley dream songs (like "Only Sleeping" or "Across The Universe") I just go lax...

It's funny, I'm often struck these days by how sloppy and off key a lot of 60s music was. Even much of 70s and 80s punk rock was tight in contrast to a lot of that stuff! Don't get me wrong, I love the 60s; but my ear has become sensitized to sloppiness and intonation after years of hearing sequenced and AutoTuned music.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived