Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boz Scaggs was sucking CO2

At least, that's what it looked like. I went to his concert last weekend. I noticed he was using an odd looking mic stand early on. S-shaped. I thought to myself I had never seen one like it. Almost an hour later, I said "Gee, his mic is smoking!" Then we confirmed that yep, it is definitely smoking. Well, as it turns out, his mic stand wasn't s-shaped, it was a regular stand with plastic hose fastened to it and carrying something. Oxygen? CO2? I have never seen anything like this, so whatever it is, I sure would like to know. His show was good, BTW.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by PinheadWewus: [b]It's got to be a [url=http://www.vintageamps.com/talkbox.html]guitar talkbox[/url] . The smoke was probably condensation caused by the difference in temperature between the warm air in the tube and the temperature of the air.[/b][/quote]DOOO YOUUUU FEEEEELLLLL...LIKE WEEE DOOOOO?????
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

It was controlled amounts of Vick's Vapo-Rub. In small amounts it causes visions of sweet babushkas and dancing bolsheviks, giving the recipient a slight Tchiakovskiesque lilt to his musical performance. Damm this is goood beere :freak:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

He definitely plays guitar (every song except maybe one... I think it was a Les Paul) and it definitely was not a talkbox. Well, put it this way, it kinda looked like a talkbox tube but he didn't do anything like that. He just sang normally the whole show. I am curious as hell about this. I thought maybe he piped in some kind of gas for his vocal chords. Very odd.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

Boz Scaggs! Geez, he DO play a fine guitar! Or DID! Haven't seen him live since '71, so don't know if he still plays onstage. In his disco-funk days of the late '70's, I saw him on the tube without it. Hope his baby's still callin' him home! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I remember reading about some musician / inventor who noticed that one reason so many people "sing in the shower" is that the steamy conditions are good for the vocal chords... warms 'em up... so he built a device that would provide "steam" for singers while they were playing live... My "guess" is that Boz had something like that going... 'Ya think? guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Yeah that must have been what it was. Sounds like a good thing to have. I remember doing this outdoor festival. I got on stage and my throat was so dry I could hardly sing. So I go into this instrumental thing and start walking around the stage looking for the so called stage manager who is nowhere to be found or, something to drink, anything. So, tho only thing on stage was an old beer with a cigarette floating in it. So I'm thinking, do I take a swig of this or totally stop the show to get some water. Luckily someone had noticed my dilemma and came out with the water.

The first use of talkbox on an album was on The Iron Butterfly's Metamorphosis album, on the track Butterfly Blue. It's really a ground breaking album, not a lot like any thing else the Iron Butterfly did. It's in the veign of Moby Grape, dual guitar lead, proto-prog, Righteous Brothers type harmonies, psych california style rock. Mike Pinera, one of the guitar players, worked with the inventor of the talk box, to hone the sound. The "magic bag"(talk box) that Jeff Beck used on his classic recordings was the very same original prototype used by Mike Pinera on the Iron Butterfly material. After the recording, Jeff balked about giving it back because he had replaced the driver (after burning it out). He still has it. By the way, Peter Frampton started using his talk box after a stint opening up for RAMATAM, Pinera's band after Iron Butterfly. Mike Pinera deserves the credit for popularizing the electric lisp sound we're all so familiar with today.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

CO2 won't kill you (you exhale it all the time). CO will kill you.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Ah, so I have confused the di-oxide with the mono-oxide. Needless to say I flunked Chemistry. Carbon Dioxide is everywhere in soft drinks and whatnot. Never mind. But what if he was sucking Carbon Monoxide from a car parked back stage. That would be funny, right?

Come [i]on[/i] peeps... You just know that thing was connected to a [url=http://www.hookahstore.com/]Hookah[/url] ! ;)
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

[quote]Originally posted by SFOracle: [b]CO2 won't kill you (you exhale it all the time). CO will kill you.[/b][/quote]Wrong, both will - if you wre ebreathing CO2 through an 'oxygen' mask etc instead of 02, eventually your electrolytes would go to shit etc and death.... Never argue with a nurse :)

Actually, both will kill you. Monoxide of the carbon form is more deadly though, and is more well known for that. Carbon Dioxide will kill you if you're in an environment with almost no oxygen. :wave:

"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. Unless you are a table."

-Mitch Hedberg

John Entwistle used to have a gizmo attached to his mic stand that was made of several bicyclist water bottles that allowed him to sip various bevvies (water, cognac, etc.) while continuing to play! Re: Boz Skaggs---I once saw him on a bill with Little Feat (the Lowell G. version); they invited him out to sing "Willin'"---shoulda seen him trying to catch the "...Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachepe to Tonopah..." lyrics! :D

[quote]Originally posted by GT3: [b]The first use of talkbox on an album was on The Iron Butterfly's Metamorphosis album, on the track Butterfly Blue. [/b][/quote]I believe that Alvino Rey (b. Alvin McBurney, 1908) was the first to record using that effect on his steel guitar back in the '50s, and possibly as early as the '40s. It's certainly evident on quite a few of the sessions he did for Esquivel during the '50s. George

Archived