Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How did YOU Break out of the Bar scene??

It seems up until now, no matter what else I try to do, I always seem to get lured back into playing the Bar scene again. I quit my Dot.com Job out in Silicone Valley in 2000 because i saw the writing on the wall and fell back on my other skill...Playing music live..And I'm successfull at it..I make more $$ then most of my friends with "real" Jobs..The only problem is as you all probably know, it sucks the creative life out of you day in and day out..Plus it rags me out and i'm unble to put enough effort in furthering my own musical/production efforts to the degree with which I would like...I do FINALLY have a solid plan to get myself out, but surely some of you must have gone through similar trials in your lives, and I was wondering if anyone would care to share your story of how your broke out of the Bar scene. Or if you never were in my position, how you would break out. HAVING to play bars SUCKS!!!!!!

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Playing bars as opposed to what? Concerts or showcases? Private parties? (Off to one side)"YEAH MOLLY, GIMME ANOTHER BUD WHILE I'M TUNING UP"... What bar scene? :D :D :D Nope. I'm stuck too...I guess. One thing, what area are you in? I think it depends on whether you want to play music for money or for art. Playing for money turns you into a human jukebox (PLAY SKYNRD!!!). Playing for art doesn't pay the bills, but can be much more satisfying.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

What I Mean, is HAVING to play for the $$...yes, Having to be a human jukebox which i definitely unfortunately am at this point. How did you break out of the position that i'm in...HAVING to play to survive?? I would love to play for my enjoyment and the furthering of my art..That's what i'm working toward.

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

Well, Sven, hmmm, it's hard to say...but you have two options... One...your stuff will find an audience that really wants to hear it, and you'll start getting more and more support. Your CD will thrive, start getting some local airplay...and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to eke out a living on that. But, there are some relatively well-known folks who have done that and aren't really what you'd call financially well off. The other option is having a lucrative enough day gig that will support you doing your art when you can, and for whom you choose. This is usually the more practical route, but perhaps not as satisfying.

I just got so tired of not having a home and no routine or stability. I think i just got to a point also where i felt like i wasn't growing and my position as a "PLayer" was going nowhere because i wasn't interested in playing the music people wanted to see in clubs and i hit a wall with my enthusiasm to get good enough to move to the next level and make more than $500 a week. I have always planned to have a career in music and to make quite a bit of money. Being a player was only a step in becoming the around dude i envision myself as. So I quit and did what ever i had to to reorganize my lifestyle so i could move on to recording,writing and of course producing. Right now i am about a third of the way up that totem pole or i at least feel like the tools are there, the talent and experience i very much hope will follow. Couldn't be happier than i am right now. And i was along way from feeling that way when i went to bed at 4am every morning in a hotel with my suitcases and electric cooler.

[quote]Originally posted by verydarkhallsingalongs: [b]I just got so tired of not having a home and no routine or stability. I think i just got to a point also where i felt like i wasn't growing and my position as a "PLayer" was going nowhere because i wasn't interested in playing the music people wanted to see in clubs and i hit a wall with my enthusiasm to get good enough to move to the next level and make more than $500 a week. I have always planned to have a career in music and to make quite a bit of money. Being a player was only a step in becoming the around dude i envision myself as. So I quit and did what ever i had to to reorganize my lifestyle so i could move on to recording,writing and of course producing. Right now i am about a third of the way up that totem pole or i at least feel like the tools are there, the talent and experience i very much hope will follow. Couldn't be happier than i am right now. And i was along way from feeling that way when i went to bed at 4am every morning in a hotel with my suitcases and electric cooler.[/b][/quote]That's EXACTLY how i feel!!! How did you get out of it? What did you do specifically? Also, I dig Whitehorse!! Been through there a bunch as I've driven the ALCAN Highway a bunch of times on my way back and forth to AK. Thanks for your input!

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

[quote]Originally posted by sventvkg: [b]It seems up until now, no matter what else I try to do, I always seem to get lured back into playing the Bar scene again. [/b][/quote]That pretty much says it right there.You have to completely focus your energies on what you really wan't to do,and along with that comes sacrafice,big time sacrafice,and big time luck.It comes down to how big a price do you want to pay?
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b]Sventvkg, what are the things you hate about the bar scene? And how do you earn more than most people at their regular jobs? That's unusual, right?[/b][/quote]I'm no high roller or anthing but i have some nice paying gigs that are regular so end up doing alright $$ wise...Things I hate about the Bar scene...The fact that I have to play a bunch of shit that I don't care about...That's not too different from any job really...Ragging yourself out 5 gigs a week where i'm forced to sing 4 hours at a clip begins to wear on you. On your time off the last thing you want to do is play or do too much musically so it really messes up your own creativity. I also just hate the vibe down here in Bars..The whole game...I don't drink or hang out in Bars so there is that as well...I never set out to play Mostly covers in Bars for drunk idiots who can not dicern between brittany spears and Joni Mitchell..Just sort of fell into it and it's what i fall back into when I move from somewhere or try something else that doesn't work out...Anyway, It's no big deal..I just thought some other people would have some stories that would inspire me, about how they pulled themselves out of the Bar gig GRIND, because I assure you It is a grind....

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

Sean, I'm going to try a suggestion here. I really really see what kind of circumstances/situation you're in, and I've been very "close to there". Try to see your bar gigs as opportunities. Yes, you "have" to be there. Yes, there are very wearing elements. My suggestion: Little by little, try to "adjust" the elements that you can control. Bring in a song or two each week that is more to your taste. If you write, interest the band in performing your songs. Make sure that the songs you write are at least commercial enough to "reach" the average bar patron. Replace "Old Time Rock And Roll" and "Mustang Sally" with obscure covers that haven't been over done. If you must do popular artists, try looking at some of their better works that have fallen by the wayside but still have tremendous merit. Every little thing that you can do will pay off long term, if it's done with good taste. The key is to be patient and bear in mind the bigger picture. Every thing you do will also meet resistance, either in the band or audience, so be prepared to diplomatically smooth people down, and let them "catch up" to your way of thinking. Above all, Don't Quit! The same people who initially throw a rod when they see change will often be the most appreciative and loyal when they start to see the change working. It takes time for this process to really get under way, and if you hang it up and go do something else, you're never going to know the benefit. Okay? ;)

I broke out of the bar scene by developing a case of tendonitis. I had to put the guitar away for a few years. Nowadays, i can't seem to get a band together at all. Hrmm.. that almost sounds worthy of its own topic.. heh.. ===================================================== #include

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

We occasionally play bars. I like playing some bars, like The Joint. That's where Lee Flier played when she was in town for the IPO gigs during the summer. I don't see what's wrong with them. We also play bigger clubs like the Knitting Factory and The Mint and Spaceland. For us, it was just simply mailing out CDs and hoping that bookers would like it. We don't draw very well most of the time, but bookers really love the music and think it's really original-sounding and so we constantly get pretty good gigs. We're lucky!!!

In SoCal, there's not a lot of regular money to be made playing the bar scene, unless your stuff really develops a draw. My act does covers, and playing clubs is part of our investment in getting private parties. We have a few clubs where we've got a great draw and good relationship with the owners, but thay doesn't mean they're paying us anywhere near what a private client does. It just doesn't work that way. So, about my band, I'd say that the "bar scene" represents 20% of our gigs and maybe 10% of our income. Does that mean we've broken out?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I got lucky. A friend developed his own (small) studio & gradually built connections making commercials, industrial films, etc., even at small-time level the budgets are nice & allow me to spend time literally playing with music & composing. A few hundred bucks for a couple hours of tootling with a tune fragment or continuing to chase the brass ring of performance "popularity"?...Hmm---tough choice :rolleyes: !

Man- you guys' stories sound so familier- I spent years and years playing in bars and trying to get original music out at the same time- we finally got a deal on a small label and got an agent- played 120 dates in 1998- but I eventually got tired of being away from wife and kids soooooo often- I ended up getting some gear from the record label as an advance on CD #2 and now have a commercial studio. I actually miss the occasional club gig! But now I can stay home if I want on a Saturday night...

Nice stuff on your site, Sean. I live on the west coast of Florida, near Fort Myers. All you can experience live musically out here bar-wise is the same old shit, day in, day out. "Brown eyed girl", "Old time rock and roll", Jimmy Buffet-barf-ola-a go-go, Raymond da' Reggae guy de jour, etc, ad nauseum. This is what the drunk-ass crowds want down here. Tanktops, tatoo's, mullet haircuts, bad teeth... and breath to match.....these are the night-crawlers out this way. Must be worse that Boynton for sure. Little class, culture, and lazy as shit, most folks down here have NO appreciation for [i]musicians[/i] or really great "listening" music. Quite a difference from N.Y.C., but the quality of life is considerably better than NYC, believe it or not. I must say that the more I look at your situation and mine as well, I see ô¿ô professional musicians down here almost as pool cleaners, landscapers, etc. They offer the same old shit, very few have any INDIVIDUAL artistic balls, let alone [i]any[/i] [i]PASSION[/i] , and I will be damned to be up there on stage and singing to someone elses CD backups like most of these "pros". Like karaoke down here all over.....except.....the dude on stage has a gee-tar and can strum a bit. Oh wow, impressive. I though I was going to do the "bar" scene myself as I did for a few months 25 years ago. After much investigation, I said....."fuck this". I will work on originals in my little studio, send some in to A+R folks when [i]I[/i] am ready, see what happens, and keep my day job which I happen to love and do well at. One local clubowner out here.....with a new club, agreed with my statement to her regarding the music she wants in her club. "So you want the musician to be like "wallpaper", I inquired? She agreed. She also went on to state, if here patrons wanted to listen to a "concert", they could go see the Moody Blues playing at a nearby venue. And the logo of this club boasted a HUGE treble clef from the matchbooks to all over the exterior of her fledgling business. Scum of the earth owners out there!!. Hope she goes down like 80% of the restaurant businesses do. Sick of her ilk. Sick of the whole scene. She wanted a pillsbury dough-boy playing "Moon River" and "Feelings". This twat is major out of touch. I thought the idea is to bring in and [i]KEEP[/i] customers IN THE FRIGGIN PLACE......so they can....uh.....get wasted? LOL. Truly sorry for rambling.....just my thoughts on the passing scene....I apologise. ----ROB

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

Thanks for all the replies but still, no one really explained about how they broke out of HAVING to play Human jukebox....Maybe there are less people here that were in my position then i thought. Original gigs a few times a month are not what i'm talking about....it's when Being a Human jukebox 4-5 times a week every week is REQUIRED for you to make a living..That's what i'm talking about not being able to take anymore. Sound Diagnosis said it best and he nailed the gist of it down here....Tough to get out of it when you make 8-9 bills a week and have no severance pay, unemployment, vacation, comp time, etc to hold you over when you are trying to make a career change. Hence you get roped in. I even have some nice things going with my original singer/songwriter career and can not exploit them because of my "job". I guess my status work wise, may be more rare then I had previously thought? Anyway, as always, comments welcome and appreciated.

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

There are many talented folks out there who would kill to make 8 or 9 bills a week being a human jukebox. Being a full time musician is not an easy path. It is hard all the time, but if you are truly committed to this path you will pay the price. Years ago I was a touring musician. I made a good living but I was on the road 11+ months a year. When I got married I moved into studio work and production so that I could stay home. I had to get a day gig to pay the bills and support my family, while I worked at the production thing at night. Eventually I started my own production company. That was cool but I soon tired of composing mindless jingles and music for video post. I was also at the same time doing original music and producing other acts. I was getting really burnt polishing turds for minimally talented people just so that I could make a living. To get out of that I started gigging more. For the last 10 years or so I have been playing 5/6 nights a week to pay the bills. During the day I work on original stuff and occaisioonal projects for money. I have two kids in college, it ain't cheap. So what is the point of all this rambling? To be an artist is not a choice. It is a destiny. If you want it there is no alternative. You will do whatever you have to so that you can stay in the game. I for one am very thankfull that 240 times a year someone pays me to bring my energy and music into their room. I do weddings, bars, birtday parties, whatever. It's all about perspective. Would you be happier in an office? I am an artist and an entertainer. This is my life. It is what I was put here to do. Between the studio and the gigs I usually work 80 hours a week. Thats what it takes If you are making a living in this biz you are a step ahead of most people who are trying to. Make plans, get a strategy to move out of clubs. But in the meantime, be grateful for where you are at. Thats the best I got.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [QB]There are many talented folks out there who would kill to make 8 or 9 bills a week being a human jukebox. QB][/quote]Yea I hear ya brother and I do not take it for granted..I will say though, I'm Very good at what I do and I have earned my way into this position. It's not a fluke or accident. You know how it is, one person's heaven is someone elses hell and so on and so forth....I'm glad you are doing well and able to support yourself gigging too! You happen to find it artistic, and that's also very cool..Most of the musicians around here would also kill to be in my position..I understand all this, but ironically I find it artistically stifling and feel more and more trapped by it. So, I'm getting out of it..I could always play and make money so if I end up going back to it part time it's no prob. For me, it's just the fact that I'm going to go out and do things I want to do with my own music..Very limited human jukebox cover things...that I cant take anymore! I'm also confident I can do fairly well there as well once i'm out of the cover trap. I know many of you would love to make a living playing..Playing ANYTHING is generally better then a day gig for most artists right? Well, maybe, maybe not..from my standpoint of doing this for the last 12 years full time, I say it burns you out and robs you of your true creative juices...This is my experience and the experience of other artists i have known..If you aren't so much a writer then this may be the perfect gig for you.... However, I will say that although most musicians think they are the caliber to be able to pull off a lucrative full time performance thing, most are not and I do get a fair amount of resentment from other local players. But if you are like me, you likely faced that your entire professional life and you get used to it. If you do want to do what i do, more power to ya..Work hard, be very well rounded vocally and proficient on your instrument, know many many tunes of all genre's and you'll be golden...The most important part of getting and keeping the best gigs though is DO NOT PLAY TOO LOUD FOR THE BAR!!! Thats the area most fail at and it will cost you lots of $$...Good luck and thanks for the replies so far,

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

[quote]Originally posted by sventvkg: [b]Thanks for all the replies but still, no one really explained about how they broke out of HAVING to play Human jukebox....Maybe there are less people here that were in my position then i thought. .[/b][/quote]That's your answer right there. "HAVING". You don't HAVE to do shit. If you want to change, then change...on the way out, give everyone the big one finger salute and say "I'm gone". In reality, you don't "have" to do anything...everything is an option. Of course, those options weigh against each other, and therefore the only reason to do something you don't like is because in a given setting it happens to be the most advantageous at the time. I would offer this. I don't know what your day gig is...but get a profitable enough day gig to alleviate your bar income. It can be music related...if you're a guitar player, start teaching guitar. Or do something completely different. Then, find some local spots where you can do a solo acoustic gig...even if it's just for tips and free drinks or something. It's a liberating experience...for one, to find that you can stand on your own musically. For another, to explore different ways of presenting your material...and the third, and perhaps most important, is that by accepting a freebie here and there, all of a sudden, YOU'RE in control! Obviously, this won't work if you allow bar gigs to be your sole source of income. But, doing the freebie, you can focus on the MUSIC...and if someone hollers "Turn the page" you can just stand up and walk out.

[quote]Originally posted by sventvkg: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Wolfman Tedster: [b] [quote]Originally posted by sventvkg: [b]Thanks for all the replies but still, no one really explained about how they broke out of HAVING to play Human jukebox....Maybe there are less people here that were in my position then i thought. .[/b][/quote]That's your answer right there. "HAVING". You don't HAVE to do shit. If you want to change, then change...on the way out, give everyone the big one finger salute and say "I'm gone". In reality, you don't "have" to do anything...everything is an option. Of course, those options weigh against each other, and therefore the only reason to do something you don't like is because in a given setting it happens to be the most advantageous at the time. I would offer this. I don't know what your day gig is...but get a profitable enough day gig to alleviate your bar income. It can be music related...if you're a guitar player, start teaching guitar. Or do something completely different. Then, find some local spots where you can do a solo acoustic gig...even if it's just for tips and free drinks or something. It's a liberating experience...for one, to find that you can stand on your own musically. For another, to explore different ways of presenting your material...and the third, and perhaps most important, is that by accepting a freebie here and there, all of a sudden, YOU'RE in control! Obviously, this won't work if you allow bar gigs to be your sole source of income. But, doing the freebie, you can focus on the MUSIC...and if someone hollers "Turn the page" you can just stand up and walk out.[/b][/quote][/b][/quote]Ted, that's just the problem I'm addressing here. MY DAY GIG IS GIGGING...It pretty much always has been exept for the year I worked for a dot.com in the bay area writing, prudicing, engineering, Pro Tooling, for corporate, web, video etc etc...I know yuo don't HAVE to do shit, but you HAVE to have replacement income for what you quit, right? This is what I was asking, how did people get it out the situation I was in..how did they move on to something else to replace the income....Just wanted to hear about some other creative ways that other forumites have done it. If I could just quit and go work at Starbucks I would!!!! LOL Or at least cut down to a couple nights a week but everyone would love to cut their day job back to part time, but then we can't make a living!!

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

Hmmm, well, (this is rhetorical, you don't have to answer)... What do you make gigging? What sort of other job could you do during the day that would allow you to approximate your current lifestyle, monetarily speaking? To me, you're answering your own questions. If gigging is a day gig to you, what does anyone else who's tired of their current day gig do? They get another one. I wouldn't advise you quitting gigging until you've got something in the bag though. But, look for a "normal" job. One that will allow you nights off for musical pursuits (not bar gigs). Even if it means working at Starbucks. I've got a buddy in Michigan, great guitarist...he was in a house band doing the musical jukebox thing. Otherwise, he teaches guitar and does odd jobs on the side. The club they were working was a four night a weeker. Then they cut down to two. All the clubs were cutting back on live entertainment during the week. Then, he just got canned from the band after having differences with the guy who owns most of the equipment. So, he's been kind of forced into a different situation. There is work out there. It might not be exactly what you have in mind, but if it allows you enough free time to pursue music, give it a try.

[quote]Originally posted by sventvkg: [b]Thanks for all the replies but still, no one really explained about how they broke out of HAVING to play Human jukebox.... Tough to get out of it when you make 8-9 bills a week and have no severance pay, unemployment, vacation, comp time, etc to hold you over when you are trying to make a career change. [/b][/quote]I think your question may be a little vague. Break out of HAVING to play the Human jukebox. It makes sense. You are tired of doing the bar scene, and you want out. But break out to where? This is the part that I don't get. You haven't defined a destination. If the question is simply "How do I make a living by NOT playing music?", that's easy. Stop playing gigs and get yourself a 'real' job. If you're trying to transition into something higher up in the music field, well, start playing the 'demo' game. See if you can attract some label interest. Be aware that your chances of landing a lucrative recording deal are slim, and sustaining it as a full-time career is even worse. I could go on, but like I said, you haven't really told us what you want to break out to. Also, you mention 8 to 9 bills a week. How many bills is 'bills'? 1's 10's 100's 1000's etc. Solo or with a band? And are you paying taxes/purchasing health insurance, etc? Personally, I have had VERY poor luck with bands. The thing about bands is that -for me- they are very limiting, in a creative sense. You are almost certainly limited to guitar oriented material (honestly, I love guitars -but I'm sick to death of backing them in bands). Somebody always ends up quitting, or the band ends up folding for one reason or another. The bands I've played in generally exist for roughly a year. I'm really tired of that. I have been working on putting together my own solo project for some time now. It started out as a band, but I've had enough trouble finding decent reliable musicians, that I've decided not to even bother. This way, I'm not left holding the bag a year into playing out because the band members start quitting. Also, I don't have to share the profits -which makes sense since I'm also having to purchase all of the gear. Bringing home that kind of money could certainly allow me to recoup my investment in a reasonable amount of time. The other thing I'm looking forward to about it is playing popular dance oriented music. Everything from Marvin and Smokey to New Order, Prince, and more current stuff. No more AC/DC. No more Mony Mony. No more Old Time R&R! It's simply not that kind of project. And I'm thinking that the crowds will enjoy it because it's danceable, it's good music that people will recognize, and it's not the stuff every other band plays. Most bands either won't, or can't play the music I plan to be doing. So it's a bit unique. I'm hoping to find upscale bar/clubs that cater to a professional crowd. From there I want to branch out into private events. This is my plan for 'breaking out' of the blue-collar traditional bar scene, and for breaking out of the typical band scene, and for breaking out of the tired 40-song set list (you know the songs -we all played 'em). But, I don't think stops me from being a "Human Jukebox". I'll still be playing covers -but they will be covers *I* enjoy playing. Also, I won't be playing originals either. But as a solo musician, I have full control over the 'arrangement' of the covers I do. So I can be creative and 'original' in that sense.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Ted, I'm with ya man...At the rist of the IRS seeing this, I net around 8 bills a week or so...sometimes more but averaged through the year, it's around that...Not too bad a take home for me...I've done the teaching and pretty much all the other music related money making things but i have come up with a creative way for me to move forward in my musical goals..I was interested in some other ideas too, but here is mine...First off, i'm moving to Nashville...I just played up there and really dug the vibe. Plus meet some really nice artists/writers up there who are willing to show me the ropes, rules, etc...As everyone knows most all music people up there have to have day jobs anyway....So what i'm going to do is drive a Truck, team, over the road for a couple years..the pay is good, I'll keep my expenses minimal, pay off debts, save $$ for a house to put studio in...On my off days i'll be home in Nashville hitting the writers nights, playing the odd showcase, festival, etc. I'll write, Demo on the road with my portable PT rig, and make the sacrifice for a couple years.....Will buy a place in Nashville after about a year, then a year or so later i Want to buy a Place in Anchorage AK....This way I can spend 6 months of the year there when it's really nice, writing, performing, etc etc, and then 6 months based out of Nashville, and in the lower 48 touring, writing, producing, etc....It's a cool plan for me but may not work for others...And ya never know what may come up...So that's my plan to get out...

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

Sounds like you've got a plan. Housing is expensive in Anchorage...I used to live there. Say hi to the locals up there when ya go (not that any of 'em would remember me, I didn't gig much there). But, I'd like to live in Alaska on occasion, too, if I could afford it. Sounds like you're getting some ideas! Good! Let us know how it pans out...

[quote]Originally posted by Wolfman Tedster: [b]Sounds like you've got a plan. Housing is expensive in Anchorage...I used to live there. Say hi to the locals up there when ya go (not that any of 'em would remember me, I didn't gig much there). But, I'd like to live in Alaska on occasion, too, if I could afford it. Sounds like you're getting some ideas! Good! Let us know how it pans out...[/b][/quote]Wow man, Small world..I lived up there from July 95 till Dec 97...i LOVE IT THERE!~ Miss it every day! When did you live there? I didn't find housing to be too bad up there compared to California and this area of FL..I mean it's more then here but not out of reach. You know why i want to live there May-October then! I don't have to tell you!

Sean Michael Mormelo

www.seanmmormelo.com

Archived