Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum machines? which one should I get? or maybe I don't need one?

I'm looking for really good drum machine, I'm talking about alot of user pattern, user rythm sets or kits, multiple programmable fill-ins (drum rolls), in sync with my synth.......

I use an Roland XP-60 with the senqencer.....I can uses the rythm sets but I think It will be more interactive to usea drum machine. but I need a good one.

Now I'm checking this BOSS DR-770 Dr. Rhythm (a blue drum machine)

is it good for studio and live performance???

any way, now I found an R8 at a used instrument store for $450 (canadian) plus taxes...... an R-8 not an r8mkII so I played with it for like 10 minutes and as I was playing with it I was like what is so special with the R-8?????

I figured that my XP-60 is good enough I have alot of percussion sounds and that I don't need a drum machine but when I get to the 75th measure of my sequenced song I get some memory problems..... so that is my main issue, memory concerns cause my songs or around 120 measures or like 5 minutes

so should I

1) forget about a drum machines cause the XP-60 does everything already.

or

#2) get the Roland R-8 ($450 plus taxes Can.) cause someone will explain why it's so special......

or

#3) get the Boss 770, new for $589 can. plus taxes, cause it's a more recent machine and its the same as the R-8......

THANKS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe you might want to look into one of the grooveboxes by Roland. You get a rhythm section and a bunch of other synth sounds to go with it. Depends on what style of music your making too. I've managed to collect a bunch of rhythm machines and all for different reasons... I think nowadays you can get one of the MC-303's for about $400.00 or so.. that might be a good starter.

The R8 was cool when it came out 12 years ago, but unless you want all your stuff to sound like it came from 1989, don't get it. Yeah, I know, you can get soundcards for it with other sounds, and it's got tons of individual outputs so you can process the sounds; but it still sounds _really_ dated.

You can probably do everything you want with the XP-60. The 770 has more drum sounds, but it seems like a lot of them are fairly similar, so you may not be gaining anything oer the XP60. Although the 770 would give you a drum machine interface, which you might like for being able to string patterns together live.

Jonathan

Years ago, I was hired to teach someone to use the R8. I never liked the box. There was too much stuff to get in the way of the music. Could be too many bells and whistles. Anyway this guy had been using a TR-626 until he got the R8. After a few teaching sessions, I suggested that he find a used 626 since he already knew that box - and he wasn't taking to the R8 that fast.

My $0.02 is to keep looking for something a little newer in the Roland family or even older (I'm having loads of fun with a TR-606 these days).

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

http://www.f7sound.com

I think a DR-770 is a great investment! You can string patterns together with the pattern play function, also you can sequence whole songs and save it as a song to be triggered from your sequencer.

My only complaint is that you can't edit the presets without copying them to a user file first. But there are 400 or so of these user spots so memory isn't a problem. I really like this machine, and I think a drum machine is always a wise investment if you do alot of work solo.

You may also want to check out the Alesis SR16, I've heard some good things about that unit as well.

------------------

"Lets test his powers!"

-Espresso Guy

"Lets test his powers!"

-Espresso Guy

Originally posted by lastresort001@aol.com:

The alesis sr-16 was a good unit. I say "was" because I fried mine. But the limited time I did have with it, I found some really nice sounding drum kits. It's cheap too.

Yeh,

I have an SR-16 tucked away. I always liked it cuz it's easy to program and nice sounding. I think one can be had new for less than $200.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

http://www.f7sound.com

I use an Alesis SR-16..... it is really awesome for live playing, you can control tempo, start/stop, and fill-ins all from the two footpedals. Although it probably doesn't have as many user patterns as you would like........ 50 user patterns total, with two variations and two fills for each. It does have 50 user drum kits though..... which should be enough for just about anybody. The sounds are, mostly, quite good.... velocity switching is a little too noticeable.... but definitely useable. Also look for the Boss DR-670.... it just came out a few weeks ago at MusicMesse (I think that's when it came out anyhow)..... it has 200 user patterns (I'm not sure whether a "pattern" includes variations and fills though), 64 user drum kits, 255 waveforms, 16 different bass guitar sounds (and the ability to program bass lines into your patterns... very nice!)..... and it is only $300 (USD).... not too shabby if you ask me. Check it out......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/key/010517053712024004254165144443?pid=700289

Those are my two recommendations..... if you go with Boss.... might as well get the newest and best one they've got! And if you don't go with Boss..... go with the SR-16.... hope this helps.

------------------

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son; that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This message has been edited by KeyboardFreak on 05-18-2001 at 01:42 PM

Archived