Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

POLL: Are you tired of political debates on this forum?

I'm far from tired of political or religious debates and I hope I never will be, What I am tired of is the whole liberal/conservative bias that these debates seem to inevitably grativate towards. I'm liberal in many of my views; this is does not mean that I automatically oppose any right-wing views here but I keep seeing the same few right-wing posters appearing on threads and dragging the standard of debate down from something that was interesting and turning it into a slanging match where they're always eager to keep track of which side is 'winning' (whatever that means) The debate is then worthless and if I'm late to a thread and this has already happened I usually stay away now .. it's just too much hassle to even bother posting, It's even more frustrating to be a part of a thread and then see it dragged into the gutter,
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Y'know, this forum is sort of like the local bar around election day.... Very low signal-to-noise ratio, everybody thinks their opinion really matters, and it all amounts to nothing but hot air. I guess man is a social animal, and will communicate even when it serves no purpose but to fill the empty voids between actual thoughts.... Like, for example, this message you're reading right now - - a complete waste of bandwidth...

Religion and Politics. People are impassioned about these concerns because they affect our daily lives. When has music and songwriting been unconcerned about religion and politics. I daresay,any creative artist that lends his art to these topics is held in higher regard and elicits more passion and appreciation than an artist that seeks not to offend. The beauty of this bulletin board is that it's population of posters is not so large so that you can't see your thoughts reflected in response posts. Challenges to one's own personal beliefs and challenging others provides growth and depth of self understanding and the understanding of other people. What could be better for people involved in the arts?

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis

maintain their neutrality."

[Dante Alighieri] (1265-1321)

Good to hear all your thoughts on this subject. You guys do have an effect on the way I think and feel about a lot of things. The vote is a lot closer than I thought it would be. There's just some people on here that bug me. I don't want to censor them though, I just wish they'd shut the hell up. :D I guess I have to let this place be what it has always been: [b]A Home For Crazy People.[/b] You know what? Lately, I'm just out of things to say, so, enjoy it while can. Later-Steve

Wewus, your last post sounds almost like a farewell post. You had better NOT stop posting in this forum, or I'll get in my car, drive to North Carolina, and kick your ASK!!! One of the reasons I check in here is to see what you have posted that day, whether it's one of your [b]crazy[/b] posts, or one of your thoughtful, [b]insightful[/b] posts. So there.

Well, I think that we can all learn from some of the political debates. They're healthy, they're great learning tools which can help us strengthen our knowledge base. HOWEVER, when they get to attacking each other calling people ignorant, stupid, or worse, they lose their effectiveness. Personally, I think we ought to have mutual respect for one another and refrain from name calling. It's only humane. We're not idiots. I seriously doubt that anyone here is stupid or malicious. I just think that some people get their feelings hurt when others don't agree with them and then lash out at them. I must admit, I got pretty angry with a couple of people here. We all have enough of that in real life, we should reserve this as a 'haven' and perhaps a place where folk with common interests can get together and HELP each other--not tear them down. Rick

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b]...I'll get in my car, drive to North Carolina, and kick your ASK!!! [/b][/quote]I GOTS to get me a beverage-proof monitor reading you guys! Agree with your post 100%, DracuBunny. I'm changing my handle to Count Botchula! :D

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Anifa: That was an obvious joke and I'm just not believing that you didn't get it because I know for a FACT that you're not stupid. That was like three or four weeks ago and then suddenly it comes up. Huh? What? Nobody here ever thought I had genital herpes. So what I see is I hurt your feelings by commenting on something you said. I wasn't talking just to you. I think it's [b]disrespectful[/b] on a thread about someone that has just died to do or say anything but give condolences or mention good things about that person. Senator Paul Wellstone was a real flesh and blood human being just like you and me and not just an internet topic.

Well ya know that's just bullshit and on the very slim chance it's not then you should not be talking about it on the internet. Just [b]STOP[/b] , ok. Turn your computer off and walk outside and look at the beautiful fall weather because you are seriously freaking me and everyone else out.

[quote]Originally posted by george costanza: [b]Well, it's hard to argue with Anifa's points! :confused: [/b][/quote]Well, I do want to comment on several of her points:

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b]Ken, you forgot to address:[/b][/quote]Thanks, man. It's so easy to overlook that sometimes!!!

Archived